Thread: slow boost build in 1st gear

Mitsu booster

slow boost build in 1st gear

1986 glht. I have recently installed a spearco intercooler kit on my glh. I have the mp
    computer for a t1 motor. Stock exhaust.Before inercooler install the car was really responsive and built boost around 3000rpm in first gear no problem. With the addition
    of the intercooler it seems the added intake length has reduced the boost until much
    higher rpms in first. I really liked it coming on earlier. Second gear it comes on around 3000rpm and goes to 13psi and goes like a rocket.I checked all vacuum lines and the only
    one that looked suspect was coming from the wastegate. Replaced it. There is an aluminum
    saucer looking piece that is either the transducer or wastegate solenoid i thought might have something to do with it.(What is the function of this piece) Would a g-valve help
    with better response? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jon

turbo addict

Re: slow boost build in 1st gear

Try the g valve I really did notice any loss of spool up on my MP Ic i had on my GLH .

turbo addict

Jon,
    My GLHT with Spearco intercooler is very responsive. So much so that I installed a bigger cam & turbo to try to kill some low RPM HP & torque. My suggestions; double check cam timing. It could be a tooth retarded. Did you change camshafts? Running a roller with your square tooth motor? How much pre-load is on wastegate actuator. Did this get touched? Ignition timing reset? I know setting timing with Spearco intercooler is a challenge, but make sure this is set properly with vehicle at operating temp & coolant sensor unplugged. 12-14 BTDC.
    Todd
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 05-25-2011 at 12:45 AM.

Mitsu booster

Thanks for the response guys. Compression test was 125 across the board with a cheap tester. That seems fine. Check the timing with distributor out. flywheel at tdc, checked cam position, looks fine. Remove the intercooler and found about 1teaspoon of oil in it. This is after about 2000miles.Oil is coming through the turbo seals? The car won't see a lot of miles so might leave this alone for now. Had oil mess/spray on turbo
    compressor tube that goes to the intercooloer, silicone tube must have leaked under boost. Ordered new silicone tubing. We'll see how it runs
    with the new tubing, proper t-clamps and I understand how to set the timing now. When I removed the plugs they looked like brand new. White
    with almost zero colour. I will send a pic to you Todd if you don't mind having a look. My wife thinks I'm crazy wrenching on the omni all the time but it brings a smile to my face when driving it. Just like when I was 19! Thanks for the Help . Jon