Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intermediate Shaft and Bolt Weights (aka oil pump drive shaft or aux shaft)

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Re: Intermediate Shaft and Bolt Weights (aka oil pump drive shaft or aux shaft)

Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar View Post
    digging thru my piles of crap, I discovered I have one of those shafts.
    Nice! Is it gun drilled?

Pics?

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

oh you can see it just pm your email and I'll send it to YOU!!!

boostaholic

I guess I could drive over and talk to Scott, Jay and I work like 5 miles from his shop.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

keep it under control folks. seriously.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

Simon, even if they were using 20W50, or more than likely straight 50W, when that is at racing temps it's not that thick. I just don't see the shaft twisting permanently before the teeth for the pump/drive fail.

On another aside, I think maybe just a simple polish of the outside of the shaft, then rifle drilling the center to a fairly larger ID to reduce weight might be more beneficial. The reason is because then you keep the torsional strength of the larger OD, but loose the unneeded weight of the center. Of course this would have to be done within reason, and it still would be weaker torsionally than the stock shaft.

Ultimately, a custom shaft out of aluminum, or 300M steel alloy with a keyed on gear, and pressed on hardened steel bearing races for roller bearings would be the way to go!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Simon, even if they were using 20W50, or more than likely straight 50W, when that is at racing temps it's not that thick. I just don't see the shaft twisting permanently before the teeth for the pump/drive fail.

On another aside, I think maybe just a simple polish of the outside of the shaft, then rifle drilling the center to a fairly larger ID to reduce weight might be more beneficial. The reason is because then you keep the torsional strength of the larger OD, but loose the unneeded weight of the center. Of course this would have to be done within reason, and it still would be weaker torsionally than the stock shaft.

Ultimately, a custom shaft out of aluminum, or 300M steel alloy with a keyed on gear, and pressed on hardened steel bearing races for roller bearings would be the way to go!
    would real easy to do if you cut the old gear off and drilled it out and added a key, better yet the shaftvcould be titanium
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Prehardened 4140 could be half the size.

turbo addict

I thought about titanium, but that would only be an option for those with a limitless pocketbook!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12