Thread: what to do??? 1988 Daytona Shleby Z 2.2

Mitsu booster

what to do??? 1988 Daytona Shleby Z 2.2 new question/statement

Ok, I have currntly spent my time and money on a 1992 nissan maxima which runs great, but has some things wrong such as hail damage from tornados recently passing through in TN. I have now the option though of a 1988 dodge daytona shelby z; in fairly rough shape not to bad. It has sat for at least 10 years or so it runs off of ether ,but im pretty sure the fuel pump is shot. If i take it the car it will have to be on the road and driveable for school next year. Anybody have any suggestions on how i should go about getting it ready? Thanks
    Last edited by shelbygeek; 06-24-2011 at 10:21 PM.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Re: what to do??? 1988 Daytona Shleby Z 2.2

Wow, ok, so the brakes will most likely need doing-the calipers will most likely be seized and ready to pop, ditto for the wheel cylinders, the linings will be crumbling so replace everything, including the rubber flex hoses and most likely the MC will fail after doing that, so might as well change that.

All coolant hoses, waterpump, thermostat, timing belt and change the cam and crank seals, fan belts, tune up items, tires, fuel filter, maybe the rubber fuel hose's, most likely vacuum lines too, and check the wastegate flapper as it could be seized. Phew.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by shelbygeek View Post
    ... in fairly rough shape not to bad. It has sat for at least 10 years or so...
    I would assume it has been outside so therefore it will need a host of new parts to make it roadworthy. Most people don't just 'park' a car that is running perfectly and doesn't have some sort of major issue.

If i take it the car it will have to be on the road and driveable for school next year.
    I assume that by 'reliable' it will have to be a daily driver? Common sense says that depending on a 23 yo car without another form of transportation for when it inevitably dies is poor planning. If you are using this for something that is a necessity and has to drive any amount of distance, I would discourage this line of thinking. Anything more than a 'toy/hobby' at this point in your life is probably asking for trouble. Having one that is totally gone through and been given the 'thumbs-up' by windshield time is one thing, but don't rush into something just to have a car with some 'speed.' Reliable always outweighs speed when it comes to daily duties...

Anybody have any suggestions on how i should go about getting it ready? Thanks
    Getting it ready will 'probably' take a considerable investment initially as the braking, gaskets, etc are probably rusty and deteriorated. My $.02 is make this a fun project car that you can tinker on and POSSIBLY use a few times next year AFTER it is totally roadworthy. It should NOT be the only source of transportation that you own.
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Hybrid booster

For practicality drive the beat up Nissan that has proven itself reliable. It may not look nice, but you will be driving it to school. I drove an old salesman k car to school which was super reliable, slow, and ugly. All the while, at the house I had a 64 Sport Fury that eventually turned into a nice car.

Hybrid booster

i,m put a 85 daytona z back on the road, i,ve already ran new brake lines fuel line will be next with the new used tank with new sender and fuel pump ,i,v got one power window motors out and need to fix the pass side door too.both front seats are out ,rusty floors . replaced shifter with new unit, motor is intake and turbo away from reinstalling. did a t2 conversion while motor was out. then there will be new shocks on rear and struts on front.i hope to make it a work inprogrest.drive while doing small thing till it,s up and working.
    Last edited by 5sp. mini; 05-20-2011 at 07:03 AM.

Mitsu booster

Thanks for all the advice. As of now we are trying to figure out how to work it out into the picture again. As of us having 7 cars total there is not a whole lot of tinker time for one more. Hopefully though I will have the spare time to work on this car over the summer and possibly have it on the road. Only reason ive even thought about this car is because it was my dads and it got wrecked while parked and insurance adjuster totalled it some 15 years ago or so. The car has had a lot of body parts replaced and is actually pretty well sound just needs a lot of work to run right again. I hope that i can bring it back ive drooled over it forever. I don't necessarily look for a fast car but a cool and nice car worthy of shownig off. I like plain, simple, and clean. From what I can see it has potential. So Once again thanks for all advice

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

That's awesome, a clean, rust free shell is half the battle,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mitsu booster

Another quick and probably dumb qustion ive already figured about 1,500 or so to get it back on the road is this a pretty good estimate???

Mitsu booster

What about seals on the motor. After sitting for 10 or so years wouldn't it throw oil or start leaking.

turbo addict

What about seals on the motor. After sitting for 10 or so years wouldn't it throw oil or start leaking.
    Those are not able to sealed. Dodge engineered all cars to leak everywhere all the time anyway. They designed that to save the undercarriages and underbody parts. When you find a way to seal them, they rust out bad...

D-rips
    O-il
    D-rips
    G-as
    E-verywhere
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Mitsu booster

The car has around 120,000 miles on it. I was wondering if it would be a good idea after having it running for a while to go ahead and rebuild the motor? That being said if I do rebuild it I'll just drive one of my parents cars for a while.

Hybrid booster

just curious what part of Tennessee u in

Mitsu booster

Far north east, near border between virginia and TN

Hybrid booster

oh ok cause iam around nashville

From experience, also figure on a sticky valve or two may injector sticking,

Mitsu booster

On the daytona that i will be working on. It belonged to my dad. Parked because of no insurance. The car was totalled when my dad was young and some maroon backed into it the damage wasnt that bad but the insurance adjuster totalled it. After the vin was changed to an 89 daytona c/s. so i figure this makes the car bout worthless to others in some cases. but not to me. I like this car alot

Mitsu booster

Well, looks like ill be driving a rustang to school. Gonna put the tona in the garage and do it right

turbo addict

Good idea... It's never a good idea to drive a project while it's being done.

Mitsu booster

Already agree on that statement