Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Need Some Suspension Help

I Need Some Suspension Help

I'm really excited with DJ's tubular control arms and Brian's K-member. I will be buying both. Just waiting for Brain the get the sway bar mounts figured out. Anyhow, it's nice to see the some people tackle the market for those of us who like to corner. However, this leaves me with some questions.

1. With DJ's control arms, he says "custom kingpin dimensions to suit customer application." How do I know what dimensions I need?

2. I was over at PolyBushings to get some bushing lube when I noticed that they sell a rear sway bar. Just curious if this is really needed or beneficial.

The car this all will be going on is a 1989 LeBaron GTC. I have Konis with Eibachs. And I have Chris's adjustable track bar.

Re: I Need Some Suspension Help

Is anyone running the PolyBushings rear K sway bar?

turbo addict

might be helpful in an AutoX situation. But for road course or canyon carving I'd just stick with the solid stock bar and maybe a panhard bar upgrade. IMO these cars are PLENTY tail happy with the right alignment to give the front end it's grip that it's missing out on.

I assume you mean the stock front bar with the CS Racer track bar and no rear bar? Also, what alignment settings would you suggest? I will take it to auto-x but I LOVE to do some canyon carving and I would love to get it out to the track as well.

turbo addict

No I mean the solid "stock sway bar" in the rear axle. Yes I'd upgrade to the CS Racer style panhard bar. Read my write up in the knowledge center. http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/co...s-for-FWD-cars

Oh yeah, hehehe. I forget about that thing. Oh, I and I already have the CS Racer panhard bar. Thanks for the article, that's perfect! Now, to adjust the camber in the rear... how do they do that? Don't they have to add shims under the spindle?

turbo addict

I had the polybushing bar on my Daytona. Worked good for me.

turbo addict

The PB bar just upgrades the bushings, doesn't take the flex away from the crappy metal itself flexing.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I think he's talking about the rear sway bar and you're talking about the poly track bar bushings.. right?

I have the aftermarket rear sway on my aries and have another for my dynasty. To me it comes down to how fast you want to be going when you take turns. If you primarily would be autoXing and not throwing it into curves at higher speeds (60+mph) id get the swaybar. If you want to drive really fast on the street, id skip it. Id rather have limit understeer on the street by a mile, and its still definitely possible to spin out in a higher speed curve if you do it wrong, even with stock rear bar.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Yeah, I have the CS Racer panhard bar. I'm talking about the sway bar itself. I'm really considering this now. However, I had another idea.

Boxing in the bottom of the axle. Seems like that would add some strength to the axle as well. And then toss the sway bar on. The car will be a street car that I take to auto-x and the track once and a while.

turbo addict

I also make a panhard bar.....
    http://polybushings.com/pages/1095.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1095.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	33346
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Welding the axle AND adding the swaybar is something you should definitely NOT do unless you want this to be an autox car and not turn fast on the street. In all the k-cars ive had, the number of times i spun them out was directly proportional to how much roll stiffness i added. The first time i EVER spun a k-car was after welding the axle. The car ive spun the most is the car i welded the axle AND put the external sway bar on.

Your car is too valuable to risk on overkill rear suspension. Do you actually, actively WANT more roll stiffness than it already has, or is this more of an exploratory question?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I've heard bad things can happen if you box the rear axle in. If you do that, you take away from its flex and basically make it solid.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

If you put the sway bar in, you still get a small amount of bushing deflection. This should be less stiff than welding a plate across the bottom. Make sure your tires are sticky. If they aren't sticky enough to go with the added roll stiffness.....spin city.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

In my experience welding the plate (ive done either 2 or 3 axles, cant remember) is a smaller change than doing the external swaybar. The axle tube still bends.. The U-channel you are boxing is less torsionally rigid than the actual bar inside it so boxing it in is not a night and day change. I have always wanted to experiment with stacking plates and clamping them with U-bolts but ive never gotten around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    In my experience welding the plate (ive done either 2 or 3 axles, cant remember) is a smaller change than doing the external swaybar. The axle tube still bends.. The U-channel you are boxing is less torsionally rigid than the actual bar inside it so boxing it in is not a night and day change. I have always wanted to experiment with stacking plates and clamping them with U-bolts but ive never gotten around to it.
    True, I forgot to take into account the size of the swaybar. The thicker, more rigid bars would do like you said. Thanks for the correction.
    Bryan

turbo addict

Then, you could always order a smaller rear bar instead.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

I got the polybushings rear swaybar. I like it. I've never spun the car. I've auto-x'd it and driven it pretty hard on the street
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Then, you could always order a smaller rear bar instead.
    Exactly where I was going with my posts.
    Bryan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast