Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What size tire? 16" Pumpers on Rampage

Hybrid booster

What size tire? 16" Pumpers on Rampage

I mounted the pumpers on the Rampage and decided that after 5 years it's time to retire the crabs and swap to my Pumpers. Wondering what size tire I can fit under it? Of course, like all my T-M's it'll get drove hard so I don't want tire rub when cornering or at lock-lock when I turn but want to go as wide as I can.

I had 225/50/15 on the crabs and they fit great. When I got the 16's 2 of them had 225/55/16's (which don't fit the back of the truck cause they rub the fender really bad.) The other 2 16's had 215/55/16's on them and I cant fit my pinky between them and the front of the rear fender.

What size do I need guys?
    Thanks in advance

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re: What size tire? 16" Pumpers on Rampage

I've got 205/50/16s on my Charger. They fit perfectly.

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

Also, I swapped a blue gear onto my speed sensor. The speedometer is within 2mph of those roadside radar readouts, which is the most accurate of any Turbo Mopar I've owned.

Hybrid booster

that looks like it should work. As long as they clear with it lowered. How close is the tire to the lip of the fenderwell?

The rear looks close, but hasn't rubbed even with 400lbs of top soil in the hatch. There's more than enough clearance in the front. I have brushed the nose extension on the right side slightly, but that's more because the previous owner installed it crooked and I haven't fixed it. If you look at my sig pic, you can see he just riveted them to the side of the car. I'm running the LRE lowering springs from FWDPerformance, so it had about a 1" drop, but the 1" taller tires did raise it back up some.

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the info. Time to go order some tires.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    I've got 205/50/16s on my Charger. They fit perfectly.
    [COLOR="Silver"]
    Looks good! I am looking at 16" rims as well, but 225/45/16, which actually comes out to be the same exact sidewall height and overall diameter as your 205/50/16. I don't think it will rub. Both of these setups are a 1" larger total diameter than stock.

225/40/16 the same as stock, but no tires seem to exist in that size...

Derek

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

205/45/16 has a ton of tire choices, so I may end up with that. The 225s are way too limiting, mostly sport touring type tires. 205s come in a lot more aggressive compounds.

I used to put a lot of 205/45/16s on ricer cars in the early 2000s, and they have a very short sidewall. They came back consistently with flat spotted rims and ruined tires. Lincoln has a lot of nasty potholes. Several of the owners never even knew they had a flat until they drove the tire right off the rim, so keep a close eye on them. Yes, most of these kids were complete idiots, but just want to give you a heads up.

If you have a wide enough rim, I'm very sure a 225/45/16 would fit under an L-body. The 16" pumpers unfortunately are only 6" wide (seems to be a bad habit of Chrysler), and that would be a tough fit with that short a sidewall. The 205/50s on my car are Firestone Wide Ovals, and I absolutely love them. They're very quiet, very sticky, and don't even slip easily in pouring rain. They have since been replaced by the Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 (that's a mouthful), and have a different tread design, but the reviews seem to be consistent with the old ones.

Hybrid booster

I used to put a lot of 205/45/16s on ricer cars in the early 2000s, and they have a very short sidewall. They came back consistently with flat spotted rims and ruined tires. Lincoln has a lot of nasty potholes. Several of the owners never even knew they had a flat until they drove the tire right off the rim, so keep a close eye on them. Yes, most of these kids were complete idiots, but just want to give you a heads up.

If you have a wide enough rim, I'm very sure a 225/45/16 would fit under an L-body. The 16" pumpers unfortunately are only 6" wide (seems to be a bad habit of Chrysler), and that would be a tough fit with that short a sidewall. The 205/50s on my car are Firestone Wide Ovals, and I absolutely love them. They're very quiet, very sticky, and don't even slip easily in pouring rain. They have since been replaced by the Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 (that's a mouthful), and have a different tread design, but the reviews seem to be consistent with the old ones.
    I agree on the sidewall. The 205/45/16 has a 0.4" thinner sidewall than your 205/50/16. It's a tough choice really... In fact, I just got home last night with a flat rear tire, and I didn't even know it, like you said. Which is why I am looking at tires right now. The only reason I am considering the 205/45 over the 205/50 is so that I can leave a little room to lower the car a bit more.

In the end, if the tires all blow up, I can get 205/50s, they are not too expensive really, considering how much today's 18"-20" tires cost, which are more standard issue nowadays.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I would definitely go for the 205/45/16. My first thought was actually 205/40 but unless you lower the car very aggressively they probably wouldnt look right. IMO the 205/50 is too tall, so 205/45/16 seems like the way to go.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    I would definitely go for the 205/45/16. My first thought was actually 205/40 but unless you lower the car very aggressively they probably wouldnt look right. IMO the 205/50 is too tall, so 205/45/16 seems like the way to go.
    Those were my thoughts too... I just ordered the 205/45/16 for a 16x7 rim. We'll see how it goes! Been debating this for a year, but since my tire finally blew, had to pull the trigger.

Derek

Ya know, come to think of it, it might have been 205/40s that I put on those cars. I dunno, it was a decade ago.

I do remember that my girlfriend's brother and his best friend both had Neons running 205/35/18s at the time. Those were rediculous.

boostaholic

I know they are not 16s, but I have 205.15.17s on the back of the Rampage right now. I like it, but I have re-centered the wheel in the wheel well, plus lowering it 4 inches in the back, so mine is not a good indicator of what will work; lol!!!!!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 54inches View Post
    I know they are not 16s, but I have 205.15.17s on the back of the Rampage right now. I like it, but I have re-centered the wheel in the wheel well, plus lowering it 4 inches in the back, so mine is not a good indicator of what will work; lol!!!!!
    205.15.17?

boostaholic

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

I have 205/55s on the 16" pumpers on my Rampage; they are a gnat's a** tight to the GLHS Koni's spring perches. I avoid really illegal speeds out of fear of tire growth, no doubt they'd hit the perches. I'd have to go to coil overs to go any wider or any taller.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

I have 205/45/16s on my 87 GLHS on 16x7 rims with a 40mm offset.

They are basically the same exact diameter and width as stock.

I think on the next set I will go with a 225/45/16 just because that is the only wider size that is really available in a close to stock diameter on a 16" wheel.

It is really only a 3% increase. It is too bad that there aren't very many 225/40/16 tires out there right now.

I did have rubbing with a 205/60/15 in the rear back in the day when I had a softer rear shock/spring setup and no lowering so the 225/45/16s are getting pretty close to that.

-Rich

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    I have 205/45/16s on my 87 GLHS on 16x7 rims with a 40mm offset.

They are basically the same exact diameter and width as stock.

I think on the next set I will go with a 225/45/16 just because that is the only wider size that is really available in a close to stock diameter on a 16" wheel.

It is really only a 3% increase. It is too bad that there aren't very many 225/40/16 tires out there right now.
    The only reason I didn't go with 225 in 40 or 45 was lack of tire choices. All the choices were not exactly performance tires. The closest was Falken FK452. Other choice was G-Forces which were way too expensive for me. Maybe next time?

G-forces are really overrated anyway for the price.

Hybrid booster

G-forces are really overrated anyway for the price.
    And they look like truck tires...

Sound like them too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast