Thread: milkshake question

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor Lee'sdaytona's Avatar

milkshake question

Greetings all!
    I know Milkshake in the engine is never a good sign. I replaced the head gasket on my turbo-caravan 2.5 about 3 years ago, and probably 30,000 miles ago. The van runs awesome More recently, while checking the oil, I noticed there was a slight indication of a milkshake mix on the dipstick--mostly clean oil, with some spots of coolant. Today, I started it up to leave school, and heard a more noticeable valve tap. I popped the hood, pulled the dipstick, and there was a bit more milkshake.
    Some things I noted:
    1. Not smoking
    2. No bubbles in the radiator
    3. Runs great
    4. Oil looked perfectly clean after running for about a minute
    5. Does not appear to be using coolant

So does anyone here think I have anything to worry about here? Perhaps a very slow leak in the HG? Would a compression test help?
    Thanks,
    Lee

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: milkshake question

if you use the car not long enough (short trip) ,condensation stays in the oil pan and with some time it can cause the milkshake your describing

turbo addict

You could do a leakdown test and look for bubbles, or you could pressurize the cooling system and look in the cylinders. Headgaskets can do some weird stuff.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Is the oil actually milkshake or just the top part of the dipstick? Take off the oil cap and look inside the engine, if there is milkshake on the valvetrain, then you have a cracked block/head or a head gasket issue, if ok, then your simply not driving it enough when its cold outside and its not burning off the gunk.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Simon,
    I did in fact check the valve cover cap. It looks totally clean. Must just be a lot of moisture getting into the oil pan. It did sit all weekend, but I do have a 20 minute drive on the highway each way to work every day. Guess maybe that simply isn't enough. Thanks gentleman for the replies.

Hybrid booster

^ I would still keep a close eye on your coolant gauge for over heating & the level in the radiator and oil for your milkshake anything over the next few weeks. I had a really really slow head gasket leak that didn't steam out the tail pipe or cause a running issue but did slowly drink my coolant. Drove about 400 miles and would only use about quart or less but still isn't good for the car.

If I were you I'd go take your car on a good 1hr run and beat on it a little just to make sure everything is getting mixed up in you crankcase properly...otherwise i'd say you still have blown head gasket and should get the head resurfaced, use ARP head studs, and a Cometic head gasket ! pretty much a guarantee not to leak ever again

Quote Originally Posted by 86trbolancer View Post
    ^ I would still keep a close eye on your coolant gauge for over heating & the level in the radiator and oil for your milkshake anything over the next few weeks. I had a really really slow head gasket leak that didn't steam out the tail pipe or cause a running issue but did slowly drink my coolant. Drove about 400 miles and would only use about quart or less but still isn't good for the car.

If I were you I'd go take your car on a good 1hr run and beat on it a little just to make sure everything is getting mixed up in you crankcase properly...otherwise i'd say you still have blown head gasket and should get the head resurfaced, use ARP head studs, and a Cometic head gasket ! pretty much a guarantee not to leak ever again
    Yeah, but then the head is the weakest link and it cracks or warps....no? I do have head studs in there. Mopar Performance HG

Hybrid booster

I think its just condensation. 20mins is not a long drive, and its still cool enough that its probably just not burning off in time. I bet it goes away in a month or two.

I run my dakota (2003 4.7L) 37miles one way to work, about 45 mins. And on the weekends drive back to my hometown 70miles, about 1:20 mins and still in the dead of winter the oil filler cap will have that frothy milkshake all in it.

Very interesting I am planning on running my van up to MA to visit family at the end of this month, and I think it will have no problem making the trip. I'm even going to the junkyard this weekend, and going to try to pull an A/C system (because I gutted mine out a few years back) and then have it converted to R134a. Traveling with my parents (mom is sensitive to heat) and my grandfather who is in his mid 80s. So, what the hell, it gives me an excuse to have a working A/C