Thread: Strut questions

Mitsu booster

Strut questions

Hello, I am new and glad to be here. I have a '90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 5-speed. I have a question regarding the suspension. I recently replaced the worn rear shocks with KYB gas adjusts and happy with. Now its time to do the struts. Of course Konis would be the way to go but can't find them being they are discontinued. I was thinking about the Gabriel Ultra from autozone. No one seems to sell Bilstein. But on rock auto they listed a strut from AC Delco, does anyone have experience with these? On the same site I looked up struts from a 91 Spirit R/T and listed a raybestos fully loaded strut. I thought I read they interchange with my car. But has anyone used raybestos before? I want something thats stiffer than stock and maybe down the road get a spring kit. I feel the car sits a little high and would like it to be lower. I have read numerous times the GR-2 struts can't handle the eibachs. Whats an alternative strut thats stiffer than GR-2 but enough to take the aggresive spring of eibachs? Are the Gabriel Ultras a good compromise?

Any helpful info is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Strut questions

First off, welcome to the site. You should check out the Shelby Dodge Automobile Club. The Ohio Valley Chapter is very active and a great group of guys. You can scroll down to find their info at this link. http://sdac.org/info/chapters.htm#ovc

As for your question regarding struts, I don't think there is a whole lot of performance difference between what is out there right now. You could get a set of the Koni inserts if you wanted. There are some guys on here who have modified other stuff to work in our cars, but it is not a direct replacement either.

Mitsu booster

I may have to look into the automobile club. However I do not have a shelby car, wish I did though. Still sounds interesting.

Where do I go to get the Koni inserts? I didn't see them on FWD performance. What exactly do they consist of?

thanks

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 19daytona90 View Post
    I may have to look into the automobile club. However I do not have a shelby car, wish I did though. Still sounds interesting.

Where do I go to get the Koni inserts? I didn't see them on FWD performance. What exactly do they consist of?

thanks
    You do NOT need a numbered Shelby car to be a member. The club is open to anyone who is interested in Shelby and Shelby inspired Chrysler vehicles. I would go so far as to suggest that most of us don't have a numbered car?

here is a link to the instructions for the inserts.

http://www.koni-na.com/pdf/boltstrut.pdf

You'll probably need to take some measurements and see what will work for you I would call FWD and see what they can do for you on that front.

Hybrid booster

I'm curious about the inserts too, I put a thread in the FWD section. Hopefully get an answer there as I am sure we are not the only ones interested in these.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Cindy @ FWD has done inserts before for special jobs, i just dont think she lists anything like that on the site. You can get double adjustable koni inserts that will fit our stock housings iirc, but they are not listed as being for this app.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...268-After-Koni

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Mitsu booster

I think I'm just going to go with the ultras being there cheap and easy to find. Only problem is they dont sell them fully loaded so I should proably get some new springs. Sounds like any performance spring would be too much for these struts. Anyone have a preferance over Moog, or Raybestos coil springs. Rock auto sells them. I just want to know whats a good brand of springs.

thanks

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Moog is good stuff.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD