Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rich @ WOT

Hybrid booster

Rich @ WOT

1987 Shelby Z 2.5L running socketed LM with Brian's 3 bar cal on it. The car runs 10.0 on the wideband all the way to 5500rpm. I'm wondering if I should remedy this problem by lowering the fuel pressure, or by doing something with the cal. Thanks for the help as always!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Rich @ WOT

If you can tune your own cals and you have the fuel pressure set right, do it in the cal.

Which injectors?
    What base FP w/o vacuum?
    How much boost at WOT?

What else is done to the car for supporting mods?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

2.5l with forged Wisecos, and balanced rotating assembly running a T04B-S trim stage 3 compressor in a T3 housing, with a T3 stage 1 turbine in a .48 housing (I know, I know...) The head is a stock swirl head with a 2 piece intake manifold and stock exhaust manifold. Currently running the stock TII intercooler setup, and 18psi boost at WOT. I've got the fuel pressure set at 55psi idle, cam timing at 0, and ignition timing at 14deg BTDC. The plugs are Champion RN9YC gapped to .025. At cruise and idle, the car is steady between 14.5 and 15.0. I have the tools to adjust the cal, just not the know how yet. Thanks!

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by audiomaninc View Post
    ... I've got the fuel pressure set at 55psi idle, ...
    At idle with the vac line disconnected? or Connected? 55psi with the vac line connected is too much fuel pressure...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

is that my cal in the repository from ages ago?

if so, i really should update those.

brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    At idle with the vac line disconnected? or Connected? 55psi with the vac line connected is too much fuel pressure...
    vac disconnected

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    is that my cal in the repository from ages ago?

if so, i really should update those.

brian

It is! The car actually runs great on it, other than a bit rich at WOT.

yeah they ran great on my k car with the 2.5L as well.

are you running +40's? you could possibly have the ones that were a little larger.

id back the fuel pressure down a bit and see if it gets better. im sure it will. when you decide its time to learn what to change in the cal, then you can correct the rich condition that way and put the fuel pressure back to stock.

now if you do have the higher flowing +40's, those may have been rated at 52lb/hr at 43.5psi of fuel pressure.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I'd back off the fuel pressure too.

14 degree's base is too much, should be 12. Yes, 2 deg's makes a difference.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

ok, I'll back off the timing and the fuel pressure a touch. Then I'll look into learning how to change things in the cal! Thanks for the help everyone!

Hybrid booster

yeah they ran great on my k car with the 2.5L as well.

are you running +40's? you could possibly have the ones that were a little larger.

id back the fuel pressure down a bit and see if it gets better. im sure it will. when you decide its time to learn what to change in the cal, then you can correct the rich condition that way and put the fuel pressure back to stock.

now if you do have the higher flowing +40's, those may have been rated at 52lb/hr at 43.5psi of fuel pressure.

Brian
    Could I check by part number which +40's I have?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by audiomaninc View Post
    Could I check by part number which +40's I have?
    No, its an internal difference.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Alrighty, I'm at 12deg base timing. Also lowered the fuel pressure to 45psi @ idle with vac line disconnected. Car starts better at least! I'm still in the 10's on the wideband though, but more like 10.4-10.9 depending on RPM. I'm thinking about adjusting the "FUELFULLTHROTTLE" table in the cal to see what that does.

i wouldnt adjust that table. that the first mistake cal newbies (if thats what you are) do is head for that table.

if your car does indeed have 52lb injectors at 43.5psi, then the scaling should be pretty good and you took care of the potential injector difference issue.

id focus on the pumpingefficiency table at this point especially if there are some RPM variations to your fuel curve at WOT. lower your boost as much as possible and load the car hard against the brakes and dial in the fuel at every 500rpm increments at WOT. let the boost and EGT stabilize and then take a AFR reading.

actually, you should download MPTuner and do a fresh cal based on Turbonator-LM. Should provide you with a much more accurate calibration for a 2.5L.

Brian

Hybrid booster

i wouldnt adjust that table. that the first mistake cal newbies (if thats what you are) do is head for that table.

if your car does indeed have 52lb injectors at 43.5psi, then the scaling should be pretty good and you took care of the potential injector difference issue.

id focus on the pumpingefficiency table at this point especially if there are some RPM variations to your fuel curve at WOT. lower your boost as much as possible and load the car hard against the brakes and dial in the fuel at every 500rpm increments at WOT. let the boost and EGT stabilize and then take a AFR reading.

actually, you should download MPTuner and do a fresh cal based on Turbonator-LM. Should provide you with a much more accurate calibration for a 2.5L.

Brian
    I already have turbonator-lm...just haven't figured out how to work with the numbers so to speak on that yet to make adjustments. I believe it's in HEX maybe? Either way, I'll just run the car now as is until I have a good understanding of adjusting things in MPTuner, then make a cal with that.

Hybrid booster

specifically, I have the 2.5-LM cal loaded in MPTuner, and scaled for 52pph/3-Bar...now in editing, for example, the staging limiter, how do I correlate the number on the screen to RPM?

30,000,000/rpm and then convert it to hexadecimal for the value. as you drag the slider, the value you are looking to match with the one you calculated will be in the "bin data" window in the lower left of the screen.

the calculator in windows can easily convert from decimal (Dec) into hexidecimal (Hex). put the calc in scientific mode i think and do everything in dec and then click the hex dot thingy.

brian

Hybrid booster

My head hurts...I feel like Helen Keller

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

what are the letters for? I see A-D when I move the slider in the bin data box.

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

say I want to change the staging limiter to 5200RPM for the lower. I do 30,000,000/5200, and convert it to HEX, which is 1689. Right? Then I look for 1689, and it doesn't exist in the bin table. :-(

yup 1689 is correct. it does exist. you slide the slider till its close and use the arrow keys to dial it in precisely. heres a pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MPTunerRPM2.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	30867

A-D are because in the hexadecimal number system, you dont carry the 1 until you get to 16.

instead of 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 (ie decimal)

its 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F,10 (ie hexadecimal)

Brian

Hybrid booster

Ahhhhh I'm getting it! Now I suppose the dumb question I'll ask is why in the table description does it say "0x2300=3300RPM", I'm the idiot that wonders why 1689 is less than 2300, yet yields a greater RPM. Unless the 0x comes into play somehow.

the LM uses a reverse table deal. lower numbers = higher rev limit. has something to do with the fact that the LM cant divide.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast