Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one here?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Am I the only one here?

Was just wondering if I am the only one here with a Caliber SRT-4? Seems unfortunate that the "old-skool" crowd never caught on with this car at all. I've owned this car for a little over two years now and I gotta say I love the damn thing. My only gripes so far are the lack of rear view visability and no USB or iPod connectivity. Other than that, this thing is a blast!! I guess I'm a little surprised that the 2.2/2.5 crowd gives the car such a bad rap but I gotta say I love this thing! It is seriously the fastest car I have ever driven. That may sound a little wierd but compared to my old turbo dodges it is seriously better in every way (except for rear view visability).

So far the only mods I have done as far as performance is the Mopar Stage I ECU. It helped a lot, especially with regards the the throttle response which sucks big time (stock) thanks to the drive-by-wire bullshit. I have been thinking of getting the new RealTune "MS1K" (Mopar Stage 1 Killer) tune though. That is supposed to help out a lot as far as t he throttle respone, even more the the Mopar S1 ECU. Other than that, I'm not sure I want to do anything else to the car. I thought of getting a high flow downpipe from NeedsWings or RealTune but I gotta admit I really like having a quiet car for once! All of my older turbo mopars have 3" exhaust systems and this CSRT with stock exhaust is faster than all of them! It's just not right, hence my decision to go 16v with the fleet. I mean, I buy this CSRT and right off the bat it's way faster than any of my old skool turbo-mopars despite all that I have done for them; it's just not right dammit! I mean seriously I can only hope that a TIII in my Omni GLH will keep up with the damn thing!!!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Am I the only one here?

They are nice cars, i have seen a couple on here?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

They'll catch on when they hit the junk yard. Newer cars are too much $$$ to mess around with and blow up.
    later Dick Westerhof

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Weren't there less than 2000 of them sold? Rarity might be a reason. Also a completely new engine family and lack of aftermarket support and limited DIY upgrade ability. Replacement tires cost more than some of us wrapped up in entire project cars.

I sat in one at the dealership back in the day. Loved the seats. Didn't like the shifter or the overall looks of it. The sticker price didn't help matters, as there was a slightly used Magnum R/T on the lot for less money.
    Last edited by contraption22; 06-06-2011 at 09:01 AM.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Yeah, I can see that as far as warranty goes. I bought the extended 7/70 warranty since the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty wasn't available for the SRT cars. So far I have only had to bring it in for warranty work for:

1. Control arm bolts. Everytime I hit the gas at full torque it would clunk loudly! Or if I hit even a mild pothole! I brought it in to the local dealership at 8AM and they found a TSB regarding the issue and had it fixed by by lunch break. Never heard it since.

2. Black-out tape on door pillars. Only the CSRT Calibers got the blackout tape and mine started wrinkling/chipping because they bunched up at the corners of the pillar. The local dealership had it fixed in no time with new black out tape and so far it's been fine.

3. Brakes pulsating. I had a problem with the brakes pulsating a few thousand miles after I got the car. Found out the front brake rotors were slightly out of spec so I had the local dealership resurface them and they have been great so far.

I gotta admit though, I only have about 11k miles on the car since buying it two years ago. It's pretty much pleasure vehicle only and I don't dare deliver pizza in it. That's what my Regal and Shelby Lancer are for!! Haha. No wonder I'm building a 2.5L TIII for the SL and 2.2L TIII for the Omni, they gotta show the Caliber who's boss!!! But I don't think a stock TIII turbo is gonna cut it!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Our caliber srt-4 has 50K on it, and still running great!........
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

boostaholic

I really liked the car when it came out and thought about selling my SRT-4 Neon to get one, but I couldn't
    justify selling my car that was paid off and had 15,000 miles on it to get a new car payment.
    Today it sits in the garage, sun is shining and I don't even have insurance on it yet, now has 18,000 miles.

turbo addict

Nice cars, but I here they don't hold up well to lots of boost like their older iron block ancestors. Ive seen a few that have cracked the blocks.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I can't attest to the accuracy of these numbers but they probably present a reasonably accurate snapshot of how limited the production was.

http://homepage.mac.com/mouser/CSRT4...ry/CSRT4R.html

I am in the same boat as Keito, I drove a new one and while I really liked it, at the time (2008) there was no blue CSRT-4 available and my NSRT-4 had under 20k on it.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I will say, that my attitude towards it has softened. Especially since I really miss having a hatchback daily driver. Especially lately.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic

Wow, I remember when you had nothing good to say about it!

Hybrid booster

Had a "regular" version for a rental car when traveling for work one time. Lack of visibility was a killer for me. I would never drive a car that I dont feel like i have damn close to 360 degree visibility, and that think i felt like i had maybe 180.

and its not very good looking imo....you can make anything go fast...but there's only so much you can do about appearance on any given car....

glad you're enjoying it, at the end of the day, that's what's most important

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I may be taking a shot in the dark here but i think the lack of AWD curtailed the customer base by a lot.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff dodgeshadowchik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boost geek View Post
    They'll catch on when they hit the junk yard. Newer cars are too much $$$ to mess around with and blow up.
    +1 This is turbo-mopar, after all. I think most of the people here dislike car payments.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    I may be taking a shot in the dark here but i think the lack of AWD curtailed the customer base by a lot.
    This too.. With the EVO and WRX... it seems that they should've offered an AWD version. They had one on the R/T, so I don't think it would've been that far fetched. Also, these newer cars and all the electronic garbage on them make them less user-friendly to modify and work on. See above comment about $$

"I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Again im not certain on this but i think it was originally considered and tested as AWD but they were breaking things and caught a case of the WAAAAAAAAs and gave up instead of making it work.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

As far as I know, the other Calibers that were AWD equipped could only come with the dreaded CVT transaxle, and that would have never held up to the 2.4L Turbo. I doubt they would have even bothered testing that setup in the CSRT.

Also, I heard they were originally going to come with the Quaife LSD like the NSRTs did, but the bean counters decided it was better to go with an electronic traction control system. So far I think it actually works quite well and it keeps the cars tires from spinning out of control through the gear. You can turn it 'off', and the car is more fun to drive but you burn up the tires a lot more then.

Actually, I don't mind the lack of a real LSD. There are videos on YouTube of Neil Emiro's Caliber that he has installed his own traction control system and he was cutting very consistent mid-to-high 5 second 0-60 MPH times measuring with the built in performance computer in the cluster.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I will say, that my attitude towards it has softened. Especially since I really miss having a hatchback daily driver. Especially lately.
    Two words my friend - Turismo 2.2!
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

my buddy dynoed 332whp and 353? tq on 18 psi with a mopar stage 1.5 (test computer?)
    only mod was the computer and 3" from turbo back. car ran 13.0 @ 112 with 2.1 60 footers....

mary beth has a beautiful picture of it smoking the tires up at SDAC 15 (the pic made it into a magazine......)
    i got the video somewhere too.....the car was still filled with smoke when we opned the hatch 6-7 hours later to get some things out of the car

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Thought I spotted one yesterday. Did they also come in black or just that orange color ?

I think I remember seeing that one. Was it black? Somebody should post up a pic of that.

Would like to mod my CSRT further, but I got too many things going on so I am not letting myself buy anything for it until I bring my older cars back to life with TIII transplants. As much as I love the car, I would like nothing more than to put the hurt on it with my Shelby Lancer and the world will be a little more right.

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Thought I spotted one yesterday. Did they also come in black or just that orange color ?
    You could get them in orange, red, black, silver, and blue. Orange was '08-only and blue was '09-only though. I'd post a pic of my car but my site (turbosedan.com) is down.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast