Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cops puttin the squeeze on

Thumbs down Cops puttin the squeeze on

So I went to the track last night with the 'tona. Made a few runs nothing spectacular due to a missfire in 3rd and 4th gears. Anyway after being eliminated first round I decide no good will come from running it more and head home. As I leave the track there are 2 California Highway Patrol cars sittin off the side of the track entrance. I leave slow and easy and down the road a little there are two more cars with a honda pulled over. They have the hood up and are talking to the driver in front of it. I put by doing 45 in a 55 and just passed them off the side of the road are about 6 CHP motorcyle cops lying in wait. None of the hasseled me but stsill I was nervous. So now we have the police hasseling the people going to the Legal drag races. Why can't they focus on the people out there on the streets? If they keep this up it will only hurt the only local legal racing outlet, and street racing is bound to rise. I just don't get it.
    /rant

Does this kiind of thing happen at the tracks you guys go to? Or is it just a California thing?

Hybrid booster

Re: Cops puttin the squeeze on

Since you are in Ca and have all the smog rules, I am almost betting they are looking for the cars with the fart cannons, etc. to pull over. Basic violation give PC to stop, and then they go from there...

I haven't seen it where I am located, but then again, I haven't been to a track in years.

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Its rare on the East Coast.... much different.
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank
    Its rare on the East Coast.... much different.
    Yep 2 different worlds. US > Peoples Republic of California

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

They should just rename California-The new/old Germany. Hitler had nothing on these new guys. I feel sorry for all you hotrodders out there. You guys have rampant crime and all they care about is how many illegal aftermarket parts you have on your car. Very very sad,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

^^^^Yep, that's one big reason why I may just not go back there. Loved the car scene, loved going to (used to be called) Sears Point and Sac Raceway, loved the junkyards for having parts all the time, hated the stupid laws. I'll go to some place where the weather is similar, but I don't have to deal with being harrassed all the time. It's bad enough getting pulled over all the time for DWB!

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

the problem is cali has made it illegal to have a lot of mods, so all they have to do is pop the hood and find the illegal stuff, and boom ticket!

clay
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Whats worse is for the amount of laws... you think it would be sleeper central, but no... BLING BLING yo!
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Mo used to do that to check for stolen engines and transmissions. It the numbers didn't match, you better have a notarized bill of sale for same or they seized the car.
    When I had the Daytona inspected I asked them about that. They DID check the numbers, but they were the right year and the guy said f..k it.
    I seen the street parties where they do burnouts with people in the street out there. I would guess they are hassling the most likely candidates for that c..p.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

Yep. I love California, but it'd be a big pain in my rear with all those laws.

Michigan is a pretty leniant (sp?) state. No emissions or inspections. I've only been pulled over once for something on my car and that was because I didn't have a muffler and it was the "i have nothing else better to do" lake orion cops. I ended up getting it waived but they still gave me ---- for the new "straight through" dynomax muffler I put on.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

turbo addict

Sad to hear about the harrasment by the track. it wasn't unusual to have a patrolman down the road from out old strip at the 4 lane portion. Just to stop people from racing on the way home. They never bothered anyone unless you were breaking the law, just made thier presence known. Look at the bright side; you have a track nearby. We don't and street racing is a problem....coming from an avid street racer.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Hybrid booster

Those guys are total douchebags Luke. When I lived in Sac we would get those problems every once in a while leaving the track. Basically if the CHP are having a slow night in that district they'll head out to excelsior and hassle people. When I was big into the aircooled vw's they pulled about 10 of us over leaving the bug-o-rama and had us on the side of the road for about an hour and a half giving us ----. I got a ticket for having dual webers and not having the stock oil bath air filter. I believe the owner of the track actually filed a harassement lawsuit against the CHP because they were driving away customers since people were afraid to come out to the track and get hassled by them. After that they layed off for a while, sad to hear that they're back to their old tricks. You're absolutely right about it increasing street racing, they should be out promoting people going to the track, not harassing people and discouraging them. Asshats, total asshats.

turbo addict

Here in Ontario, we have the lovely O.P.P. helping keeping our streets clean of street racing by offering the "erase" program, check it out.http://www.opp.ca/Community/DriverSa...jectErase.html

This means they set up a drag racing session over at Mosport (50 miles east of Toronto) and bust the balls of everyone who enters to legally race thier car. They nailed trailers for lights, weight, tires, you name it. And cars for basically ANY modification on it. This includes cold air intakes that use a different pcv make up tube, and that's considered "tampering with emmission control devices" and it'll get you a fine of over $300. nice, eh?

Around the race tracks onFriday night test & tune, they're usually around the neighbouring towns nailing cars left, right, and center. Usually these people are driving like twits anyways.

It's just stupid around here. They've passed a law that if you're caught street racing, you're car is impounded!!! They showed this on the front page of the Toronto Sun a few weeks ago, by crushing 2 impounded cars with a bulldozer. What bothers me most is the definition of street racing they have. In a call in show on t.v. a guy asked about 2 cars accelerating to the posted speed limit, (who hasn't done that. I mean really.) That's considered street racing. Honestly. It's retarded here. thanks, end of rant.

boostaholic

This is why I run a nice quiet Bosch BOV inside the airbox and mod my chip rather than have boost controllers and other tell tale mods.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

You down with OPP (Yeah you know me)
    Who's down with OPP (Every last homie)
    You down with OPP (Yeah you know me)
    Who's down with OPP (All the homies)

Sorry, I had to.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

Garrett booster

Nothing like that here in PA. If you don't do anything stupid the cops pretty much let you alone. Although there is the occassional town cop with nothing better to do.

On a related note, a state trooper came to the local track the other week. He was chasing a Mini Cooper S and the Cooper decided to come into the track. Turns out the kid didn't have a licence and it was his moms car that he took without permission!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I would never live in ca. Of course, I probably would not make it much across state lines with my weapons and cars though, so it is probably a moot point.

turbo addict

I'm not surprised to hear they do this. I haven't heard of it here, but I know the cops here watch for people speeding on both the main highways away from our track on Friday nights. I've yet to see anyone pulled over and having their vehicle inspected, so I think it's an honor system. Basically, if you drive normally, we'll look beyond the fact that you have a modified car and were just racing it at a track.

Hybrid booster

They don't bother us when whe leave the track out here in West Michigan.

Always a radar trap here after Friday night tune & test, but if you drive normal no problem.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast