Thread: Picked this up today... dont know if i should use as parts or fix and drive

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Picked this up today... dont know if i should use as parts or fix and drive

86 Yorker. interior is mint. body is ok. all chrome is corroded and pitted. large dents in roof . car doesnt run. guy said he thinks its a timing belt. it does turn over. no cluster as it went out. he has another but forgot to bring so i have to still get. my plans for my other new yorker was to go black on black with maroon interior if i could find. just dont know what is involved on switching entire interior. i picked up for $400. it has only 45k miles which was stated on title back in 9/10 but since then the cluster went.

just looking for thoughts :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20110611192054.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	307.6 KB 
ID:	31564Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20110611192038.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	343.7 KB 
ID:	31565Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20110611190206.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	462.7 KB 
ID:	31566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20110611190248.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	322.8 KB 
ID:	31567Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20110611190224.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	327.9 KB 
ID:	31568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20110611192016.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	483.7 KB 
ID:	31569
    Rich Bollei 1987 New Yorker T2 "Poor planning on your part does not make it an emergency on mine"

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Picked this up today... dont know if i should use as parts or fix and drive

Pick the one that is in better shape and make it fast while keeping the stock look. Use the other one as a DD.

turbo addict

remove pitted chrome, paint car flat black.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1p77f3Wwug

i know some people are wierd and can tell a problem by sound. listen to this
    Rich Bollei 1987 New Yorker T2 "Poor planning on your part does not make it an emergency on mine"

turbo addict

what do the plugs look like? id switch out the pickup in the distributor and see.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Didn't look far besides it turns over. There's fuel. Spark is very light(in my opinion). The guy said his wife thought it had overheated and then died and never refired. But he also thought the motor had a chain so who knows lol

It doesn't sound like there is any compression at all in the video IMO.

Disconnect the battery, wait a few minutes, crank again, and then pull the codes. If you don't get a code 11 it's not the hep.

I would do a compression test if that checks out.

If you don't have compression, I would start here...

Atm I can't pull codes. No cluster. =(

Quote Originally Posted by V8GremlinX View Post
    Atm I can't pull codes. No cluster. =(
    OK. Now that I really think about it if you're getting fuel while cranking for more than a few seconds your HEP should be good.

Check the timing and go from there.

Fix it! I'm so sad I had to put my New Yorker to rest because of severe death cancer and it looked just like that one...

I agree with Brian, it really doesn't sound like there is any compression, almost as if someone was turning an engine over with the plugs out. Maybe the cam jumped a few teeth?
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    I agree with Brian, it really doesn't sound like there is any compression, almost as if someone was turning an engine over with the plugs out. Maybe the cam jumped a few teeth?
    speaking about cam jumping...sort of what happend to this omni in which i took the engine block from....check this out.......

in conclusion the demise of this omni was...those rollers...wow......sad
    1985 Dodge Shelby Charger *never ending project* 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z *SOLD* 1989 Chrysler Lebaron 2.5 Turbo Convertible *CRUSHED* 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T *SOLD* 2006 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L

checked plugs and they were soaked in gas, lol thats as far as i got after i realized i couldnt find correct tools to change out timing belt. since it seems that just might be my issue, after getting cover off, u can tell its old. seems to have a bit of slack unlike my other t2 york

Quote Originally Posted by V8GremlinX View Post
    checked plugs and they were soaked in gas, lol thats as far as i got after i realized i couldnt find correct tools to change out timing belt. since it seems that just might be my issue, after getting cover off, u can tell its old. seems to have a bit of slack unlike my other t2 york
    Replace that belt while setting the timing properly and I bet she'll fire right up. It may run like crap, but you may be surprised.