Thread: celica swap wiring woes ...

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

celica swap wiring woes ...

my friend attemted a 92 celica swap , swaped in a a 3sgte st185 from japan , that thing is making me sick , wiring diagrames for those cars are pretty bad , now we have a speed sensor problem ... i cant find if the sensor polatity , the way my friend hook it up i got positive power , anyone knows or know someone who does , we need help ... the problem is : got the neutral rev limiter when driving

turbo addict

Re: celica swap wiring woes ...

If its a reed switch like our stock setup then polarity shouldnt matter, just an on off switch. Its 2 wire right? a VR sensor wouldnt have 12 volts going to it and if it was hall effect it would be 3 wire.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

its a 3 wire speed sensor tho , by polarity i mean the power to sensor right now its positive and the 2 other wire have signal , one pretty sure is for computer and the other one cluster ? the car has a mechanical speedo and teh st185 is electrical

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

i think the sensor feed is wrong , not sure but i think it is , right now its hooked on the computer and still trow the speed sensor code , after reset the code come back

Might want to check out alltrac.net they have a good site from what I have seen.

Paul B

turbo addict

If its 3 then its a good chance that its a hall effect. You dont need 2 taps off the sensor for the computer and cluster. One should be a ground, one will be B+ feed and the other will be signal to the cluster/ECM.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

ok thanks , i still got power from the two wires

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

You probably have one with reference (5v?), one that goes to ground, and one that is the "sensor return"/signal to the computer. Check with a multimeter, you should see +volts on one (5v, from the computer), one that shows continuity to ground, and one that shows "open" when the key is off. This last one will show some voltage when the key is on, especially when the car is moving as the signal/voltage will vary with speed, thus telling the computer how fast you are going...

This assumes a few things, but should get you somewhat on track...

Hope it helps!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

i have 12v on the signal side and more when driving , something is wrong im sure ,maybe the feed doest come from the good pin on the computer ... not sure , seriously those 3sgte wiring diagram are far the worst ive ever seen . i showed my shelby wiring diagram to the guy and he was amazed lol

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Looks like a job for.... FSM!!

I can't believe that 12v should be there, maybe, but it goes against conventional wisdom...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke