Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cops puttin the squeeze on

Hybrid booster

Re: Cops puttin the squeeze on

good luck with that. i know the pike, ive been down there a time or two. took 2 friends in my GEO PRISM mind you, with a tach on it cause there wasnt one stock, and i got the flashlight search pulling into Dunkin donuts. in a freaking GEO. i gave up going there as they are now getting federal aid to patrol the pike friday and saturday nights. ins not worth it unless your going to pop the hood, set up a lawn chair with a cooler full of soda and chill. other than that, the cops are everywhere there now. 5 years ago i was down there, it was nice, now, *shrugs*

Most CT cops use the tinted window and no front plate law as a reason to pull you over. Then they will give the car a few "once overs".

When I use to work in Hartford for TCI/ATT. I use to watch all the hartford cops pulling people over for window tint. I even seen them setup a check point just for window tint.

A few summers ago, I got pulled over in my hometown for "speeding". I kept asking about how fast I was going. I saw right through his bluff. So he started walking around my car, looking for reasons to give me a ticket. He could only come up with no front plate and my license plate frame blocking my reg sticker. I fought it and left only paying 20 bucks. It seems that the cops have really stopped chasing people as much as they use to the past few years.

I even got pulled over in my daytona for window tint. I didn't get a ticket, but an inspection notice. I laughed because I knew I would pass. So I had the state test the tint and affix the stickers saying so.

I can't say cops on either berlin or newington cops are dicks. Even when I got busted for racing in newington, the cop was very respectful and cheerful. He and his partner were totally shocked I had just beaten a 3000GT too.

I miss the days of parking along the pike and just watching. Those were the days. Route 15 would be lined with people tailgating, checking out all the sweet cars. Then a certain movie played, spoiling the scene for the rest.

People in Mass have it worst then CT. They are getting pulled over for having their foglights on. Plus they have one billy bad --- state trooper in the area that targets modified cars.

It just boils down to how your roll. You either be smart, not giving the cops any reason to pull you over. Or you drive like an ---, with infractions all over you car. Its pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboII View Post
    I have a 1988 Chrysler lebaron 2dr coupe and my back 3 windows are limo....BUT... my fronts are 35% which is legal in CT and my lebaron is legal period nothing illegal except for it being a Turbo mopar LMAO and this coming may i have a court date which i think is ridiculous ...wish me luck....
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

TurboII

My car is as plain as you can get theirs no turbo badges or embalms on the car and that night I was driving the speed limit cause I saw the two cops from the other side of the road and I new they were their. I had my original eggshell wheels on and that day I was pulled over I had my windows half way down. The cop pulled me over was the fact I was from Hartford cause he must have ran my plate from the distance he tried to say that I got a thicket that I never paid for and I said do you know what was it for and he didn't reply just said "it was back in march by a newington cop" and I didn't get pulled over at all. Then he tried getting me for a register sticker that's on the rear plate when I told him its on my front window he stood shut. Then he searched my car and me and I felt violated cause I think cops are gay...well...newington cops that is but Thank God he didn't see my front plate cause I don't have one their.
    Then I was talking to a Hartford cop and he told me that their supposed to do a window check and I told him he got me for my back window and he replied "theirs know limit for your back window."

I just hate newington cops cause they just give you tons of bull but I tell you one thing though that night I was pulled over I was scared to death cause the way they ran up on me made it look like I stole something boy-o-boy I was scared.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

It's not that different. They do it at most tracks in MD. MIR, Capital, and 75-80 before it closed. It was never THAT bad, but there was always a patrol car waiting outside for the losers who felt it necessary to do burnouts outside the gates.

Garrett booster

With the Paint Scheme my 86 shelby has,Silver body Wide Blue Strip on hood ,top,back,I thought i would be Nailed as soon as it hit the Highway,so far not a problem here in Ohio,I have seen local police park outside Bars and bust guys on their way home.... There is not active Emissions inspections as far as i can tell...Thank God !

Hybrid booster

thats why im going with a plain metallic silver paint job with maybe a little trim color. unassuming color scheme means less likely to be pulled over provided im not being an --- driver lol

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff dodgeshadowchik's Avatar

california is run by a bunch of screwballs, really. i just don't understand the exteme pressure they put on car emissions. i mean, cars really (in the big sceme of things) are not the huge problem. do they do anything about the factories? i don't know... the whole "global warming" thing makes me angry. I honeslty beleive that it's a huge ploy for money, like most things in this world. if you look at history, there's been numerous climate changes. and i don't think you can blames cars for the last ice age. i do think that it is happeneing; but it was going to happen regardless. heck, the largest contributor to greenhouse gasses is completly natural: volcanoes. anyways, i'm thowing this way off topic. i think we should be spending time figuring out how to deal with climate changes not so much stopping it. you know, find a happy medium... so we can still have our cars. lol!

i like michigan's leiniant rules... except for how high insurance costs are.

"I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

Hybrid booster

True, I think global warming is inevitable. Nothing we can really do to stop it.

boostaholic

I think out here in Montana they just put speed limits on the highways a couple years before I moved here, lol. Montana is so far behind on it's laws. They JUST, and I mean like only a few months ago, passed an open container law. For most of the time I have lived here, it was perfectly legal to drive around with an open beer in your car. The bars used to even give you "To Go" cups... and they wondered why there are so many DUI's out here.

No emissions checks out here at all either. Then again when most major cities in the US have more people than this entire state has, I guess emissions isn't that big of a concern here.

I haven't been to the track yet (going for the first time in April, it's 4 hours away from me), but I don't see there being any cops sitting outside of it. There's so much open road between towns out here, there's no way the cops can cover it. I've heard that as long as you're not putting anyones life in danger, they usually won't bother pulling you over for speeding on the highways here.

I don't think street racing is a issue out here at all though. Not very many fast cars around, most people drive trucks or SUVs out here. Either that, or old beat up cars. The local "Ricer" crowd is a handful of cars that sit in the parking lot of Checkers at like 11 pm. Usually a couple Grand Ams, a Honda or 2, and a couple Cavaliers. All with primer painted body kit pieces, lol.

So Montana has a speed limit now? I remember reading an article a few years ago where they had lifted the speed limit. The speed limit signs said "Reasonable and prudent" or something to that effect. I think it was in Popular Mechanics. They drove across the state of Montana in a Pontiac Montana sitting against the top speed limiter the whole trip.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by tonyz2897 View Post
    So Montana has a speed limit now? I remember reading an article a few years ago where they had lifted the speed limit. The speed limit signs said "Reasonable and prudent" or something to that effect. I think it was in Popular Mechanics. They drove across the state of Montana in a Pontiac Montana sitting against the top speed limiter the whole trip.
    Yeah they've had one since before I moved here in '04. I just did a quick search, and it looks like the limits went into effect in '99. On the interstate, the speed limit is 75. On most highways, it's 70, some are 65. Some have night time speed limits of 55. I've never once seen a cop outside of town (except for on the interstate near the county jail), since I moved here. I've seen more Forestry Department vehicles outside of town than cops. Some of their vehicles look kind of like cop cars and scare ya, lol.

Well from what they said in the article, they have way more road than they do police, so that makes sense that you don't see too many of them. It's a shame about the speed limit going back into effect. I always wanted to take a trip out there just to do some high speed driving without fear of cops.

Garrett booster

when i had my 98 gsx with black wheels that was a lot slower and quieter than any of my omnis have been, not to mention 4wd so it couldnt do burnouts, i was pulled over 7 times in less than 3 months. i never really got a ticket for anything other than a speed contest that i would have gotten busted for in anything because the bastard was hiding behind a tree on a road known for speeding... but damn the cops hated that car

half the reason i sold it was because of all the attention it drew.. then when they had me out of the car and saw i was 21 i would always get ---- about it being daddys car even though i was making more money than they were and sure as ---- never got anythign for free from my parents

now, in my omnis, which ive been driving for 4 years.. they are a lot louder, a lot faster, and a whole hell of a lot more prone to chirping the tires... and ive never been pulled over in one... i can get away with flooring it a couple cars away from them in light traffic just because no one thinks that sounds like that would be coming from an innocent little omni

we dont have emissions testing here, and the worst the cops do is break up the cruisers at 1130 during the summer.. i suppose its possible to get a ticket for a loud exhaust, but the cops in south bend generally have better things to do than mess with us

i saw 2 fully marked patrol cars run each other off of a light near my house once when i was out witha couple guys cruising in our dsms... brake torqued it and all, went on green... we knew what they were doing before they went, i would kill to have had a camera on hand for that hehe

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by tonyz2897 View Post
    Well from what they said in the article, they have way more road than they do police, so that makes sense that you don't see too many of them. It's a shame about the speed limit going back into effect. I always wanted to take a trip out there just to do some high speed driving without fear of cops.
    It is a shame, but I remember the fight was that the federal government told montana they had to actually have a posted numerical limit, or they wouldn't give them any money for the freeways etc. As one who lived in Montana for years (and still wouldn't mind going back one day), I remember the court cases associated with the "Reasonable and Prudent". Too many idiots were arguing that going 95-100mph in an old beater that was almost ready to fall apart while driving Drunk/High and saying that the speed was still "reasonable and prudent" to them, so they shouldn't have gotten tickets. Yeah, that sucked, I miss the no speed limit.

-Will

Hybrid booster

this is exactly why i love my k wagon. as long as i keep it looking like a sleeper nobody will ever bother me! Maine isn't as bad as some states. a cat-back exhaust may be installed and must not exceed 95 decibels (hopefully the fwd-p systems meets this). most of the other laws concern extra lighting and tire size changes, which is less stringent for me because i don't have ABS. but i'm keeping the stock tire diameter (bigger wheels) for clearance and speedo calibration. i emailed the state awhile back and also have read up on the SEMA work to make allowances for hobbyists. if you know you were unfairly treated or got ticketed for something legal, document everything and take it to a judge!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooty View Post
    It is a shame, but I remember the fight was that the federal government told montana they had to actually have a posted numerical limit, or they wouldn't give them any money for the freeways etc. As one who lived in Montana for years (and still wouldn't mind going back one day), I remember the court cases associated with the "Reasonable and Prudent". Too many idiots were arguing that going 95-100mph in an old beater that was almost ready to fall apart while driving Drunk/High and saying that the speed was still "reasonable and prudent" to them, so they shouldn't have gotten tickets. Yeah, that sucked, I miss the no speed limit.

-Will
    Isn't it funny how the federal government treats the states like kids? Do something we don't like and you don't get any allowance...
    I remember they interviewed a cop for the PM article. He said he handled reasonable and prudent on a case by case basis. He said he wouldn't give Mario Andretti a ticket for going 150+ in a Ferrari, but if farmer Joe tried the same thing in his pickup that was a different story.

Around here the cops can be dicks sometimes too, but they usually only go after you if you're driving like an idiot. I've got a plymouth satellite, big block, big rear tires and a jacked up rear end. The exhaust isn't overpoweringly loud, but you can hear it. Cops have been right beside me, behind me, etc and never bugged me at all, even tho I'm sure they could give me a ticket if they wanted. But there's a street downtown that's popular for cruising on sunday nights. In the early-mid 90's it was just the cruisers who cruised on sunday nights, you know, guys with lots of cash into their cars who don't street race em. But in the last 5-10 years it's changed from cruisers to street racers. So if you have anything illegal on your car, or rev your engine a lil too loud, etc you're just begging for a ticket. The racing on that road was a hot-button political thing a couple years ago so the cops really clamped down.

Just glad we don't have emissions testing out here, I know for sure my satellite wouldn't pass, and I highly doubt my daytona would have a chance either. I'm sure it's comming eventually. We do have to have safety inspections done on our cars before registering them tho, and that sucks. Keeps a lot of rustbuckets/beaters off the road, so in a sense it's good, but in another way it's crap cause you can't just buy a couple hundred dollar winter beater.

Hybrid booster

plan on running an open downpipe (CUTOUT) for my 45 mile trips to drag strip each week....this spring and summer and fall.....like i have done often in the past.....it makes me feel like im riding a motorcycle....

FREEDOM

painted my hood bright white and added a strong blue "SHELBY" wide racing stripe on turbo hump.........it makes me feel like im riding a motorcycle......

FREEDOM

my car has low emissions and gets 34.8 mpg..........and i love nature.....woods paintball rules....and i mountain bike...........KINDA LIKE RIDING A MOTORCYCLE.

FREEDOM

if ya walk around in a room ....while others just sit......and stare.....ya git to see a bit more........

deuce

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234