Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 90 Voyager ECM

Garrett booster

90 Voyager ECM

I recently bought a 1990 Plymouth Voyager 2.5 T with a 5 speed. The seller told me that it needs an ECM, so I am attempting to find one. I know that he replaced the old ECM with one out of a laser, and that it does not work. I called the local dealership and they told me that my van has part number 5276383, or the new number that is 5235601. After looking that part number up, it comes back as a 1990 Plymouth voyager with a 2.5 T 5 speed FEDERAL emissions. I want to see if the federal emissions ECM will still pass CA emissions since I live in CA. If it won't, then can I buy the ECM for CA emissions and use that? If I buy the CA ECM, will I have a CEL come on? Will I have to replace sensors? This van has 199K on it, so I am sure sensors will start to go soon anyways, but I really want to drive this bad boy, and since I went through a lot of trouble to get it, I want to at least drive it. Any help would be awesome. I am new to this forum, and I am hoping someone will be able to help me out!!

-Zach

turbo addict

Re: 90 Voyager ECM

before you just switch out parts, is the car outputting any codes?

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/fault/

this site has the trouble codes and the process to get them.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Garrett booster

Well, the ECU that is in there, I just pulled out. It is part number 5235615 which comes back as a 90 Caravan with a 2.5 turbo, manual, fed emissions. This is exactly what I have, except that mine in a voyager. Its the same year and everything, but the part number is diffferent. Wouldn't it be the same thing, since the only difference is the part number? I will check out the codes and see what happens. Do I need a scan tool? I have one for OBD2, but not the connector for OBD1. Not sure if it will work. How do I go about checking th ECU on the bench, or can I? Thanks for the fast response!!

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Well, after reading that link, that tells me how to check it. Nevermind. I will go check the codes and see what comes up.

Garrett booster

Well, it brings up codes 12, 23, and 55. I know 12 and 55 are no big deal, and I am currently looking for the Air Charge Temp Sensor as I type this. Once I find it I will test it and see what it brings back. Hopefully it is just that, and the ECU is good.
    http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/fault/ is an AWESOME resource!!! Thanks for posting it. It has given me everything I need, except the location of the sensor, and someone to do it for me. haha

-Zach

turbo addict

charge air temp sensor is in the intake manifold. after the throttle body. it should start without it though.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

If its a 2.5L it wouldn't come with a air charge temp sensor. So I would not expect a code from it?

I have a 1989 turbo van 2.5 ecm with manual trans. that'll work for you.

Garrett booster

There is no sensor there. Any idea why it would throw a code for a sensor that never existed? I want to post a pic of the area, but I am not sure how to.

-Zach

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

This thing will turn over just fine. And it ALMOST catches. It just wont fire. I have yet to check air/fuel/spark, which I know is the first thing to check, but since I was told the ECU was no good, I figured I would start there. Now, I have no idea.

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar View Post
    How much do you want for it? Assuming the ECM is my problem?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar View Post
    89 is SMEC 90 is SBEC. It wont work
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    89 is SMEC 90 is SBEC. It wont work
    Damn it. Well thanks for the offer man.
    Still any ideas why it will throw a code for a sensor it does not have?

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

It should only really throw the code of the ecu is for an intercooled or an early log car which had the sensor.

In the process of building a 2.5T dakota. Engine sounded like it wanted to start, would fire a couple times from time to time. So it sorta had some fuel and spark. Was driving me nuts. Could get the car to run on ether tho. Swapped for another computer and indeed it ran fine afterwards. I spent soo much time trying to diagnose other things as I was refusing to believe the sbec could go bad like that.

IIRC there was maybe only a handful 90 turbo caravans? Is there one or two connectors on the ecu?

Garrett booster

It has one screw connecting the wires to the ECM, but there are two sections of wires going to the ECM. So it sounds as though the ECM is actually bad then....? Like I said, I will have to check for air/fuel/spark this weekend. Once I figure out if thats ok, how do I check the timing? I am used to a 69 el Camino where I put a timing light on, and check it that way. old school I know.

-Zach

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

the only way it would pull a 23 is if the car actually has a charge air temp sensor wired up. disconnecting it from the sensor will remove the code. perhaps the previous van owner set the wiring up for TII electronics. which is just adding 1 pin in the SMEC/SBEC for the CAT sensor.

I can send you to someone with a few 90-91 SBEC computers. even has the "high torque" 5 spd one from 91 cars (extra 20-25 ft lbs tq). they are canadian based computers tho. not sure how or if they would pass cali smog....

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Luvless View Post
    It has one screw connecting the wires to the ECM, but there are two sections of wires going to the ECM. So it sounds as though the ECM is actually bad then....? Like I said, I will have to check for air/fuel/spark this weekend. Once I figure out if thats ok, how do I check the timing? I am used to a 69 el Camino where I put a timing light on, and check it that way. old school I know.

-Zach
    if there are 2 plugs that go into the computer (1 with 8mm screw, other just pushes on) then you actually have 89 SMEC electronics....

Garrett booster

Since this will be a daily driver, I NEED it to pass smog, so I don't want to chance that. My problem is that this sensor does not exist on my van. Not sure how to reset the code, since I already disconected the battery for a few HOURS and it still set the code off. If I can find the wire that coresponds to the sensor I could pull it from the ECM right?

Garrett booster

if there are 2 plugs that go into the computer (1 with 8mm screw, other just pushes on) then you actually have 89 SMEC electronics....[/QUOTE]

It only has the 8 mm screw. Nothing pushes into it. But the screw has two different sections of wires under it.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...+air+temp+wire

that should give u everything u need there to inspect the harness...

Garrett booster

So I am assuming the wire he pulls out is the wire I should pull out? Thats the red one correct?

no the one underneath it. where there is no wire. if your van is wired up for TII, you will remove that wire. AJ was doing the TII install, so he had to drill the connector out and add the pin....if your harness was setup for this then that is your problem for the code 23

Garrett booster

Ok. I will check that out tomorrow, and if that wire is there, I will pull it out.

I actually got it to start tonight. It ran rough, but it started when I was checking for spark, so it only had 3 cylinders.. I checked for air fuel and spark. I have a good spark at the plug, so I know the coil, wires, and plugs are good. The plugs were dirty, so I cleaned them, and put em back in. I am thinking that the fuel pressure is low, and that is the issue. I knocked on the tank, and there is fuel there, plus I could smell it on the plug. I am not sure how old the fuel is, so I might try to flush it with some fresh, quality 91 octane from Chevron. I hope that will help it run.

Garrett booster

I have that wire, so I will pull it out in just a few. I will re set the comp, and then post what happens.
    Thanks for all the help so far guys!!

-Zach

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast