Thread: worth swapping springs over??

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

worth swapping springs over??

hey was wondering what the difference, if any, there might be, between the set of coil springs for a 85 Lancer ES, and a 87 Shelby Z

just wondering if its worth while to swap over the 87 Z springs onto my lancer?? thanks!!!

Re: worth swapping springs over??

the best answer is to have the springs rated and choose the stiffer ones. Any latemodel stock car guy or car builder in your area will have a spring rater. (I have one myself and what a handy tool to have)

thanks, not sure where i might find one of them in town.....was hoping for the easy answer, like YES the shelby Z springs are stiffer and possibly lower car more??lol

edit: ok got the springs out. they are about 3/4" shorter then the lancer ES ones, and they def have a higher spring rate because they were alot more firm feeling when i bounced my body weight on them
    Last edited by Juggy; 06-02-2011 at 10:40 AM.

gone crazy Turbo Mopar Contributor J&H Ryan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juggy View Post
    and they def have a higher spring rate because they were alot more firm feeling when i bounced my body weight on them
    lmfao!!!
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    thanks, not sure where i might find one of them in town.....was hoping for the easy answer, like YES the shelby Z springs are stiffer and possibly lower car more??lol

edit: ok got the springs out. they are about 3/4" shorter then the lancer ES ones, and they def have a higher spring rate because they were alot more firm feeling when i bounced my body weight on them

I guess the only way to help you is to do all the work for you. I gave you a clue as to how you can find out the answer. you want me to get out a local phone book for you and find race car builders in your area along with race tracks in your area? You could also do some research how to measure and rate springs using a ruler, bathroom scale, weights and math skills.

Hybrid booster

For what it's worth lancer es srpings should be 200lbs front and 130lbs rear. I do not know the Z' springs, but I would imagine they are slightly firmer.

Hybrid booster

firmer, yes, but they will also lower the ride height. unless you drop the front too, it might not be the best idea.

i bought moog cargo coils (for a k wagon) for my 86 aries wagon. spring rate (270lbs) and weight capacity was much higher, but it dropped the rear end nearly an inch after the springs settled. i was like W-T-F?!! the stock wagon springs are supposed to sit high to account for carrying loads. tried them on my 89 spirit es and they actually made the car sit high in the back. looked through the moog coil spring list to find the style/size that will fit and do what i want.....gonna try a pair of cargo coils for an 86 LTD wagon as they are 3/4" higher loaded height than factory k wagon springs and have a 340lb rate. i want height and stiffness for towing motorcycles.

Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar View Post
    I guess the only way to help you is to do all the work for you. I gave you a clue as to how you can find out the answer. you want me to get out a local phone book for you and find race car builders in your area along with race tracks in your area? You could also do some research how to measure and rate springs using a ruler, bathroom scale, weights and math skills.
    im sure i could have called around. but getting around is the tough part. i swapped the rears only, didnt bother with the fronts...the rear end may sit slightly lower then b4, but its way more stiff! i also put bigger tires on so that might be why the car seems to sit lower as well.....