Hi guys,

So the rear struts on my SIL's 1st gen Neon seem to be completely shot. She really doesn't want to put much money into it at all, because we don't think it's got more than another year or two due to corrosion issues, and the electrics are getting a bit funky also.

Anyway, options seem to be, wreckers yard assemblies which don't seem all that well priced for any that are local, around $75 a side and they might not last the year or two. Cheapy new assemblies seem to be in the $120 range. Cheapy struts by themselves seem to run at about $30 or $40 though.

I've got some of those spring clamps, and I've done front struts before with those, and a lot of safety chain, but they need a bit of clearance to use on the car, which I usually like to do, to get better compression with the weight on the springs.

So wondering how much of a PITA it is to swap struts without springs on the rear, and whether to volunteer my services or not.... coz I figure she can get shop to stick the cheapies on for about the same as the assemblies.

thanks,

RW222