Thread: What does it take to convert a california model to federal

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

What does it take to convert a california model to federal

Hi guys,

my never ending baron story: Got a new smec because I blew the old one and nothing, some solenoids clicking like mad while putting the key to run position. By investigating this a bit closer it turns out that my car is a california edition and the solenoid clickin like mad is one which obviously only is present in this type of car. The SMEC of cause is federal.

Now my question (I am on my way of falling into a deep depression): What does it take to convert it to a non california car?

Short Facts: Chrysler Lebaron 1988 2.2 Turbo 1 A/T (California - hopefully soon to be federal )

Please, can anybody tell me that its the easiest thing on earth to do and more important: How?

Thanks (Until today California to me was something desirable. Now thinks have changed slightly........... )

Garrett booster

Re: What does it take to convert a california model to federal

You'll have to get a hold of the "wiring diagrams" book from the FSM set for your year.

You might find that you can just install a "Federal" computer and forget about it, or you might find some simple wiring changes are necessary.

Another solution might be to convert your new SMEC into a California one by swapping the chips. You'd have to compare the guts of the SMECs to make sure that the calibration was the only difference.

Personally, I would get (another) spare SMEC and then just plug one in and hope. :-)

Re: What does it take to convert a california model to federal

Quote Originally Posted by MopàrBCN
    Thanks (Until today California to me was something desirable. Now thinks have changed slightly........... )
    cali version more desirable? ROFL, take a look at the power output figures of the muscle mopar engines of the 60's and 70's. Cali versions always put out less power...