Thread: Tranny problem

Garrett booster

Tranny problem

Hey guys going to work this morning and my car would not disengage from 4th gear which made it fun coming up to a stop light in rush hour traffic. The clutch pedal is really springy and you can't get it in gear anymore. So naturally i got it towed home and need some pointers before i rip the damn thing apart?

What usually causes this? Could it be the the throw out bearing? It was making more then the usual amount of noise today before it went out.

Thanx let me know so i can go out there with a hammer and fix it good!

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Re: Tranny problem

Which trans do you have? I would check the linkages/cables. But sounds like it might be more indepth of an issue then just the cables.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Garrett booster

a555

I hope not the gears were not grinding. But it did not like being taken out of 4th gear while rolling. i guess the clutch was not disengaging all the way.

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hemidare
    Hey guys going to work this morning and my car would not disengage from 4th gear which made it fun coming up to a stop light in rush hour traffic. The clutch pedal is really springy and you can't get it in gear anymore. So naturally i got it towed home and need some pointers before i rip the damn thing apart?

What usually causes this? Could it be the the throw out bearing? It was making more then the usual amount of noise today before it went out.

Thanx let me know so i can go out there with a hammer and fix it good!
    What fluid were you using, and also check the plug and tell us how low it is on fluid.

Frank
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

Garrett booster

Tranny fluid came running out. when i undone the plug that is what i thought as well.

I am running 5w30.

I hope it is only the throw out bearing.

Mitsu booster

I would check the clutch cable first, may have broke through the casing and not allowing the PP enough throw to release. With engine off, will it go into any gear? How old is the clutch/PP?

Mark

Garrett booster

I will check that right now i think it will. Clutch is not that old about a year old and Simon did it so it was done right.

Garrett booster

It goes into all gears really nicely. No problems there and no noise. So i think it might be the throw out bearing. It wasn't like it was just broke. It was hard to shift last night and it just got harder and harder to shift gears and i could feel it dragging just slightly at lights.

I had that problem twice.. Both had T3 pressure plates.. They use little metal "straps" to hold the friction surface.. Anyways, one one they broke completely (I over-revved the ---- outta the thing, no surprise really) on the other, one was bent and made the car just about unshiftable.. For no apparent reason..

Garrett booster

Yeah the clutch assembly came apart and that was what the problem was. When i took the pressure plate off it all just fell out with springs and everything. So i took a spare clutch i had laying around and put it all back together i have the axles back in and should have it done later on this morning.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I guessed right, good for me, bad for him,

Yep, his driven disc came apart, I have never seen that kind of carnage, the center hub came apart completely, and he doesn't even beat on it, which is sad.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Now get that beast over here so we can plumb that intercooler!

Garrett booster

lol i will when i get the chance Will.

Can't wait.

Garrett booster

i remember i had something like that happen to my car. recently i changed my car from auto to stick and the clutch i had was a brute force series in less than 4months that clutch blew to pieaces like know other, but before than it was getting hard to shift, and clutch was grabby when pedal was press'd so i brought it to my local tranny shop and they said it could either be a bad clutch or clutch cable so ok than.....so driveing it home from the place and i was about a block away from my house when i rev it to 5grand and shift to 4th all you heard was BOOOMM!!!! thank god i was going down hill and i made it home so later on that day i was excited to take it apart and look at what happened and found my clutch in 2 and i was a lil proud of my car LMAO just joking so than i went with a mcloed clutch and never could complain clutch gives me 110% back

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor jre97's Avatar

Mine did that and I tried to get it home and clear ripped the center out of the clutch disc. All of the little sheet metal pieces were torn from the friction material.

Hybrid booster

Clutch is not that old about a year old and Simon did it so it was done right

i need SIMON in michigan