Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New 16-V Maserati Valve Cover Gaskets

turbo addict

Re: New 16-V Maserati Valve Cover Gaskets

Damn John, I thought the one that came on the motor that was out of a J-yard was horrible with grey RTV all over it. But at least it wasn't broken.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Well Jay, according to both the seller and the builder, it was a crate motor but by the time I got it and went to check/set the valves, that gasket was brittle and had been glued in with some kind of super sticky glue.

I use acid brushes to paint that sealant - Right Stuff - onto the pieces/surfaces and that keeps it tight, no leaks at all, BUT it is a PITA to get the VC off. Slow steady pressure with a lever, maybe a couple minutes before that stuff releases.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Anything? Seems like nearly three months since last update should provide some test results? Unless the tester is a "blue haired" geezer with a garage queen???

I have a motor here that I would really like to powder coat the valve cover but not sure if I should pull off the non-leaking valve cover or not at this point. It is ready to drop in..

turbo addict

I was also wondering where this project stood?

Garrett booster

Bump for an update?

UPDATE:

We installed the new gasket in a local 16V Masi owners vehicle back in March. See attached photos.

Because of the distance between us (110 miles RT), his busy work schedule and limited mechanical experience we were unable to schedule regular inspections and confirm the gasket was sealing properly. Rather then take a chance we decided to purchase our own vehicle which we could test the gasket as well as future products on. We are in the process of registering/insuring it now and a new gasket is in the process of being installed so we can complete our own testing.

Chris-TU
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5191.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	40051   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5194.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	40052   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5224.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	40053   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5226.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	40056   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5227.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	40054  
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

turbo addict

As Rick told me..welcome to the Masi Brotherhood! LOL

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

Do I spy new bolt grommets as well? That would be nice! I can't remember if that was part of the gasket deal.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Good news, your 'new' '90 CB Masi motor is a much better fitment test than a a preproduction VC Of course the grommets are included Reaper, at lest thats the way *I* remember it

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

so when can i buy a set if i need them? i havent been follwoing this but my 89 is on the road now

I will authorize the manufacture of these products once I am satisfied with the product. We want at least a few 1000 miles on the gasket before we give it our blessing. Just got the vehicle on the road today.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Good news, your 'new' '90 CB Masi motor is a much better fitment test than a a preproduction VC Of course the grommets are included Reaper, at lest thats the way *I* remember it
    We added the spark plug O-Rings to the VC gasket. I will start looking for a source for the grommets but can't include them in with the VC gasket at this time.

Nice try though

Chris-TU

turbo addict

I wonder if those are something Johnny could make? Just an idea...

Garrett booster

this thread must live!

I am still here and not walking away from turbo mopars any time soon. Will still buy four of them like I said previously.

turbo addict

I've been wondering about an update on this as well....

I put in a request for an update. We are still waiting on the spark plug hole gaskets.

Chris-TU

turbo addict

Cool! Thanks!

Been two more months...anything?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Been two more months...anything?
    Ditto!

Maybe you should have me test it out Chris. No offense to whoever your tester is. Believe me I know how things take more time than originally planned, and it could only help to have another source of input..

I have a complete Masi 16v motor on an engine stand. Complete right down to the accessory belts and low mileage to boot. If you supply me with a new valve cover gasket, I would move this priority to the top of the heap. Install into my Shelby Lancer.. Let's make it happen.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast