Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm New Here, W/ An '85 Shelby Charger

Mitsu booster

I'm New Here, W/ An '85 Shelby Charger

I'm Bill and I picked up on a deal for an '85 Shelby Charger (Turbo'd) and things were just fine and then it died on me and won't start. I lost power to the distributor and the electric fuel pump. There have been a number of modifications to this car too. I'm told that there are fusible links in the electrical system and that THAT is most likely my problem. Any input as to where those links are? I haven't spent too much time checking it out, as I've been pretty busy. When I get the chance (maybe this evening) I'll post the changes that were made and I can say now that the car has SOME parts from a Daytona Shelby Z (such as, the wheels, the rear disc brake, the master cylinder and the Shifter w/ cables) and it has an intercooler from an SRT4.

BTW, been a Mopar man since way before there Mopar name came into being. Had a '56 Plymouth, 2 '66 Chargers, 2 '69 road runners, a '76 road runner, a '74 Dodge Royal Monaco (ex Arkansas state police car), an '84 Plymouth Turismo 2.2 and now have the Shelby, a '69 Plymouth GTX and an '07 Charger R/T.

boostaholic

Re: I'm New Here, W/ An '85 Shelby Charger

Welcome to the board, here's where you want to start....http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by butchsuppe View Post
    Welcome to the board, here's where you want to start....http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/
    Thank you for the Welcome AND the link to the Troubleshooting area as well. I joined here sometime back, but kinda got sidetracked and didn't make it back.

I've got a friend who is working on getting a Neon SRT4 and I'll definitely recommend they come over here as well. Now, THAT car has NO problem! Hoping to get MINE back in action as well. The Previous owner says they used to "Spank" Mustangs with this one. Supposed to be putting out around 250hp with the capability of about 300 with the cam dialed in. That's alot of HP for such a little engine, isn't it? I've got a list of the mods that were done to it and when I figure out exactly where I can post them, I'll get at it.

Gonna try to get after the Shelby Tomorrow, weather permitting.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

You may as well just post it up in here so we can help you get it running in one thread.

The first thing I would check is that it is seeing a signal from the HEP. To do this disconnect the battery and wait for a minute or so to reset the computer.

Then crank the engine over. Now pull the codes by cycling the key from off to the run postition.

On-off-on-off-on.

The check engine light should hopefully blink the codes at you. A series of long flashes will make up the first number, the shorter flashes will be the second number.

You should see a code 12 for the battery being recently disconnected and 55 signals the end of the codes. You'll get these pretty much all the time.

If you get a code 11 after resetting the computer that tells you that the computer has never seen a HEP signal. That indicates that the HEP is bad. Since the HEP being bad won't allow for the fuel pump to run or the coil to fire that could surely be your problem.

You also should check to make sure that the cam is spinning while you are cranking the motor. You could have stripped off teeth from the timing belt near the crank, or the belt could be broken. Either way, they are non-interference motors so it is no big deal.

Welcome to the site.

ETA: IF the hep is sending out a signal and the cam turns, run a jumper wire from the + battery terminal to the + side of the coil. That will energize the fuel pump. If the pump doesn't run it is either bad, or there is a break in the connection to the pump which you will need to track down.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    You may as well just post it up in here so we can help you get it running in one thread.

The first thing I would check is that it is seeing a signal from the HEP. To do this disconnect the battery and wait for a minute or so to reset the computer.

Then crank the engine over. Now pull the codes by cycling the key from off to the run postition.

On-off-on-off-on.

The check engine light should hopefully blink the codes at you. A series of long flashes will make up the first number, the shorter flashes will be the second number.

You should see a code 12 for the battery being recently disconnected and 55 signals the end of the codes. You'll get these pretty much all the time.

If you get a code 11 after resetting the computer that tells you that the computer has never seen a HEP signal. That indicates that the HEP is bad. Since the HEP being bad won't allow for the fuel pump to run or the coil to fire that could surely be your problem.

You also should check to make sure that the cam is spinning while you are cranking the motor. You could have stripped off teeth from the timing belt near the crank, or the belt could be broken. Either way, they are non-interference motors so it is no big deal.

Welcome to the site.

ETA: IF the hep is sending out a signal and the cam turns, run a jumper wire from the + battery terminal to the + side of the coil. That will energize the fuel pump. If the pump doesn't run it is either bad, or there is a break in the connection to the pump which you will need to track down.
    Man, this is getting better by the minute! You might not believe this, but I've used the switch on, off deal before on my Minivans and it never crossed my mind. Now, I DID hot wire the fuel pump and it IS good. I just gotta find the problem of why there is no fire there when there should be. I'm getting a good feeling about this guys. Thanks.

BTW, Here is what was supposed to have been done to the Lil '85 Shelby Charger that I have:

(as posted on the ebay listing, that I bought it from)

Suspension:

1. KYB Struts & Strut Mounts in the front & rear
    2. New Shelby Front Springs
    3. Rear Disc Brakes from an 87' Shelby Daytona Z
    4. Mopar Performance Rear Sway Bar
    5. 87' Daytona Shelby Z wheels 15" x 6"
    6. Daytona Shelby Z Front Sway Bar 1 1/4"
    7. All New Bushings
    8. Rebuilt Rack and Pinion
    9. New Outer Tie Rod ends
    10. New Front Brake Calipers, Rotors & Hoses
    11. 205/50/15 Cooper Zeion Tires

Transmission:

1. A555 Trans From 87' Daytona Shelby Z
    2. Shifter & Cables From 87' Daytona Shelby Z
    3. Differential locker unit
    4. H.P. Axle Shafts from Forward Motion
    5. New Street Disc & Stronger Performance Pressure Plate
    6. New Trans Mounts
    7. New Findanza Aluminum Flywheel
    8. New Custom 6 Puc Clutch (with car, in a box)

Engine:

1. New Custom Intercooler from a 2003 Dodge SRT4
    2. New Engine Mounts
    3. New Ported 58mm Throttle Body
    4. New 475 Cam from Forward Motion
    5. New High RPM lifters
    6. 87' Daytona Shelby Z High Swirl Ported & Polished Head
    7. New Ported Exhaust Manifold
    8. Block has been "O-ringed"
    9. New Radiator
    10. Shelby T2 2 Piece Ported and PolishedIntake Manifold
    11. New Mopar Performance Stainless Steel 2mm Larger Intake & Exhaust
    Valves
    12. New Mopar Performance Springs & Titanium Retainers
    13. Powder Coated Valve Cover
    14. New Custom Forged Steel Rods
    15. New Custom Forged Steel Crankshaft
    16. New Custom Forged Aluminum Pistons
    17. New Oil Pump
    18. New Enforcer 2 Turbo From Forward Motion
    19. New Cold Air Hose & K & N Filter
    20. New Oil Catch Can
    21. New Oil & Coolant Lines At Turbo
    22. New ARP Head & Main Studs
    23. New ARP Rod Bolts
    24. New Evaporator
    25. New Heater Core
    26. New Fuel Rail
    27. New Fuel Injectors Mopar Performance P/N 4452804
    28. New Fuel Pressure Regulator
    29. New Inline Mopar Performance Super 60 300 LPH Fuel Pump
    30. New Shelby Stage 2 Computer
    31. New Water Pump
    32. New Hi Amp Alternator (Later model and it has been wired to a
    standard Mopar voltage regulator, instead of to the computer like the
    stock one was) "Nice Touch"
    33. New Findanza Underdrive Pulley from Forward Motion
    34. New Findanza Custom made Adjustable Cam Gear
    35. New Hardened Followers
    36. New Mopar Perfpormance Valve Keepers
    37. New Greddy Type S Blowoff Valve
    38. Power Steering Pump Is Factory Original, But Rebuilt with New Seals

Exhaust:

1. Ported 2.5" Exhaust O2 Housing
    2. New Custom 3" Down Pipe 32' Long To 2.5" over Axle Pipe Into new
    DynoMax Muffler with New Stainless Steel Tip

Extras:

1. New Audiometer Exhaust Temp Gauge
    2. New Audiometer 20lb Boost Gauge
    3. New Audiometer Tach
    4. New Audiometer Air/Fuel Gauge
    5. New Blitz Turbo Timer
    6. New Kenwood Stereo (June 2009)
    7. New 6 x 9 Speakers In the Rear (also June 2009)
    8. New Optima Battery (installed 1 Dec2009)
    9. Fire Extinguisher

It came out of Del Ray Beach, FL.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Welcome to the forum!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    Thank you and let me say that THAT is One BAD looking Daytona!

Sounds like you should be off to the races in no time. Post up with the results of the codes etc. Hopefully it isn't any crazy electrical problem.

Mitsu booster

Sounds like you should be off to the races in no time. Post up with the results of the codes etc. Hopefully it isn't any crazy electrical problem.
    It WAS pretty exciting to drive the thing, before I lost electrical power to the dist. & fuel pump. I'm thinking it just might be a fusible link. just have to determine where it is. And Pray that's all it is. Everything was fine and all of a sudden it shut off.

Can't wait to get it going again.

The fusible links are located next to the driver's side strut tower.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bill440cars View Post
    Thank you and let me say that THAT is One BAD looking Daytona!
    Thanks!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

I would lean towards swapping in a new HEP too, but I blew a fusible link in my NY one time and had the same problem. With the fusible links, check them with a DVOM. I visual inspection may not show a problem, at least my new yorker didn't.

BTW, sounds like you bought one hell of a car, have fun! But I will warn you... Boost and TM's are worse then crack! Before you know it you will be trying to figure out where to put your 5th one, and none of them will run... lol.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    I would lean towards swapping in a new HEP too, but I blew a fusible link in my NY one time and had the same problem. With the fusible links, check them with a DVOM. I visual inspection may not show a problem, at least my new yorker didn't.

BTW, sounds like you bought one hell of a car, have fun! But I will warn you... Boost and TM's are worse then crack! Before you know it you will be trying to figure out where to put your 5th one, and none of them will run... lol.
    Thanks, I hope to get this one squared away, so that I CAN enjoy it more and shake up some unsuspecting folks. Got a couple more Mopars and some bikes. Sitting on the drive way are also my '69 Plymouth GTX and '07 Charger R/T. that other 2 provide some excitement as well. But the Shelby IS an experience..

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor j4278h's Avatar

possible bad power module next to the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by j4278h View Post
    +1 If you're not getting power just about anywhere, I'd see about swapping that for another one. You'll need to get a spare one of those anyways, so I would look for one regardless.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Mitsu booster

The fusible links are located next to the driver's side strut tower.
    Oops sorry I didn't see this sooner, Thanks for that.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by j4278h View Post
    I'll have to check and see if there still is one of those. You see, the previous owner did some mods like getting a good sealed battery and installing it in the rear, under the hatch and over on the left rear side. I DO know that he took out the shutdown relay, as there is a connector and NO relay. What I DON'T understand is, with ALL of the mods he did to this car, WHY didn't he replace those fusible links with fuses? He seemed to be really up on this stuff and yet left the links. Soon as I get this figured out, I'm going the fuse route.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Welcome Bill, I don't have anything to add on your diagnosis that these guys haven't already. I used to live in Searcy in 1989 and raced my 87 GLHS at a few different area tracks. Pine bluff has a track, there was another one twards TN but I can't recall the name Sounds like you bought a great start on a project car, whoever you bought it from spent some coin on all those new bits

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    +1 If you're not getting power just about anywhere, I'd see about swapping that for another one. You'll need to get a spare one of those anyways, so I would look for one regardless.
    Only things that I KNOW that I'm not getting power to are the fuel pump and the distributor.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Welcome Bill, I don't have anything to add on your diagnosis that these guys haven't already. I used to live in Searcy in 1989 and raced my 87 GLHS at a few different area tracks. Pine bluff has a track, there was another one twards TN but I can't recall the name Sounds like you bought a great start on a project car, whoever you bought it from spent some coin on all those new bits
    Yeah, I've been to Searcy a few times and there used to ba a Lil GLHS Om ni around here a few years ago, that used to really shake up some of those BAD car (so they thought). There used to be one at Carlisle. That's east of Little Rock and on the way to Tenn. It's been gone for a spell now.

Yeah, there HAS been quite a bit done to this car, but there is still a fair amount to make it really nice. It looks pretty good though, as is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast