Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1987 Dakota

turbo addict

1987 Dakota

1987 Dodge Dakota Std Cab Short Bed
    2.2 5 speed No A/C Manual Steering truck

I found the truck in 2007 at a lot near where I was living at the time, picked it up for 1500 (overpaid). Got in to leave the lot and the brake pedal went soft, found out multiple brake lines had rusted through. So 300 more for a bunch of brake lines, Calipers, Wheel Cylinders, pad, shoes, drums and hardware, I had a running vehicle.

In the Fall of 2007 I was preparing to leave for my yearly trip back home to Mississippi I decided to tackle that pesky leaky valve cover gasket and discovered that someone had attempted to use a mix of different size bolts, and even a large self tapping screw to try and secure the VC to the head. So off came the head, put in a JY head and it spit a rocker and dropped a valve after about 1 minute of running. Crap, out came the motor.

Fast forward two years and I finally got it running again with a 2.5 CB TBI engine with a 36/32 weber DGEV. Motor runs good except for an idle issue that has came up in the past couple of days. I put a set of Mustang GT 17s on it.

The problem is Even with the 2.5 it is kinda gutless, but I have a solution to that problem.

Boost!!!!

The plans are to run a modified 2 piece and a custom exhaust manifold so that the turbo can be flipped over and put the inlet towards the front of the truck.

As of this moment there is a lot left to do, I've started on the wiring using a Caravan engine harness, the Upper Plenum is done and the exhaust header is at the machine shop getting decked flat. I'll get pics up of those in the next couple of days. Until then Enjoy!
    Last edited by moparman76_69; 02-23-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: 1987 Dakota

Wow, cant wait to see more!!

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

You cut up a 2 piece intake for that??????? LOL Had to get it in there before someone else did
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by bradp View Post
    You cut up a 2 piece intake for that??????? LOL Had to get it in there before someone else did
    I already made a thread about that

Awesome project. Should be fun!

Early Dakota's were 5 lug? Wow, did not know that. I thought all Dakotas only had the 6 lug Viper setup.

It looks like an interesting project. A friend in highschool had a turbo 4 ranger and for what it was (mostly junkyard parts and welding rod) it ran pretty well.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 5.8 L Import Eater View Post
    Early Dakota's were 5 lug?
    Chris
    Yes and its an easy swap of the 2nd gens using the 1st gen parts.

turbo addict

Yeah 87-89 were 5x4.5, I got the intake back and almost done, and got the header back from the machine shop today, I'll get pics tomorrow. Only thing left to figure out is the in-tank fuel pump and start swapping.

Oh and I got to find a good runnable swirl head, the one on the motor I'm using had a exhaust stud broke off inside the head and I broke an extractor trying to get it out so I'm screwed now.

turbo addict

Ok got the exhaust mani back from the machine shop, they charged an arm and a leg just to deck the flanges. Anyway here's pics, still trying to decide what to do about a head.
    Last edited by moparman76_69; 02-23-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Looking good!

turbo addict

Not much to report, found out that there is no way to put power steering on the truck using a factory pump, thinking of using a mr2 electric-hydraulic setup instead, it sucks with manual steering especially with the smaller steering wheel and 17s on it.

Money has gotten tight so until I can come up with the cash to get the head I want it's on hold.

turbo addict

OK getting a head soon from Brad, gonna run a stock 2.5 for now until I get to where I have money to blow to build up a motor. If anybody hits up any yards and finds a 91-94 MR2 and can get the power steering pump and reservoir for cheap let me know.

Hybrid booster

Where did you get the head flange and size tubing did you go with?

turbo addict

Got the flanges from FWD and I ended up using 1.25 weld-els, I'd have used 1.5 inch tubes but with the angle I wanted to cut on the side that mated to the head it would have put them down where a bolt wouldn't fit. 1.5 would be about perfect if you weld them straight onto the flange.

turbo addict

Finally about to get back to work on this at least body work wise, gonna go ahead and pick up a ported head.

turbo addict

Get the damn thing finished!!!!
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by bradp View Post
    Get the damn thing finished!!!!
    Yeah I know. Too much other stuff happening and I've been on mandatory overtime. That meant I have the extra money now, but I just bought a caravan and I'm going on vacation at the end of the month so the extra $ to get the rest of the fuel system stuff just ain't there.

what is the rest of the fuel system? An inline walbro and some injectors?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    what is the rest of the fuel system? An inline walbro and some injectors?
    got +40s already, plan on getting a 10 gal aluminum fuel cell, inline 255 or bosch 044, an lines and fittings. Or I might decide to go plastic cell and find a inline pump that will handle E85 and get new injectors and fuel rail.

Trucks make fuel cells so easy...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast