Thread: L body Fuel pump wiring

turbo addict

L body Fuel pump wiring

what wires under the hood or at the LM are for the FP?
    my car had a ton of wiring problems when i first got it,
    it seems i got everything fixed but i have no idea why my fuel pump wont turn on..
    i ran it off a battery and it works and will run the car that way......
    so im assuming i screwed something up when i was removing everything, i think it must have been something the 5th injector was wired into but there was so much wiring i cant even tell what was actually for that
    its an 85 Shelby charger converted to MP S car computer

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: L body Fuel pump wiring

its powered through the fuse panel.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

You're looking for the Z1 circuit. It's going to be a 14ga (I think) dark green with a black tracer. It's a keyed hot circuit that goes through the fuse block under the dash. Now, if I read the diagrams in my FSM right, from there it goes under the hood, splices off to the Power Module, ignition coil, injectors, and fuel pump. One splice is just past the bulkhead connector so it can run both to the PM and to the passenger side. The other main splice is on the passenger strut tower where it splits off to the coil, injector harness, and to the fuel pump(s). The return (ground) circuit for all the above is a black 16ga with a yellow tracer that terminates back at the Power Module. They are both on the same plug of the PM; they're on opposite corners of the bigger one.

Now my car and FSMs are for '86. I'm pretty sure these wires are the same, but you may want to double check.

Garrett booster

Also check the brand of the fuse in the block. I just had an issue where a cheap fuse (with thin blades) was making loose contact with the terminals in the fuse block. It actually heated and melted the plastic on the fuse without popping the connection. The result was a sad sounding or usually dead fuel pump. After I replaced that crap fuse with a quality Buss fuse... it runs great.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    You're looking for the Z1 circuit. It's going to be a 14ga (I think) dark green with a black tracer. It's a keyed hot circuit that goes through the fuse block under the dash. Now, if I read the diagrams in my FSM right, from there it goes under the hood, splices off to the Power Module, ignition coil, injectors, and fuel pump. One splice is just past the bulkhead connector so it can run both to the PM and to the passenger side. The other main splice is on the passenger strut tower where it splits off to the coil, injector harness, and to the fuel pump(s). The return (ground) circuit for all the above is a black 16ga with a yellow tracer that terminates back at the Power Module. They are both on the same plug of the PM; they're on opposite corners of the bigger one.

Now my car and FSMs are for '86. I'm pretty sure these wires are the same, but you may want to double check.
    Should be accurate on the wire color under hood, the wire to the pump runs inside the car and through the floor underneath the back seat and is a different color inside the car.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

dark green wire runs inside the vehicle too. i thought it had a red stripe tho, not a black one....its been a little while.
    theres only 3 wires running back there. im pretty sure you should already have 2 of them for the fuel level float??

turbo addict

sweet thanks guys!
    i wont have time to work on it till Saturday but ill post up then when i do

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    dark green wire runs inside the vehicle too. i thought it had a red stripe tho, not a black one....its been a little while.
    I think the green with red stripe is for the horn circuit if I remember right.