Page 30 of 93 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast

Thread: Sundance 6g72 "3.0 turbo build thread"(N/A DYNO SHEET pics inside)

turbo addict

Re: Sundance 6g72 "3.0 turbo build thread"(N/A DYNO SHEET pics inside)

if you want my car to be boosted by tonight, please do a little write up of how to remove the oil pan <3

hopefully its straight up.. ive done them before but you never know

time for school.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Okay, here's the write-up on removing the pan:

Take all the bolts out
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

thats what i was thinking :P but i remember someone saying two of the bolts are a pain

Maybe the 2 closest to the trans, might have to remove the braces to get them.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Okay, here's the write-up on removing the pan:

Take all the bolts out
    Step 2:
    Remove oil pan.

Other than that, perfect write up! Deserves to be stickied imho.

turbo addict

i will find you both and do bad things to your cars if its even remotly harder than that

like having to remove the starter? no big deal but i remember hearing that we have to do that. just one more thing to worry about.

turbo addict

Turbo on... Builds no boost

Prolly because the rear mani is not capped off... Turbo is running off 3 cyl if that

Goodnight

turbo addict

Car is in my buddies shop.. hes fabbing up a downpipe and capping the rear manifold hopefully by the end of the day

I uploaded a picture of my new spark map, can someone double check it? My target afr in boost will be 11.2:1

I hav a video going on youtube soon of the car driving with open turbo making no boost due to the front manifold being the only one going to the turbo and i bet half of that exhaust is making its way to the rear manifold.

Garrett booster

And how full of carbon and soot is the back of your engine compartment now?

turbo addict

Non... suprisingly....

I wish it built boost.... I guess it makes sense that it wont considering less than 3cyl is feeding it

Video is up "6g72 duster" should get you to it. Cant link on my phone... Video kinda crappy too

turbo addict

cool car does 5psi. needs to be tuned.. its rich but its pretty peppy compared to before!

overheated just about but i think i know why... dont ask

i threw my surpentene belt too.. it happened when i noticed the radiator cap blow coolant out of it... my fan wasnt plugged in... DERP!!

ill figure it out tomorrow.. i got it to hold 5psi though, pretty cool. this turbo spools late though, i kind of like it but its deff not the best. might be good for winter though.

Garrett booster

If the turbo is taking too long for spool and / or it's not making as much boost as you should be, I would check to make sure the wastegate isn't stuck a little open, or that the arm isn't binding on something under the hood.

What RPM do you hit the full 5psi?

turbo addict

im hoping the wastegate is partially open. 5psi comes in way late.. im talking 4500rpms maybe more. i can hit 6-7 or maybe 8psi around 5500rpms.

also should be noted, i might have a major boost leak. i plan on running the boost gauge to the compressor housings outlet to get a more accurate reading of what is actually coming out of the turbo versus going into the manifold.

ill deff be checking the wastegate though as that is much easier.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Have you tried pressurizing the compressor inlet so you can check for boost leaks?

I would do some datalogs and get your fuel tuned. The autotuning is really a waste of time when you can nail things down in a few passes. Rich is gonna make it very unresponsive. You can also blame a bit on your manifold setup but that is life.
    Its also possible that your wastegate will suffer some creep as you lean things out. This might mean you have to do a little porting/radiusing on the housing. Have fun adjusting the wastegate, I hate those internal things. People here always seem to have problems and start ghettofabbing away on their wastegate.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance 6g72 View Post
    im hoping the wastegate is partially open. 5psi comes in way late.. im talking 4500rpms maybe more. i can hit 6-7 or maybe 8psi around 5500rpms.

also should be noted, i might have a major boost leak. i plan on running the boost gauge to the compressor housings outlet to get a more accurate reading of what is actually coming out of the turbo versus going into the manifold.

ill deff be checking the wastegate though as that is much easier.
    Checking boost at the compressor will only show boost drop across the intercooler, not what the pressure would have been if there wasn't a leak...

turbo addict

I would check for leaks the same way dsm guys do... Its flawless. I can live with 5 psi but not if i have to floor it and build it by 4000rpms ish

I havnt paid attention much to anything

turbo addict

intake temp at 8psi was 38*... hahahah.. i wonder what it will be like in the summer? it was cold today.. snowing slightly. Guess that gives me room for error

at 8psi it also says my duty cycle is 87... that cant be right can it? they are between 33 and 36*. from a 3800gtp

If they are at 87 percent, I wouldn't go much past 8 psi. You're about out of injector. Of course if it's rich you can drop that some.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Garrett booster

Did you figure out what your low boost problem was? Leak or wastegate?

turbo addict

edit: if forgot the 87 duty cycle is at 10:1 and for all i know its 8:1 or some crazy number (prosport only reads to 10:1)

stock injectors with RRR have done 8psi on this same turbo and exhaust setup.. so i dont see how my 33ish injectors would be running out.

edit again: im sure i have a boost leak but i did notice my wastegate was about half open. fixed that. i know i have a boost leak because if the wastegate is connected to the compressor outlet, i only build 2-3psi in the intake and when i connect it to the plenum i suddenly can make 8psi eventually. intercooler takes away 1.8psi im pretty sure (open TB made 97kpa and when NA with the intercooler i could only make 86-88kpa when WOT)

i have a few questionable spots in my intercooler piping to fix along with making sure the plenum spacers and TB are sealed right. im not to worried about it right now though. with the wastegate fixed, boost builds earlier but not early enough to make winter driving a living hell . when driving like a normal human being i can stay 100% out of boost.

so im replacing the headgaskets and valve stem seals

thats my current progress.. getting around the downpipe to get the crossover bolts out has proven to be a pain. after work im going to make a point to get the exhaust manifolds off along with everything else on the flywheel side of the motor. then the heads should be ready to come off.