Thread: 2.4L / A568 combo with SRT-4 Clutch - KC article feeder info

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

2.4L / A568 combo with SRT-4 Clutch - KC article feeder info

Many have asked what I needed to do to put the SRT-4 clutch beweeen the 2.4L and A568 in the Z so I thought I'd just make a thread to discuss it and maybe turn it into a KC article.

Components:
    1997 2.4L engine
    91 A568 (17T big spline)
    ACT flywheel/plate/disk

The Good:
    2.4L and 2.2L/2.5L have the same 8-bolt crank bolt pattern
    SRT-4 T850 trans has the same 17T big spline input shaft as '91+ A568

The Issues/Work-Arounds:
    SRT-4 uses a modular clutch from the factory so you need a clutch kit with a flywheel
    ---Very important, in higher HP cars the modular clutches have been known to break

SRT-4 uses a hydraulic clutch, A568 is a cable clutch trans
    ---used the A568 TO bearing. Kind of noisy but seems OK

Different crank protrusion distance from block/2.4L uses a block spacer with the trans
    ---used the 2.4L spacer with some custom mods - rbryant sells conversion spacers I will upgrade to

SRT-4 Aftermarket clutches are larger and p-plate clearance to the bell housing is an issue
    ---See attached pic of bottom side of timing mark tab and crank sensor port needs to be clearanced to fit.

Since the SRT-4 clutch was designed for the 2.4L motor there is really not too much needed to make it work. I will have it out soon and will will inspect it but pretty sure it is fine.

I know Rob (Shadow) has also done this but on a 2.2L. I took dimensions of stuff to do that as well and am planning to on another car sometime. Maybe comined we have enough info/pics for a KC article... if anyone else has anything to add, post it up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4366.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	30539  

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Re: 2.4L / A568 combo with SRT-4 Clutch - KC article feeder info

What does it take to run the srt4 flywheel and aftermarket clutch with the 2.2/2.5 and A523/568? You get a larger diameter clutch with this setup right?

turbo addict

Can you use a "stock" clutch/flywheel/t.o. on the 2.4 swap. I was under the impression that everything from our older set ups would work when swapping in a 2.4

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    What does it take to run the srt4 flywheel and aftermarket clutch with the 2.2/2.5 and A523/568? You get a larger diameter clutch with this setup right?
    Only a couple more little things... working with Shadow (rob) on getting his pics/notes

Quote Originally Posted by forcedfedmopar View Post
    Can you use a "stock" clutch/flywheel/t.o. on the 2.4 swap. I was under the impression that everything from our older set ups would work when swapping in a 2.4
    Yes you can with a couple things to look at due to different flywheel offset... This is helped by using the block spacer plate, but may not be enough... those things to check: TO bearing snout length may need to be decreased so it doesnt hit the disk... clutch lever/TO bearing travel may have to be reduced.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.