Thread: parts for aries/reliant

Hybrid booster

parts for aries/reliant

hi all...

looking for a couple parts for my 86 k wagon. hoping to put a 523/568 in it but keep the original bench seat.

1) steering column plastic ring/cover (without column shifter mount), preferably in tan/beige

2) clutch/brake pedal assembly

3) center console (see pic)....also want the console and late style shifter mounting plate (the part welded to the floor)

Last edited by capev86; 06-11-2011 at 02:28 PM.

Re: parts for aries/reliant

That type of console and shifter wouldn't work with the bench seat. I had an 82 aries wagon with stick and bench seat, but that car used the omni rod type shift linkage.

Hybrid booster

definitely don't want the early style rod shifter. only other choice would be to find some bucket seats and have my upholstery adapted. the full console on these cars is butt ugly....don't want to go that route and i like the practicality of a bench seat and 6 passenger seating in a pinch!

item #1........... a picture of where/what this is?

Hybrid booster

i mean the plastic piece that surrounds the steering column where the auto shifter bolts to. i want that piece from a floor shift model which is smooth instead of having the "bump" where the drift pin goes through to hold the shifter. i have a tilt wheel (if that makes any difference).

Hybrid booster

BUMP...still interested in picking up these parts!

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff
    If the k car used the Saginaw style column, you might be able to grab that piece from a GM car or a Cherokee. The Jeep could have the tilt column with a floor shifter.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

If the k car used the Saginaw style column, you might be able to grab that piece from a GM car or a Cherokee. The Jeep could have the tilt column with a floor shifter.

Bryan

Bryan

Hybrid booster

haha...interesting idea. But no i won't go that route. actually, my 72 suburban c20 has "the 3 on the tree" hooked to a saginaw 3 speed manual. i love it...well, more so when i get my 66-69 borg warner O/D equipped saginaw swapped in. however, a floor stick is the only way to go on a k car, especially i want it to be sporty. i may just end up keeping the bench seat and build up a turbo spec 3 speed auto w/ 2.60FD and (high stall) lockup converter. i'll be doubling the power/tq with that 2.5T2 and 3" exhaust, so with the gearing only softened 14% it should still scoot right along. automatic is also better for heavy traffic (my daily commute) and for towing (open motorcycle trailer) but a stick shift would make for a better (cough) street racer.

Hybrid booster

still looking for these parts, and more importantly a rust free 4 door K shell i can cut up for body panels to patch my wagon (floor, rockers, etc). i'm having trouble finding a good donor car. either they are costly fully functioning examples from the west coast (shipping would be killer), get parted out and crushed (like a nice example in a TN junkyard), or they turn out to be low mileage rust buckets (like the one i found in nj and drove 10 hours round trip to look at). thanks!

I used a minivan console in my 86 T&C wagon when I swapped it to a 5spd, but still ended up putting buckets in it. I just used some bolts to mount the shifter assembly to the floor with same washers to level it out. The pedal box assembly is the same a a J body Lebaron, or Daytona.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

Hybrid booster

that doesn't look bad.

but i still want to go with a k car 5spd console, even if i have to paint it to match. colorbond and other brands carry paint for plastic.

Hybrid booster

i really need an 87-89 K 5spd console. more importantly, i will need the correct bracket mounting bracket, so that my resto guy can weld it in before he coats the floors w/ poly bed liner (for sound absorption and rust control). so if someone can come up with those parts in the next few weeks that would be awesome!

in other news i have a line on tan bucket seats and the steering column piece from a guy that parted out an 87 k wagon awhile back, but keep your eyes out for me if that falls through!

Please be aware that there are 2 different floor shift consoles for the K cars. One is the full length console that goes up to the dash, and is the same as the one used in K Lebaron-600-Caravelle sedans, wagons and coupes. The one you have pictured is the short K car only version. Actually I think the consoles changed in 85 or for sure 86 to the newer style. I had one of the full length ones out of an 85 Aries coupe and it was the same as one I had from an 88 K based lebaron sedan. My friend still has the 88 K Lebaron console and the bracket it screws to with the rear welded on bracket, but not the main floor welded on bracket.

Hybrid booster

yes, i need one like in the picture (red interior).

87-89 k cars w/ the cable shifted 520, not for the earlier cars with the rod shifter under the floorboard. the early shifter fits a bench seat. but the shifter would have to be modded to fit the later trans and the rod don't clear the 3" exhaust i have planned. the big console on 85-89 (auto floor shift) that goes up into the dash is kinda ugly IMO so i want to use the small unit for a 523/568 swap in my car. i actually looked at an 88 4 door aries with 5spd and buckets/shorty console a couple years ago. was going to fix it up and run it but it had more rust than originally thought, the timing belt slipped a tooth the day i got down there (over 200k) and the young punks at the local shop were revving the crap out of it trying to figure out what was wrong (idiots). i'd been planning to drive the car back to Maine from NJ and i didn't want to another 12 hour round trip to come down with the tow dolly. i kept my 350 bucks, walked away and ended up buying my 72 Suburban instead. but now i'm here to spiff up the old K wagon.

It sounds like you know what you are looking for. I did want to let you know that the full console was available with the manual transmission. The one I pulled from the 85 Aries was a stick shift, the only difference was the insert where the shifter sticks through.

Hybrid booster

yeah....the one i want is the hardest to come by......in 87-89 only for the later style shifters. i know the big console (1985+) will clear a stick shift (cliff ramsdell is one of many to do it) but aesthetically not what i want on my car. i will just have to cross my fingers and hope the right parts come up for sale soon!