Thread: Clutch release problem. Neon trans t350

turbo addict

Clutch release problem. Neon trans t350

When putting the srt engine in my neon, I also installed a SPEC stage 2+ clutch. This is a modular clutch that contains the disk/pressure plate, and flywheel already together. All I did is bolt it to the flex plate. The transmission shifted perfect before, and went into all gears from a dead stop with no problem.

Now, the clutch is not releasing properly and I am unable to go into 1st gear most of the time. I am able to start off in 2nd gear, and the I can go through all of the gears pretty easily the rest of the time. I installed a new MOPAR clutch cable in hopes of fixing the issue but it did nothing.

Upon first startup I am able to go into 1st gear fine, but after warming up a few seconds the problem occurs. SPEC does not think anything is wrong with their clutch, but I am at total loss. It almost seems to me that the disk may be too thick.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Clutch release problem. Neon trans t350

If it was OK before adn not now, how is the disk too thick? They get thinner, not thicker... BUT there is the self adjustment of the cable right? So if it did bed in and get thinner, maybe the adjuster adjusted prematurely and now is too tight? When you changed the clutch cable this should have fixed that tho... Hmmm... unless it is the wrong length? Any noises? Ya know, like a bad TO bearing may rattle like hell untill you press the clutch pedal then it quiets down?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Its a brand new clutch that I installed. There are no noises of any sort. The clutch cable has a spring of some sort that is supposed to take up the slack in the cable and adjust it.

Sounds like clutch plate drag. any chances you had any difficulty lining up the clutch and trans on assembly? I have seen many times where guys have distorted the disk when assembling and caused this exact problem.

turbo addict

Nope, the trans slide right on. Since its a modular clutch everything is already lined up and its pretty easy to get together.

sounds like it's time to have a professional have a look at it.

no chance that any of the weight of the trans hung on the disc while you were trying to put bellhousing bolts in?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar View Post
    sounds like it's time to have a professional have a look at it.

no chance that any of the weight of the trans hung on the disc while you were trying to put bellhousing bolts in?
    Not with that style clutch. The clutch is completely separate from the engine untill you bolt it to the flexplate like a torque converter.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Ya, I know how it's attached. I've taken the trans off and put on just like the old days too... IDK how you did it so I have to throw out all possibilities... after all if you didn't have a problem then you wouldn't be asking how to fix it. sorry for suggesting something impossible to do... but then afterall, how do I know what you did or didn't do that is causing this problem. without any kind of educated guess, it guess it's all specualation as to what went wrong. that's why seeking a true professional expert to see,hear,feel,smell,taste the situation my provide a more accurate assessment to resolve the problem vs wannabe armchair hack mechanics via the internet throwing out stupid ideas.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Dude you need to relax. You give suggestions and they gave you an answer back. If you don't like what they give as an answer, don't give your .02. It is that simple. I didn't see anything nasty in their remarks, so relax.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

The problem is "Professional" drive line people around here know nothing about the neon stuff, nor modular setups. I stopped at the clutch place in town and they had no ideas. I think I can just live with it for now. T350 HD, and turbo pt clutch are on the list for upgrades over the winter.

I have had nothing but bad luck with aftermarket clutches.

turbo addict

Now that I hooked up the full exhaust I can hear the trans making quite a bit of noise...or at least it sounds like it. In reverse, and while bouncing of idle in 1st gear there is a knocking noise coming from the trans. Trans on its way out or does it still sound like a clutch problem?

Every once and a while it doesn't like to go into the higher gears when shifting slowly.