Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trans Mount not holding

turbo addict

Re: Trans Mount not holding

I've never seen one with anything other than a piece of metal going through the center. I've seen some cheaper ones use a square tube that was open on one end like they bent it from flat steel, but most are a solid square metal tube.

Hybrid booster

These are the pics of the Mount that killed my car, the center diamond piece is made out of $%*# ABS plastic WTF!? I have nothing against what Johnny is doing for our cars, just want to make that known, however i'd like to find the chinese quality control manager and shove this mount up his tiny chinaman ---. And as far as the "its the car, something's wrong idea goes..... my completely stock 3.0 shadow is already showing signs of trans mount failure, two different ppl with two different driving habits drove this car and ive already installed three mounts in 4 years. Yes they are cheap and no its not fun having an inner CV joint break at speed. I'm in the process of fixing this issue and ill post pics of the finished product.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

just go to the store, get some angle iron, cut it and weld it into a square tube, weld some metal flaps on it, center it in the mount frame and pour poly all around it.

done and done.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

however i'd like to find the chinese quality control manager and shove this mount up his tiny chinaman
    me too!

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

I try to buy USA made stuff, HARD to find. My next choice is Canada and Mexico.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Hybrid booster

Ok, lets start with the mount that i removed from my OTHER 3.0L auto shadow, this mount has been in 2 cars over its 2 year or so life span when the other only lasted me 2 weeks.

Now for the pics of the Project mount which has been made by the same chinese dweebs as the last.

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Finished putting the mount in, The car is more smooth now than it EVER has been and i am being dead honest here. There is no jumping or thumping when letting on or off the throttle like there was with a brand new mount in the car. It feels like a completely new car again , if only i did this years before i wouldnt have broken my friggen trans in the other car..... o well. Someone should make these mounts, just weld the bracket flush, duct tape and fill.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Is the the center section where the square tube runs through metal? Because if not, the plastic is going to shatter again and give you the same problem. When flexing Johnny's mount, I don't think that little bit of wear that's shown is a problem. I have one of his mounts in my van for a few years now and it's performed awesome. The part that he fills in is the problem. That's where the load saggs the mount and causes problems.

A.J.

Hybrid booster

I was thinking about that plastic part, but the first mount shown above also has a plastic diamond and it didnt break so maybe i just had a defective mount. The way i see it is the less movement there is the less chance of a slamming motion on the plastic piece. If the parts cant jump back and forth on eachother there wont be any wear, the metal diamond piece is snugg inside the plastic diamond. If i'm wrong ill let you know, it cant be any worse than not having the poly there, if the plastic breaks then the metal part will have to fight its way through the rubber and the poly. Maybe ill beat the balls off it for a few days and report back, trial by error.
    Define insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Garrett booster

Never heard of that brand of urethane B4......

Hybrid booster

Got it from Mcmaster Carr, i think they are based in NJ or Delaware, i forget. Pretty cheap and it showed up next day.

Hybrid booster

So is there any update on this mod? its been 4 years, i'd like to know how well its held up.

turbo addict

turbo addict

I haven't ripped into any of the 90 &^ cars so I have to ask

did they change the hook on the frame rail that the trans mount hangs from when they changed the mounts ?

I know the pass side and front mount appear to be installed differently by a quick glance but I've never really seen the newer trans mount deal

I guess I'm asking if an 88 or 89 trand mount would fit a 90 &^ - given I know one of the bolt holes in the 523/568 trans is a little off center to the bolt holes in the 88-9 mount

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post

did they change the hook on the frame rail that the trans mount hangs from when they changed the mounts ?
    Yes they did.

Working on clearing the decks.

turbo addict

ah , Thanks !

Hybrid booster

The mount in question has outlasted the car and has been passed on to Mr. And Mrs. Skrab's spirit R/T aka Qship. Haven't heard of any issues and Teri was beating the car at auto X and drag racing.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowv4l View Post
    The mount in question has outlasted the car and has been passed on to Mr. And Mrs. Skrab's spirit R/T aka Qship. Haven't heard of any issues and Teri was beating the car at auto X and drag racing.
    Sweet, thats what i needed to know.

turbo addict

Never saw this thread, still wish Johnny offered the more aggressive style mounts. I find these partial filled ones get squished simply from the weight of the drivetrain.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 10-01-2015 at 06:18 AM.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    I haven't ripped into any of the 90 &^ cars so I have to ask

I know the pass side and front mount appear to be installed differently by a quick glance but I've never really seen the newer trans mount deal

I guess I'm asking if an 88 or 89 trand mount would fit a 90 &^ - given I know one of the bolt holes in the 523/568 trans is a little off center to the bolt holes in the 88-9 mount
    Years ago I had a beater DD TBI auto 92 shadow. It's needed a new tranny mount, and I didn't want to spend any money (beater car). I did have a old style tranny mount that was good. I pulled the bad 92 mount, ground the little tabs off the center metal piece the main bolt goes through so I could remove its. I swapped its into the older mount. Bolted right up and worked great.

turbo addict

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Hmm, might snag one of those to try in the black Daytona.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast