Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: V-6 Buick Turbo

turbo addict

V-6 Buick Turbo

I have the chance to pick up (for cheap) a 73-83 V-6 buick turbo. I can not find the specs of this turbo any where. Anyone know the specs? I was thinking of up grading my stock garrett before sdac and if i could get away with just using one of these then i would. My TII is maxed out at 280fwhp. I need more air!

boostaholic

Re: V-6 Buick Turbo

I thought the wheel was the same size of a Super 70.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Keito View Post
    I thought the wheel was the same size of a Super 70.
    That's the Grand National turbo. The one he is talking about is from the earlier carbed turbo Regals and Monte Carlos. Could be the same, maybe not. Either way I wouldn't bother with it, more trouble than it's worth to adapt probably.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    That's the Grand National turbo. The one he is talking about is from the earlier carbed turbo Regals and Monte Carlos. Could be the same, maybe not. Either way I wouldn't bother with it, more trouble than it's worth to adapt probably.
    I agree...not worth it.

turbo addict

What is so hard with making it work? What has to be done?

turbo addict

From a GN owner:

First of all, there was not a turbo'd Buick v6 prior to '78 and they were all carb'd until '83. All stock GN turbo's have no provisions for a coolant passage and therefore would not be a good choice for a Chrysler based on the fact that they run in a 'next to the firewall' location(minimal airflow). The gains to be had with a true GN turbo is definitely there based on the size of the compressor wheel, but I would not use it in a stock Mopar configuration. In the long run, not worth it.

So, if you are doing it with a major alteration basis to your car, then it might be do-able, but you would be better off getting a different one from another application(different car/brand). If you wanted a later model(fuel inj) GN turbo with the larger wheel, the Buick boards have stockers for $100 or less needing rebuilt since most owners upgrade to a bigger size. A stock GN turbo is able to get a heavy car in the 11's in the quarter, so there is PLENTY of airflow possibilities there for a 4 cyl Chryco....
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Be better off buying a S70, which is a Chrysler turbo w/ the GN compressor wheel. Only issue with them is if you use the stock style thrust bearing w/ a stock turbine wheel, it will wear out in 2-3 years of daily use, due to the thrust pressure increases from the mis-match in turbine sizes. Using a 360* thrust bearing or a larger stage turbine wheel might help it last longer.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

turbo addict

Ok so let me see if i understand. The only real attraction is the compressor wheel. ok. So could i use a stock TII turbo with the compressor housing and wheel from the GN unit? The car its going on is NOT a daily driver and this would be a temporary solution for a before SDAC hp bump. Id like to run 11s at SDAC and i think i need just a bit more to do so.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I have modified an '87 Buick GN turbocharger to work for a TIII engine.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...l-turbocharger

Quote Originally Posted by forcedfedmopar View Post
    Ok so let me see if i understand. The only real attraction is the compressor wheel. ok. So could i use a stock TII turbo with the compressor housing and wheel from the GN unit? The car its going on is NOT a daily driver and this would be a temporary solution for a before SDAC hp bump. Id like to run 11s at SDAC and i think i need just a bit more to do so.
    Yeah, it should be balanced though.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

turbo addict

But, you're missing the fact that the swingvalve setup is different though. What car is this going on again?
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

I too run a Turbo Buick intercooled turbo. I do have a modified wastegate setup and it came with a standard bolt patterned turbine housing instead of the stupid 3-bolt setup the turbos have stock. It's fully spooled by 3800-4000, but I have a feeling my rings aren't seated fully and the engine isn't spooling the turbo as well as it could. I'll let you know when I get a different engine dropped in or get mine re-ringed.

I also have the compressor map for the intercooled turbo, but its on my laptop at home. I can post it after work.

The turbo came from a friend who ran a low 13 (13.1-13.2 maybe) with his 99 Grand Am.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 88_pacifica View Post
    But, you're missing the fact that the swingvalve setup is different though. What car is this going on again?
    The swing valve set up would be the same it is now if i can use the STOCK GARRETT off the car and use the GN compressor wheel and housing. Even if i had to make an exhaust that isnt that big of a deal. Im curious if i can make the 2 turbos into one which whill benifit my power needs. Its going on my 2.5 8V

turbo addict

The swing valve set up would be the same it is now if i can use the STOCK GARRETT off the car and use the GN compressor wheel and housing. Even if i had to make an exhaust that isnt that big of a deal. Im curious if i can make the 2 turbos into one which whill benifit my power needs. Its going on my 2.5 8V
    Yes, you can. It is imperative that you have the assembly balanced though because otherwise the weight of the comp wheel will be off and it will tear up the bearings in no time flat. Make sure that you use good bearings when you rebuild the turbo(I prefer using Ron's Turbo Service- www.ronsturboservice.com) because you KNOW that he uses quality American-made bearings. You can rebuild it yourself if you are fairly competent and have the assembly balanced by him(send him the wheels and shaft) and he makes sure it is all in spec before you run it on your car. I am not 100% certain tht the shafts are the same length, but you can measure it after disassembly and be sure.

I hope that helps...

turbo addict

Well then it sounds pretty easy to do. Ive rebuilt several turbos. Its easy. I have a diesel place intown that i go to that can do the ballancing for me. They have been helpful in the past. I think im going to give it a shot for the $50 i can get the turbo for. So for the 100 ill have into id have a knock off S70? sweet. Ill try to pick the turbo up tonight or tomorrow and see how everything is going to go together. Thanks for your help

turbo addict

Well then it sounds pretty easy to do. Ive rebuilt several turbos. Its easy. I have a diesel place intown that i go to that can do the ballancing for me. They have been helpful in the past. I think im going to give it a shot for the $50 i can get the turbo for. So for the 100 ill have into id have a knock off S70? sweet. Ill try to pick the turbo up tonight or tomorrow and see how everything is going to go together. Thanks for your help
    Good deal... Let us know how it works for you.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

youll need to use the GN housing, backplate and wheel iirc.

its better than a S70 cause its not crammed in the stock housing.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I was originally planning to run the one I had rebuilt with the Buick OEM turbine wheel. I sent it to TU, but Chris told me there was a difference in the offset or something about the wheel that made it not possible to modify a standard housing for the Buick turbine wheel. So instead, I had it rebuilt with a S1 turbine wheel, which the turbo dodge cars all came with stock. The Buick turbine wheel was just a hair larger than the S1 wheel; so it really wasn't even worth the hassle anyway. I also went ahead and upgraded to the water cooled center section from a turbo dodge car while it was rebuilt.

I wouldn't bother running this turbo unless you plan on running the compressor housing that it came with. The housing is quite large and you'll need the backplate to go with it of course since it's bigger than any T3 stuff. If I were you, I would have it rebuilt, but use the stock Chrysler turbine wheel/housing and center section. Should be a great turbo that fills the bill right between the T3 Super 60 and T04E 46-trim.

turbo addict

Thats the plan Jeremy. Basically use my stock 89 Garrett. Use the center section and the exhaust side from the 89 garrett. Then, use the compressor side of the GN turbo. I wont have the turbo til saturday but if all goes well, in 3 weeks ill tell you how it works! The car is at 280 FWHP right now. And i think ill need at least 300 for my goals. I think this turbo should fit the bill well if it all works out.

Yeah but is the earlier turbo the same as a GN turbo?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast