Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You be the judge: Need some input from Turbonetics experts...

You be the judge: Need some input from Turbonetics experts...

Normally we try to keep disagreements off the message boards, but, a customer of ours is accusing us of something we did not do and we are looking for some input from others to help us confirm the facts.

A customer sent in his turbo for repair recently and he is claiming we switched turbine housings on him before we sent it back. His original stage 1 wheel exploded in the Turbonetics .63 A/R turbine housing which took large chunks out of the wheel contour surface. Our only option at the time was to open it up to a Stage 2 wheel. Unfortunately, opening to a stage 2 wheel wasn't enough to remove all the damage. The only thing we could do at this point was to create a shim and press it in to the housing then remachine for the stage 2 contour. We charged $50. for all of this work including machining for the stage 2, creating a shim, pressing in the shim and re-machining for the stage 2 contour. He feels he shouldn't have to pay this amount because he doesn't think it's his housing. He provided the picture below where he circled the Turbonetics "T" with a thick grey/red circle before and after it was refurbished. He is claiming the refurbished housing is different and we switched it. I tried to explain to him Turbonetics never offered a turbine housing with just a "T" and there has always been a star behind the logo. It's just not very visible due to the rust and stains on his used housing. I also circled in fine red color two flat spots on the turbine housing ears to show that it is the identical housing. I implored him to call Turbonetics himself to verify that their logo has always had the star behind it, but as far as I know he did not. I also told him that if he searched Turbonetics logo on google he would only find it with the star behind the "T". FTR- I contacted Turbonetics and spoke with the manager who confirmed our findings, but, the customer refuses to do the research himself.

I would appreciate input from anyone familiar with Turbonetics products and their logo.

Thanks!

Chris-TU
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turbine_housing1.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	31794   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turbine_housing_refurbed1.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	31795  
    Last edited by Chris W; 06-20-2011 at 09:33 PM.
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

turbo addict

Re: You be the judge: Need some input from Turbonetics experts...

What the hell?!? He get's what looks to be a brand new housing and he's complaining?

So he thinks that a wheel that got lodged in the housing didn't damage the housing and you swindled him into ''paying'' $50 for a housing you've been trying to get rid of? lol, thats funny. I've seen housings that wheels have snapped off into, it's not pretty and the housing is ALWAYS damaged. $50 was an insane deal for that work, sleeving that and machining it out costs more than that. I bet Chris only charged for 1/2 of the cost.

If you look close enough you can see the star behind the T in that old housing especially on the left side of the T, it's just a lot clearer when the housing is actually clean.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    What the hell?!? He get's what looks to be a brand new housing and he's complaining?
    +1 to that

We normally charge $75 just to open up a turbine housing (no shims), but, since this was for a turbo build and I wasn't clear about it from the beggining we only charged him 1/2 price.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Hybrid booster

looks like the same one to me and sounds like you did for him a correct and proper service.

Some people are hell bent and never happy.
    Gene

Garrett booster

Could always do some photoshop magic to pull out the contrast of the star in the rust. If it's not 100% covered, a little bit of time with some zoom and PS can find anything to exists without modifying the base of the original image.

turbo addict

There is nothing you can say or do to please this customer. Even if you refund all his money, he will still be bitching.

Quote Originally Posted by bond_bbs View Post
    Could always do some photoshop magic to pull out the contrast of the star in the rust. If it's not 100% covered, a little bit of time with some zoom and PS can find anything to exists without modifying the base of the original image.
    The star is definitely there but hidden under the soft tones of the rust. Bringing it out with PhotoShop is not necessary. His argument is pointless since Turbonetic's logo has always included the star behind the "T". He may be thinking he had a defective one. Once the turbine housing was cleaned and painted with glossy paint the star stood out.

Chris-TU

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

the a/r and .63 in the first pic looks like its engraved into the housing, where as the 2nd pic it protrudes out....

but theres a mark on one spot that looks like an indent and its clearly visible in both pictures....its at about 7 o clock in the red circle, 2nd picture......u can also see this mark in the housing that is rusty (outside the black oval)....def the same one.

turbo addict

That 's got to be the same housing i so mani cast flaws that are the same.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

I want to make sure I'm understanding the situation.

Did he buy this Turbo from you originally?

Is he claiming it was defective ?

You know what? It doesnt matter. These are go-fast parts, not tune up parts, the kind of damage done isn't, or shouldn't be covered.

Additionally, why would someone put so much effort into an item and then take less in pay than it required to fix it?
    Sounds like a customer you don't need /want!

As so often is the case, "Let no good deed go unpunished!".

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

i agree, yo ucan see the star in both pics, it appears to be the same housing to me as well.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I would have just replaced the housing So his only beef is that he thinks you swapped housings? Nothing to do with the shim job? Did he have something special done to his old one, like porting or something?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

His problem is he was charged the $50 for the shim job, he just thinks Chris swapped out the turbine housing for one that he had to put this shim in and charged him for it. He thinks his turbine housing didn't need the shim and he was ripped off $50.

Besides, who takes a picture of their turbo before sending it in for work? It's clear his intent was to screw you over to begin with. What a load.

turbo addict

It's stuff like this that makes me never want to own a business.
    Kevin Isenberg EVERYTHING is for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS592 View Post
    It's stuff like this that makes me never want to own a business.
    hehe, yeah I own my own business as well and dealing with people sometimes is not very fun. But you know what sucks is you can have 1000 very happy customers for every 10 unhappy ones (the ones that are impossible to please no matter what) but it's those ones that give you a bad reputation for no good reason. Totally sucks.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post
    His problem is he was charged the $50 for the shim job, he just thinks Chris swapped out the turbine housing for one that he had to put this shim in and charged him for it. He thinks his turbine housing didn't need the shim and he was ripped off $50.

Besides, who takes a picture of their turbo before sending it in for work? It's clear his intent was to screw you over to begin with. What a load.
    Did he get charged for a wheel too or no? If Chris fixed everything for $50, the guy is definitely being unreasonable. Although I guess personal definitions of "under warranty" can vary I am assuming it was a warranty fix?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

Eat the 50 bucks and move on with life.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

If you look close you can see the faint Turbonetics Star behind the "T" in the first pic. To me it looks like two different turbine housings because the "T" is more embosed on the newer one.

Even if it is a new turbine hosing, whats the big deal? It is now Stage 2 instead of Stage 1 so its theoretically better anyways. Was there some sort of sentimental value to the original housing?

Just curious, was the customer concerned about the turbine housing or the comp housing? as that one is even more obviously different.... see pics and green circles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turbine_housing_refurbed1.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	31801   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turbine_housing1.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	31802  

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast