Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: 85 GLH-T build

Hybrid booster

Re: 85 GLH-T build

Update, finally jacked up car and got a look into problem. Good news, axle appears ok. Rt motor mount went, and intermediate carrier for axle came loose from engine mounting point.

Getting new mount, repacked boot with grease and new clamp. Need to work on exhaust hanger in back, hanging low.

greg

Hybrid booster

More findings, sway bar outer bolts had loosened up, and missing one nut. One motor mount nut was stripped as well. Did the hose and clamp mod for the tranny mount on shock. Everything nice and tight now, no vibration or clunking.

greg

Hybrid booster

Back to the track to see how she does, now that things are replaced and tighten up.
    Good news, car is hooking better, getting into the 1.8x 60 foot times. Bad news, lost boost, could only get 15-16#. Third gear shift still troublesome at times, really dropping boost in third. Ran mostly low 13's but only 100-103 mph.

Greg.

- - - Updated - - -

Problem solved, vent on g valve was plugged, back to 18-20# boost.

boostaholic

Did you go to 42?
    I want to get out maybe when it cools off, have to see if your available.

Hybrid booster

Yes usually at 42, their price went up to $20, but still get the most runs for the $. I'll be up a couple more times this year, want to do a couple more things to car. Maybe we can get both cars there at same time, that would be fun.

greg

Hybrid booster

Did some more testing, started out promising, 13.2 and then 13.1, then to mid 13's and unable to get more then 14-15# boost. Did some testing, hooked the air compressor up to my test pipe to check for intake, vacuum leaks. Found a broken plastic vacuum tee, and side n problem lower crank pulley was loose. Hopefully better time next track outing.

greg

Hybrid booster

Alright time to vent and gather some thoughts. Car is very inconsistent Last few time at track a pattern has started to develop, and I am fearing the worst case scenario. The car has run 12.7's a few times on less than 18# of boost plenty low 13's. boost has been inconsistent, and I could rarely get boost of 18#. While at the track I will bust out a good et high twelve or low 13's with 106 mph or better, then boost will reduce and ets go to mid to high 13's mph goes to 100-103 mph.

Things I have done to trouble shoot not getting max boost regularly:
    pressurized intake for leaks
    g valve adjusted all the way
    wastegate checked and tighten
    Ran on wastegate only (boosted to 22-23# car felt like it should) but now only getting 15# same setting. Rod is tight puck it physically verified closed in exhaust.
    New boost controller ball n spring voodoo brand. Again initially a few good boosted runs, now full adjustment low boost.
    Can hear turbo make sound when car is shut off, not a good sound to me
    Compressor side has some axial play, no in out
    Exhaust side no movement.
    no oil on either side.

Engine is healthy recent rebuild and just did compression check.
    turbo is turbonetics t3t4 50 trim stage II with low mileage.

getting ready to pull turbo to check it better.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

22-23#'s off a big can wastegate "unplugged" is way low. How much pre-tension do you have on it? (how far do you need to pull the arm out of the can to get it to go over the flapper arm?)

Is the 50 trim in a smaller housing? Have you ever measured your pre-intercooler preasure vs your manifold preasure? Does it always make the best run First, then get progressively worse?

You say the turbo has some side to side play. can you make the compressor wheel rub the housing?
    Last edited by Shadow; 08-25-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Hybrid booster

Thanks Shadow,
    I have threaded rod on wastegate it is 1/4 to3/8". Seemed tight to me, I usually apply air pressure to can when I installed it to get it over far enough.
    never measured pressure drop. Don't know about housing size. Looking back at time slips, it is usually right off the trailer is best runs then progressively worse. Compressor wheel doesn't seem to rub, but is hard to turn when moved on its axis.

Sounds like you have more than enough tension on the arm. Have you vacuum tested the W/G can to make sure it has no leaks in the diaphram?

What is the sound the turbo makes when car is off? (I'm assuming you mean just after you shut it off and it's still spinning)

When you ran it and only got 15lbs off the W/G alone, you had the W/G completely unplugged with W/G port open to atmosphere, correct?

When you say you pressure tested the intake for leaks; Did you test the whole intake tract from turbo outlet pipe to intake mani? how much PSI did you test to? BOV? If so what kind?
    Last edited by Shadow; 08-25-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Hybrid booster

Well I think I found the problem. The intercooler hose was ripped on the back side of turbo outlet.
    I tested the BOV held to 30+. Wastegate can was un plugged when tested. When I pressure tested the intake I was unable to test at the turbo outlet, that is the one connection because of the tight fit between the head, which I ground the corner for clearance and the starter for some reason. I think I need to reclock the turbo more. I decided to remove the head to look at the turbo and connection there, and found the problem. Turbo seems fine but I could hear like a mild hissing sound when shut off for a second.

thanks again Shadow for your help.

Greg.

No sweat, your second last post was sounding like it was most likely a blown/ ripped hose and Not a turbo problem. Glad you found it. You should be making a lot more power in the near future..............

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Hybrid booster

Car is now fixed, with the new intercooler pipe reconfigured. Not the best, two 90 elbows off of turbo, but works for now. Track outing went well, back in consistent twelves @ 108-110 mph. Biggest trouble now is shifting into third gear, unable to get it to go easily on a run, causing me to really drop boost rpm.
    best run of night.
    1.94. 60'
    8.27@85.53 1/8
    12.77@109.60 1/4

greg

Hybrid booster

Well last track trip for year. Got a best run yet for the GLH this year, been a fun season.
    12.65@ 111.49. Now onto the next level, rework intercooler piping, and possible some porting work and that pesky third gear granny shift needs addressed.

Greg

turbo addict

very nice improvements over this season! good job!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by forcedfedmopar View Post
    very nice improvements over this season! good job!
    Thanks, I would like to hit elevens, like you have with your GLH, eventually.

Hybrid booster

Well, time to revisit the GLH, since winter. With today's almost spring like weather, my interest turned to the car. Last drive before putting it up last it started to have a drivability problem. Tps was acting up. Check it out today, and for some reason it is getting almost 5v on the sensor output,the near 5v input, the ground is less than .02 also, all without the tps sensor plugged in. The year has just begun.

greg

Hybrid booster

It's been awhile, worked out my tps issue, fixed my windshield wiper bushing. Been driving it as often as I can lately, just enjoying car. Went to track once, ran a slow 13@107. Had boost/ vacuum leak I could hear easily, ended up being cap on TB nipple was gone. Found small oil leak that was driving me nuts, ended up being my oil catch can.

greg

Hybrid booster

Been awhile, replaced the rear shocks, were koni, one was still good the other needed rebuilt. Had some new Gabriel's I had on the shelf to put on. Smoother ride not as stiff as before.

Took it to the drag strip, first time this year, only change was the shocks. Clutch was not holding as well this time, if I slipped it a little that was it for that run. Car did bust out a new best.

1.82 60'
    7.92 @ 88.78 mph 1/8
    12.34 @ 110.88 mph 1/4

greg

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Nice plog! Great numbers and determination.
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast