Thread: SDAC Turbo Rebuild- Tech Session

turbo addict

SDAC Turbo Rebuild- Tech Session

I'm not sure where to post this, but since it's about turbo's, I'm going to drop it here...

I have been prodded over the last few months by several different members on the forum here to show everybody how to tear-down and rebuild a Garrett turbo to OEM specs at SDAC this year. It will have all USA parts used and be rebuilt to original standards. There will not be a formal tech session in a meeting room like there have been in years past, however, I will be demonstrating how to tear one of these down and put it all back together properly in the good old parking lot. I have done many turbo's, some for our community members, and I thought I might give back some knowledge. I know that there are several places to see steps online regarding this process, but nothing tends to make things stick like seeing it done in person.

Here is tentatively the idea:

It would be on Monday afternoon/evening pending whatever Barry decides is a good start time and it should take about an hour to an hour and a half to go over everything. I know that some of you have already done this and are familiar with the process, so any insight that you might have would be welcomed as well. I will buy the kit and then I have one of two options depending on what feedback I get.

First option: I can take a members' from here turbo(bring with you) and rebuild it for them(or you maybe) if you just reimburse me for the cost of the kit(~approx $80). You will then have a freshly rebuilt turbo of your own.

Second option: I can buy the kit and a core turbo locally, bring it and rebuild it, then I will either sell it to someone there at SDAC or I will list it on the boards at a later date/time and sell it that way.

Either way, it doesn't bother me, but if anyone out there is interested in having a freshly rebuilt turbo, this is a great way to get it done at SDAC.

On a sidenote, if you have a turbo that you wish to have rebuilt, above and beyond the one I do to demonstrate for everybody, PM me and I can set up a time to work on doing it for you sometime while I am there for SDAC. I am not trying to make a profit in doing these, but I am merely doing it to help out fellow TD'ers that need a turbo 'freshened.' However, I don't want to have a stack of them needing rebuilt staring me in the face, so if you want it done let me know quickly(2 more is my limit).

Whomever is first to post up that they want their turbo rebuilt will be the one that gets their turbo rebuilt for everybody to see. It would be great if you needed it before the drag races on Tuesday so you can see it in action and enjoy the results. However, don't just tear down your car to put a turbo on it because that's just plain nuttiness.
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Re: SDAC Turbo Rebuild- Tech Session

Also, make sure all the bolt will come out if it still has the the covers on it. I don't think Nate is going to drill and tap the bolt for you as part of this.
    Nate, might want to mention just bring the center section for the rebuild, unless you want to break bolts.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    Also, make sure all the bolt will come out if it still has the the covers on it. I don't think Nate is going to drill and tap the bolt for you as part of this.
    Nate, might want to mention just bring the center section for the rebuild, unless you want to break bolts.
    Good point! However, just break all the bolts loose off the housing(compressor and exhaust side), but leave the the housings on the turbo. If you take them off, you will take a chance of damaging the fins(compressor or exhaust) and that would be very bad. DO NOT TAKE THE CENTER SECTION APART HOWEVER! The shaft and the compressor wheel are balanced as an assembly and if you move the compressor wheel from the shaft, you will throw off the balance, so wait until you get it to me at SDAC. PM me if you have any questions or need details. Thanks...
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

turbo addict

I've got a junk center section you can have and then do whatever with.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by moparman76_69 View Post
    I've got a junk center section you can have and then do whatever with.
    I'll take it as a core if nobody else pipes up. It wouldn't hurt to have an extra anyway...

Nate,

Turbine/Compressor Wheel Balance:

We have found that over time the compressor wheel/turbine wheel balance does change. This is mostly caused by debris striking the wheels at a high velocity and creating "pockmarks". The further away from the center of the shaft, the greater the "pockmarks" affect on the balance. Many times the original failure of the turbo is due to this imbalance. We ALWAYS recommend re-balancing the two components individually, then combining them as a single unit for a final precision balance. Not following these procedures could cause a depreciation of performance, not to mention, a waste of the time and money invested should it catastrophically fail.

I am not trying to rain on your parade here, just sharing the experiences we have had over the years rebuilding turbos. I can't count how many members have come to us after a failed attempt at rebuilding their turbos by just marking the position of the nut/compressor wheel and turbine shaft. If you are going to conduct this tech session you may want to stress the importance of precision balancing and get them to send the components out to a reputable company for that service.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Nate,

We have found that over time the compressor wheel/turbine wheel balance does change. This is mostly caused by debris striking the wheels at a high velocity and creating "pockmarks". The further away from the center of the shaft, the greater the "pockmarks" affect on the balance. Many times the original failure of the turbo is due to this imbalance. We ALWAYS recommend re-balancing the two components individually, then combining them as a single unit for a final precision balance. Not following these procedures could cause a depreciation of performance, not to mention, a waste of the time and money invested should it catastrophically fail.

I am not trying to rain on your parade here, just sharing the experiences we have had over the years rebuilding turbos. I can't count how many members have come to us after a failed attempt at rebuilding their turbos by just marking the position of the nut/compressor wheel and turbine shaft. If you are going to conduct this tech session you may want to stress the importance of precision balancing and get them to send the components out to a reputable company for that service.

Chris-TU
    I agree with your thoughts Chris and I will stress the importance of that, as well as make recommendations of having that done. There are numerous companies that I have used in the past to perform this for me when needed(for example the person I get the kit from charges $10 after kit purchase) and I will stress the recommendation of doing this. I am definitely not discounting the use of balancing, but I am merely going to show how it can be done with a stocker, as well help people understand the functionality of the turbo. Don't worry though, I am not going to try and become a vendor and do this in any way, shape or form down the road....

turbo addict

Not to detract from services offered by anyone but just for those ambitious individuals, most areas will have some type of diesel shop that either can or knows who can rebalance the assembly.

turbo addict

Ok, I have had two people contact me to use their turbo's to rebuild at SDAC, so that will be good. Since we've got it covered with quantity, I am fairly certain we'll have everything we need now. Thanks...

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by moparman76_69 View Post
    most areas will have some type of diesel shop that either can or knows who can rebalance the assembly.
    Many turbos used in diesel applications are no longer balanced when they are rebuilt. I know I'll likely get flamed for saying something like that but my father worked in reman services at Cummins for a time during his nearly 30 years working at the company. It was one of the many tidbits of information he shared when we rebuilt my Garrett.

Nate,

I am more concerned about people getting the false impression that ANY turbo in ANY condition can be rebuilt easily. This would be a waste of time and money for those who invest in purchasing a kit. I am searching for a photo of pockmarks on a turbine wheel so people know what not to use.

Chris-TU
    Last edited by Chris W; 06-21-2011 at 06:19 PM.
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

The hardest part of rebuilding a turbo for the average joe is getting the turbine housing bolts off. You bringing a torch setup to SDAC?

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Nate,

I am more concerned about people getting the false impression that ANY turbo in ANY condition can be rebuilt easily. This would be a waste of time and money for those who invest in purchasing a kit. I am searching for a photo of pockmarks on a turbine wheel so people know what not to use.

Chris-TU
    Yep, I know exactly what you mean which is why I have a spare as a core if for some reason the one(s) that I get are beat up pretty good. Obviously, I will have to check out the shaft, the wheels, and then the center section('wear' in the ring areas). I would never just set them up with a turbo that is destined to fail...

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    The hardest part of rebuilding a turbo for the average joe is getting the turbine housing bolts off. You bringing a torch setup to SDAC?
    Actually, I only have Mapp gas and good old PB Blaster. I told the people that are bringing them to break the bolts loose, but I will hopefully not need that torch. Obviously that won't get hot enough if one is REALLY stuck in there, so I'm hoping that won't be an issue...

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Ive never gotten one to move without a torch. I would imagine it's usually worse everywhere else than here, since the turbo is usually the most rusted part on the car down here.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

how dose one balance the turbine? i notice the shaft ends are concave, is this where it would sit in somekinda rig? could one just rig up a electric motor and spin that mofo fast? see if she vibrates? i donno.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
    how dose one balance the turbine? i notice the shaft ends are concave, is this where it would sit in somekinda rig? could one just rig up a electric motor and spin that mofo fast? see if she vibrates? i donno.
    This is for general info in typical balancing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkv7UfVuNCs

This one is for Turbonetics balancing used often with dual BB turbos. This is used in much lower tolerance applications...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMA5RFpGRbg

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Sorry I missed this one! Glad Reeves linked to it from a new post!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke