Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New 16-V Maserati Valve Cover Gaskets

New 16-V Maserati Valve Cover Gaskets

New TC by Maserati item has been added to the TurbosUnleashed.com Website

http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/mase...ets-p-438.html

These reproduction valve cover gaskets will fit the TC by Maserati 16-Valve Cylinder Head manufactured by Cosworth.

Since there is a mold involved any product made in limited quantities is going to be very costly. The mold price alone is close to $10k. Approximately 100 valve cover gaskets will be made of higher quality silicon like the originals, not cheap rubber. We are requiring financial commitments for 40 gaskets @ $150. each in order for us to move forward with this project. As an added incentive to reach our goal sooner we are offering a second gasket for only $100. more. There is a maximum of 2 gaskets per order. When more then two gaskets are required multiple orders must be made.

We have received email commitments totaling more then 40 so far so this goal should not be too difficult to reach. Once the minimum financial commitments have been received manufacturing will commence. We will continue accepting orders for an additional week at the Group Buy price. Turbos Unleashed will stock the remainder of the gaskets, but, at a higher price point.

Hopefully, those who made email commitments on the message boards will follow through financially to avoid production delays for everyone else. We all know who you are so there is no hiding. Manufacturing is expected to take 3 months once we reach our goal.

I'd like to publicly thank Pat Melendy, Alan Jones, Larry Carlson and a few others for bringing this opportunity to the TC club members attention. Without their efforts it would never have gotten this far.

Chris Wright

Turbosunleshed.com

602-762-6678
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16-Valve VC Gaskets.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	31888  
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: New 16-V Maserati Valve Cover Gaskets

Goes to show you when the whiners and tire kickers get out of the way and the real enthusiasts come forward things like this can happen

turbo addict

I'll be commiting to 2!

turbo addict

I've officially committed!

turbo addict

I am committing to two valve cover gaskets, but I will not be pre-paying for a multitude of reasons. I will gladly pay, but only when they are ready to ship. Should this mean I will be paying more for my two gaskets, so be it. I'm fine with that. These gaskets have been talked about being reproduced by a couple different vendors for how long now? Not months, but years, (like 5 years)! I have also made a couple products for the masi 16V motors and required only a verbal commitment from interested parties while fronting thousands of $ and countless hours of my time. TU also had hundreds of my dollars for an extended period of time while trying to sort out a clutch for me. Try as they may, I ultimately ended up finding my own solution. That was a 9 month or so loan. I will note I was issued a refund at my request in a fairly timely manner.
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    I am committing to two valve cover gaskets, but I will not be pre-paying for a multitude of reasons. I will gladly pay, but only when they are ready to ship. Should this mean I will be paying more for my two gaskets, so be it. I'm fine with that. These gaskets have been talked about being reproduced by a couple different vendors for how long now? Not months, but years, (like 5 years)! I have also made a couple products for the masi 16V motors and required only a verbal commitment from interested parties while fronting thousands of $ and countless hours of my time. TU also had hundreds of my dollars for an extended period of time while trying to sort out a clutch for me. Try as they may, I ultimately ended up finding my own solution. That was a 9 month or so loan. I will note I was issued a refund at my request in a fairly timely manner.
    Todd
    Todd,

We commend you for your dedication to invest in this tiny community and as a vendor we feel your pain when it comes to gambling with your own $ assets and time. The minimum quantity of VC gaskets that can be made is 100. Our promise to this community is if we have 40 commitments then we will produce the product and keep the remaining 60 in stock. I feel this is more then fair. How many of your cam sprockets do you still have on your shelf? Not sure what your cash up front commitment was but this one will be over $10k for us with somewhere between $5000-$6000 return for 40 units sold. We would need to sell an additional 40 just to come close to breaking even. If everyone took the same approach as you and did not participate in group buys nothing would ever get made. This attitude will delay and/or possibly prevent this product from ever being manufactured. Keep in mind this is a HUGE gamble for a business like us that doesn't even focus on the TC market. You do focus on that market though.

Here's a good example for you Todd. Take a look at our Radiator thread. http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...configurations...

We conducted a "verbal commitment" poll to see how many would be interested in obtaining a custom radiator. Poll results showed nearly 140 "yes" votes. In the end we struggled to get 20 financial commitments and then sat on the "extra" 15 radiators for longer then we wanted to.

In order to negate your concerns about group buy deposits I extended the following no $ up front offer to the Valve Cover Gasket Group Buy folks as I did to the recent Radiator Group Buy. This should get those "other" customers with a similar mindset as yours to move forward comfortably and without hesitations.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

NEW Group Buy POLICY:

We understand the apprehension some people might have about providing money for a product that may never come to fruition. We don't feel this is fair either so we have decided to do things a little differently.

Our CC orders are processed manually. This means that when you enter your CC information nothing happens with it until we enter it in a CC processing machine. If you provide us with a valid CC# with an expiration date of 1/12 or later we will not charge your CC for anything until we receive a total of 40 valve cover gasket orders. By placing this order though you are committing to the full $150 each/$250 for two Group Buy price once all 40 orders are received. This solves several problems. It doesn't tie up your money for an unknown period of time and it saves us from having to refund the deposits should we not reach our goal of 20 orders. You MUST pay very close attention to this Group Buy Valve Cover thread so you know when your CC will be charged.

Once you place your order on our site you MUST add your name to this thread so everyone will know how many commitments there are. All CC#s will be validated once received and if anyone tries to pull a fast one I can guarantee you they will be publicly chastised in this thread. It will also set everyone back since we will now have to wait longer for more orders to reach the goal of 40.

Unfortunately, this deposit option is not available for those who will be paying with PayPal or Check/Money order.

If you have any questions about this new procedure or feedback please post it in this T-M thread so others can chime in.

Thanks again for everyone's support!!

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Todd,

...If everyone took the same approach as you and did not participate in group buys nothing would ever get made. This attitude will delay and/or possibly prevent this product from ever being manufactured. Keep in mind this is a HUGE gamble for a business like us that doesn't even focus on the TC market.... Chris-TU
    Chris, I tend to differ on your opinion on products never getting made. There have already been quite a few masi 16V products made out of necessity. If there is a big enough market, or if someone needs it bad enough, it will get made. If not by you, by someone else. That is the approach I took. The products I made, I made primarily because I needed them for my application, and I knew no vendor was gonna make them for me. I didn't wait to secure deposits or prepayments from people because I knew it would simply bog down the process of the product being made.
    Don't blame me if these do not get produced by TU. I am committing to buying two from you. If every 16V owner did the same, you could sell a thousand of them. Rest assured, if TU don't make them, someone else eventually will or will find a solution on their own.
    I'm not here to debate this, just posted this to let you know why I won't be prepaying. I understand your position all too well.
    Todd

Mitsu booster

Thumbs up Re: New 16-V Maserati Valve Cover Gaskets

I want to put in my two cents worth - I fully support Chris and the way he is handling this. Even if he gets all the up-front commitments he is asking for, that covers less than half of the cost of the tooling and production of the first run of gaskets. If every owner of a TC 16V bought 2 each over the next 2 years, with all the cars/engines no longer running, that wouldn't add up to the initial production run. If I were doing this (and I have been in the manufacturing business for years) and had to front the $$ for it I would be hard pressed to do it for a product I will be unlikely to make a decent profit on. I commend people like Chris who will take a risk to keep cars like ours on the road when most everyone else from the factory on down has abandoned us...
    Since he isn't charging the card untill the deal is done, I'm not worried a bit.
    Chris, I have ordered 2.
    Thanks,
    Jim McNally

We are currently at 15 deposits. There are 25 left to go. All credit cards # provided will not be charged until we receive the 40 commitments.

Thanks to all of you who backed up your commitments on the message boards with an order.

Chris-TU

We are currently at 16.

Chris-TU

turbo addict

24 to go! YAY! Has anybody gotten a hold of the national Masi club about this yet?

Chris, I tend to differ on your opinion on products never getting made. There have already been quite a few masi 16V products made out of necessity. If there is a big enough market, or if someone needs it bad enough, it will get made. If not by you, by someone else. That is the approach I took. The products I made, I made primarily because I needed them for my application, and I knew no vendor was gonna make them for me. I didn't wait to secure deposits or prepayments from people because I knew it would simply bog down the process of the product being made.
    Don't blame me if these do not get produced by TU. I am committing to buying two from you. If every 16V owner did the same, you could sell a thousand of them. Rest assured, if TU don't make them, someone else eventually will or will find a solution on their own.
    I'm not here to debate this, just posted this to let you know why I won't be prepaying. I understand your position all too well.
    Todd
    Perhaps you should spearhead this valve cover gasket project yourself then? You seem to be so sure that 1000 can be sold when we struggled for months just to get email commitments for 40 units. Where are the other 480 Masi owners hiding?

Chris-TU

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by eejimm View Post
    I want to put in my two cents worth - I fully support Chris and the way he is handling this. Even if he gets all the up-front commitments he is asking for, that covers less than half of the cost of the tooling and production of the first run of gaskets. If every owner of a TC 16V bought 2 each over the next 2 years, with all the cars/engines no longer running, that wouldn't add up to the initial production run. If I were doing this (and I have been in the manufacturing business for years) and had to front the $$ for it I would be hard pressed to do it for a product I will be unlikely to make a decent profit on. I commend people like Chris who will take a risk to keep cars like ours on the road when most everyone else from the factory on down has abandoned us...
    Since he isn't charging the card untill the deal is done, I'm not worried a bit.
    Chris, I have ordered 2.
    Thanks,
    Jim McNally
    Thanks for your words of encouragement Jim.

Chris-TU

turbo addict

Perhaps you should spearhead this valve cover gasket project yourself then? You seem to be so sure that 1000 can be sold when we struggled for months just to get email commitments for 40 units. Where are the other 480 Masi owners hiding?

Chris-TU

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

Thanks for your words of encouragement Jim.

Chris-TU
    Chris,
    Yet again I never said you could sell a thousand of them. I said "if" everyone agreed to purchase two like I said I would, you could sell a thousand of them. Big difference.
    Seems like no one ever has enough forethought to order parts when they are available, but only realize it too late when they are NS1 and everyone else needs the same part. Then it's time to scramble. I know what you are saying. After a few short months I am now getting more emails for masi 16V thermostat covers. Little interest when I was trying to put together a group buy, but now that they are all spoken for, now the ones that didn't buy NOW they NEED them! Sometimes Chris, people can't seem to see beyond the tips of their noses.
    Here is what I did when I was looking for potential buyers for the 16V Fidanza pulleys. I talked to my buddies that I know that have masi 16V cars. I asked them to put together email addresses for other fellow 16V Masi owners that they know. Compiled one list. I then assigned a group list of 16V Masi owners. I sent out a personal email to each of them letting them know about the product. The names of the people that you praised for assistance of this endeavor would be a good place to start, should you choose to follow this example.
    It is in all 16V Masi owners interest to have this product available. I see that you posted this on the AACA forum. How about the TC pages newsletter & Yahoo TC forum? How about a flyer to go in next years goody bag at TC national convention introducing your company to them? Alan goes to national TC conventions and he is treated like a rock star. Maybe you should plan a trip too. Flyers for 16v gaskets at Carlisle ready to go? I believe you have a tent there. I hear there is a lot of TC's that show up there. More of a presence on AACA forum couldn't hurt either. There seems like there is plenty of untapped potential for 8V SOHC owners for buying other parts you currently stock. Bring this topic up at your monthly So. Cal SDAC meeting and see if you can't get some assistance and ideas from them.
    Well there is a few ideas for you off the top of my head to find the other 480 masi 16V owners and let them know about the the valve cover gasket.
    Todd

turbo addict

If some of you here treated me the way Chris is treated for trying to bring new products to you guys I would just kick ya'll to the curb and make parts for someone else that appreciates it. He tries to bring something new (and make a litlle profit and I mean little, it is his job you know) he gets bashed!!! Cindy (FWD) brings something out and she's a God for it. If Chris quits making or selling parts for everyone you have no idea how much you'll pay for things. Before you bash me for my comments just know the only parts I'm buying now are LS GM parts. BE thankful for what you have here and that there is a little competition for the vendors. If one goes away we are all screwed.
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by bradp View Post
    If some of you here treated me the way Chris is treated for trying to bring new products to you guys I would just kick ya'll to the curb and make parts for someone else that appreciates it. He tries to bring something new (and make a litlle profit and I mean little, it is his job you know) he gets bashed!!! Cindy (FWD) brings something out and she's a God for it. If Chris quits making or selling parts for everyone you have no idea how much you'll pay for things. Before you bash me for my comments just know the only parts I'm buying now are LS GM parts. BE thankful for what you have here and that there is a little competition for the vendors. If one goes away we are all screwed.
    Brad,
    No one is bashing Chris. If there is any bashing going on in this thread it's directed towards me for expressing why I will not be prepaying. At least I'm telling why. More than I can say for most people that wanted these made. Just reminding him of the facts that when it comes to masi 16V stuff plenty of products have been made without any of TU's involvement. I support his effort. I'll by buying two more gaskets than you.
    Why are you bringing up other vendors? I suspect just trying to stir the pot? That statement came out of left field. No place for it here especially on TU's vendor corner.
    I agree you you that competition is a good thing. How hilarious that you school us on the value of multiple vendors keeping pricing competitive when you own a LS SBC! It doesn't get any more belly button than that...
    Todd

turbo addict

Brad,
    No one is bashing Chris. If there is any bashing going on in this thread it's directed towards me for expressing why I will not be prepaying. At least I'm telling why. More than I can say for most people that wanted these made. Just reminding him of the facts that when it comes to masi 16V stuff plenty of products have been made without any of TU's involvement. I support his effort. I'll by buying two more gaskets than you.
    Why are you bringing up other vendors? I suspect just trying to stir the pot? That statement came out of left field. No place for it here especially on TU's vendor corner.
    I agree you you that competition is a good thing. How hilarious that you school us on the value of multiple vendors keeping pricing competitive when you own a LS SBC! It doesn't get any more belly button than that...
    Todd
    It wasn't necessarily directed at you but if you want the part pay the money. It just seems everytime Chris tries to bring something to market no one will step up. I have ordered plenty from Chris and other vendors but my time with an 80's car that no one outside our little group will buy is over. I will still be oirdering from Chris and I'll have to pay up front for the part and he'll have to order it. This part would do me no good anyways as I have never had a Masi 16v nor will I ever. I have had over 40 TM's though. He already said he wouldn't charge the card until the amount was met for the buy in. I was just standing up for Chris in this situation. Sorry for the rant and I know you're a good guy Todd!!
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

turbo addict

Todd and Brad, I understand BOTH of your positions, and actually support parts of both.

Todd, I understand your not wanting to front money for a project that might never come to fruition. However, as Chris AND Brad both pointed out, TU will NOT charge the cards until the group buy is a 100% go! So, you really have NOTHING to loose here! You DO have the chance to help make something come about that is needed by other people as well. So, why is this even an argument or an issue? You won't be putting any money out of your pocket right away, you help bring the part that is needed to the people that need them (including yourself), and in the end everybody wins! (BTW, I'm not bashing, just trying to encourage )

Brad, I get what you are saying and Chris and I had a conversation much like that not too long ago over the phone. However, I do agree that it was kind of odd to bring up another vendor here, and in this thread. I'm not saying you're wrong, or that I disagree (quite the opposite). I'm glad to see another supporter of TU and Chris's efforts to continually make our community better. I wish more people would open their eyes a little more to see what we do.

To get back on topic, what other TC sources have been tapped to promote this exceptional opportunity!? If I can help, I will because I want to see this happen!!

Here is what I did when I was looking for potential buyers for the 16V Fidanza pulleys. I talked to my buddies that I know that have masi 16V cars. I asked them to put together email addresses for other fellow 16V Masi owners that they know. Compiled one list. I then assigned a group list of 16V Masi owners. I sent out a personal email to each of them letting them know about the product. The names of the people that you praised for assistance of this endeavor would be a good place to start, should you choose to follow this example.
    It is in all 16V Masi owners interest to have this product available. I see that you posted this on the AACA forum. How about the TC pages newsletter & Yahoo TC forum? How about a flyer to go in next years goody bag at TC national convention introducing your company to them? Alan goes to national TC conventions and he is treated like a rock star. Maybe you should plan a trip too. Flyers for 16v gaskets at Carlisle ready to go? I believe you have a tent there. I hear there is a lot of TC's that show up there. More of a presence on AACA forum couldn't hurt either. There seems like there is plenty of untapped potential for 8V SOHC owners for buying other parts you currently stock. Bring this topic up at your monthly So. Cal SDAC meeting and see if you can't get some assistance and ideas from them.
    Well there is a few ideas for you off the top of my head to find the other 480 masi 16V owners and let them know about the the valve cover gasket.
    Todd
    Todd,

So, as a TC Masi enthusiast why aren't you offering up this list of emails to us so we can spread the word and provide information on the VC gaskets? Seems to me if you truly wanted to see this product get produced you would do just that rather than posting up your personal opinions on why you will not be getting on the deposit list. This is a POSITIVE thread about getting to 40 financial commitments so we can add a new product for the TC Masis. Your posts don't belong here because they are against what we are ultimately trying to accomplish with this thread. It almost sounds like you are trying to sabotage our efforts in having these made by putting your negative spin on it. I'll say it again just in case you didn't read what Brad, Chris or I explained ... CC #s WILL NOT BE CHARGED UNTIL ALL 40 ORDERS ARE PLACED. We get charged a minimum of 3% for CC fees. Why would we want to eat that $ should we not get to 40 orders and have to refund? It just doesn't make good business sense to do that.

Chris-TU

turbo addict

Chris PM sent. Keeping this all positive, I'll look forward to seeing this product and purchasing when they are ready to ship, and I'll buy one or two at your "stocked on the shelf" price if I haven't already found a solution in the meantime. Good luck to you and others on the group buy purchases.
    Todd

Todd,

So, as a TC Masi enthusiast why aren't you offering up this list of emails to us so we can spread the word and provide information on the VC gaskets? Seems to me if you truly wanted to see this product get produced you would do just that rather than posting up your personal opinions on why you will not be getting on the deposit list. This is a POSITIVE thread about getting to 40 financial commitments so we can add a new product for the TC Masis. Your posts don't belong here because they are against what we are ultimately trying to accomplish with this thread. It almost sounds like you are trying to sabotage our efforts in having these made by putting your negative spin on it. I'll say it again just in case you didn't read what Brad, Chris or I explained ... CC #s WILL NOT BE CHARGED UNTIL ALL 40 ORDERS ARE PLACED. We get charged a minimum of 3% for CC fees. Why would we want to eat that $ should we not get to 40 orders and have to refund? It just doesn't make good business sense to do that.

Chris-TU

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Well I got four on the way. I can't wait to taste them!! But seriously, I have to admit I'll probably be on board for any Masi 16v related group buy anybody puts together. I might be a Masi/Lotus hoarder at heart but hey, the community at large stands to benefit and I can only hope I can start some kick --- 16v related thread in the project log someday for all your viewing pleasure. I wish I had gotten in on Todd's adjustable cam sprocket GB, but at the time I had no idea my turbo mopar addiction would evolve into Masi stuff.

Chris, if this GB works out, maybe consider a Masi 16v upper radiator hose GB? It is specific to that motor, and it would also probably work with your TU aluminum radiator to boot. It is also something that just about every TC owner should jump on so the market would be a bit better than an all-out performance part.... looks like 16v upper radiator hoses are goners if I'm not mistaken... although I'm not sure if they are even available at RDI. Might be worth looking into.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast