Thread: How do I get to these connectors?! Wire harness change...

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

How do I get to these connectors?! Wire harness change...

I am trying to install a new wire harness on my Shadow after an engine fire. How do I get access to the connectors under the dash? What should I remove to get to them? Also, do I need to remove the brake booster on the engine side to get access? I've never done this job before and it's daunting. I'm getting kinda old now, and bending into weird pretzel contortions is not near as much fun as it used to be (and that's a real understatement). Any tips will be highly appreciated! Thanks to all for the help I've already been given. I owe a lot of return favors!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: How do I get to these connectors?! Wire harness change...

i never been under a shad dash, but can tell you if its like the daytona its def a PITA.....might even be easier for you to remove the dash, altho more work involved.

I know if I was your age its def something I would not want to be doing!!!

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

i never been under a shad dash, but can tell you if its like the daytona its def a PITA.....might even be easier for you to remove the dash, altho more work involved.

I know if I was your age its def something I would not want to be doing!!!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

take off the panel under the steering column and the connectors are right there on the left. There a pita to get to as the locking tabs are on the other side where you cant see them. along with the little green plug thats hidden above the headlight switch. Remove the seat and lay a big piece of carpet or cardboard down so you can lay down and not totally destroy your back.

turbo addict

+1 to what 135SOHC said.

turbo addict

I take driver seat and steering column out as well, its easy then, only a few more bolts.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

turbo addict

grab the rubber grommet that goes in the firewall from the outside, yank on it till it pops out,
    i do this so there is sunlight coming in so i can see where the connectors are,
    remove the panned under the steering column and the seat, lay down the cardboard to save your back
    on the bulk head there is one 8mm bolt loosen it up, take a screwdriver and lightly pry the engine harness side away till it comes off
    and get the other 3 connectors and your free to pull it out

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyIroc View Post
    on the bulk head there is one 8mm bolt loosen it up,
    Is this bolt on the engine or passenger compartment side of the bulkhead?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Is this bolt on the engine or passenger compartment side of the bulkhead?
    Shadows dont have that style, they have a few small plugs that have normal clips.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    Shadows dont have that style, they have a few small plugs that have normal clips.
    I think your '90 has a different harness than my '91. I had an opportunity to buy a '90 T1 harness, but after seeing the pictures it is different from mine. I don't have a clue about this 8mm bolt however.

turbo addict

even the 91 doesn't have that style. My spirit has that style. Where did those pictures go of the harness ends, wasn't it in the other thread.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 251a.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	31817

1991+
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 250a.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	31816

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    take off the panel under the steering column and the connectors are right there on the left.
    Please forgive what must certainly be a stupid question, but how does that panel come off? I bought the full set of manuals when I got my Shadow new, but that one manual has gone missing from the set.

Its a bunch of #2 phillips head screws. Going off of memory here theres 4 across the top, one under the fuse panel door, two on the bottom edge one in each corner.

The release rod for the parking brake is also tied into the panel. Its one of those 90* plastic rod clips, you'll see it one you look under there.

Many thanks!

OK! I got the old harness out and am starting back with the new one. Many thanks for all of the tips!