Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T350 trans build advice. (Neon)

turbo addict

T350 trans build advice. (Neon)

I need to uprade the trans in my Neon. I have a full SRT swap done, and the trans is the next objective to tackle. Right now I am running a Spec stage 2+ clutch. Im having issues with getting into first gear when stopped. 4th and 5th also are picky at high speeds. Downshifting is almost impossible.

Trans makes a grinding (Wind noise sound) on decel, and makes odd popping noises when slowing down. Seems to shift perfect at full throttle though

Im thinking its due for a fresh rebuild. I want to stick with the SPEC 2, and needs some sort of LSD. Qaufie would be nice, but not sure If I can afford it. How are the Neon OBX's?

Any rebuild kits for the neon trans?

Car is making stock power now...about 250hp, and I will probally not get to crazy with it. Maybe 350hp max. Keep in mind Im only at 2300-2400 lbs too!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Re: T350 trans build advice. (Neon)

FWIW, the Neon OBX is what most people are running in their 555s/568s.

I'm interested in upgrading/building these trans too, as I may be running one in my Daytona.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    FWIW, the Neon OBX is what most people are running in their 555s/568s.

I'm interested in upgrading/building these trans too, as I may be running one in my Daytona.
    I looked at what it takes to rebuild one and there are some special tools for rebuild so you should check into that. The main and countershaft are pressed into the cases and have to be pressed in together.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

just get an T850 and you'll have the LSD diff.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar View Post
    just get an T850 and you'll have the LSD diff.
    and a slew of issues that come with the outrageous price.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

T850 is going to force me to convert to the hydraulic setup, buy a new clutch, new axles, 2nd gen hubs for the axles, and purchase the trans which may or may not even work good. BTW I cant seem to find them for under $1000

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I'm not really familiar with the 350s yet, but the Neon OBX units work well from all I've read. The one I have looks good, but I have't run it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    I looked at what it takes to rebuild one and there are some special tools for rebuild so you should check into that. The main and countershaft are pressed into the cases and have to be pressed in together.

I have whatever I need to tear it down and put it together. My buddy has been into them before also.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Hybrid booster

The T350 shifts soooo much better than a T850. If you don't need the power handling capability (even that is questionable without some high dollar upgrades) stick with a T350.

I have built several T350's using the special tools and they are cake, however, I can't even imagine disassembly/assembly of the geartrain/shiftrails to the rear case half without the special tools. A press could be optional but even that makes the build super easy.

If you are looking for the special tools I consider essential Miller 6768 and 6785 would be the ones. They are stupid expensive. List price from Miller for the 6768 is $64.73 and 6785 is $390.41. I found them on ebay just now for 35.00 and 284.97 which for the pallet assembly is still scary.

turbo addict

Going to go with the OBX, or possibly the Quaife depending on funds. DSS axles and hubs will be in the mix too.

Quote Originally Posted by glhs0426 View Post
    The T350 shifts soooo much better than a T850. If you don't need the power handling capability (even that is questionable without some high dollar upgrades) stick with a T350.

I have built several T350's using the special tools and they are cake, however, I can't even imagine disassembly/assembly of the geartrain/shiftrails to the rear case half without the special tools. A press could be optional but even that makes the build super easy.

If you are looking for the special tools I consider essential Miller 6768 and 6785 would be the ones. They are stupid expensive. List price from Miller for the 6768 is $64.73 and 6785 is $390.41. I found them on ebay just now for 35.00 and 284.97 which for the pallet assembly is still scary.
    What's the expensive one do?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

I easily converted a T850 to cable setup. I paid less than $400 for one from a junkyard. probably because they didn't know what it was. .
    seems there's more excuses why something cant be done then getting out and just doing it.

Hybrid booster

What's the expensive one do?

It's the pallet fixture that holds all the shift forks/input shaft/output shaft up while you press on/press off the rear case/bearings.

turbo addict

I easily converted a T850 to cable setup. I paid less than $400 for one from a junkyard. probably because they didn't know what it was. .
    seems there's more excuses why something cant be done then getting out and just doing it.
    Huh? I just don't want a T850. Thought about it hard and decided to stick with what I have. Too many things going against it for me and logic tells me to stick with a trans that has proven itself but yet has a bad reputation?

The thread was not made asking about what trans I should get, it was made to obtain information about building a T350. Thanks and Bye!

well, to rebuild it, you'll need a FSM, several specialty tools. a thick wallet full of money to pay for all the parts you'll need. a large assortment of other tools like quality snap ring pliers etc. Along with solid mechanical aptitude, then you can fix your transmission.

Nice, might have to round one up (a pallet fixture that is).
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

turbo addict

well, to rebuild it, you'll need a FSM, several specialty tools. a thick wallet full of money to pay for all the parts you'll need. a large assortment of other tools like quality snap ring pliers etc. Along with solid mechanical aptitude, then you can fix your transmission.
    I think hes got it....

I'm pretty sure that you made some posts and we all were glad to help you out, why do you need to be such an a$$ when you "help" someone else?

turbo addict

Never said I was going to rebuild it myself. There is even several knowledgeable transmission people in the turbo dodge community.

I'm pretty sure he has a fair amount of mechanical aptitude Besides the 850 has it's share of problems too. Like 3rd gear synchros and shift forks.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Hybrid booster

I'm pretty sure he has a fair amount of mechanical aptitude Besides the 850 has it's share of problems too. Like 3rd gear synchros and shift forks.
    and the shift selector, and the input shaft, and the slave cylinder, and........ One day I will build my T850 sitting on the shelf, when I have enough power it will be built and used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast