Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 1987 Shelby CSX #115 Restoration and Build Thread

Garrett booster

Re: 1987 Shelby CSX #115 Restoration and Build Thread

Quick question: I'm about to order a tank. Are all the P-Body tanks interchangeable? I've noticed that the '87 and '88 have different part numbers. The '87 says "without in-tank tube" while the '88 has the internal tube. Does it really matter? The one for the '88 with the tube is $40 cheaper.

turbo addict

If you can;t get the o-rings from Joe, I think one of the aftermarket tank manufacturers actually has a kit with them in it. I'm 99.9% sure you can still get them at the dealer simply because they used the same ones for SO long! At least until '95, probably even later than that.

I know for 100% you can still get the filler tube one from the dealer. It's something like $25. Expensive, but well worth it. I have to get one for my '88 Z now. I'm not sure if there's an aftermarket for that one or not. I think I tried and that's why I ended up with going to the dealer. They had a whole bag of them under the parts counter!! LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFleet View Post
    Quick question: I'm about to order a tank. Are all the P-Body tanks interchangeable? I've noticed that the '87 and '88 have different part numbers. The '87 says "without in-tank tube" while the '88 has the internal tube. Does it really matter? The one for the '88 with the tube is $40 cheaper.
    I'm not sure I understand what tube they are talking about...

Garrett booster

Yeah, I'll need those o-rings! Joe, shoot me a PM and we can figure something out. I should be around tomorrow at some point.

And I have no idea on that internal tube either, that's why I'm asking. I do know that the fuel sending unit had a rubber hose going to the internal baffle, I wonder if that's what they are talking about... I have no clue.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

found a bunch of parts you need pm sent.
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Garrett booster

Update:

I bought a gas tank.

I got a Dorman one and it looks pretty nice. It has the internal baffle like my stock tank too.

Turbo Joe and I made a trade for some parts in order to keep everything Challenge-budget friendly.

In exchange for a 1989-90 turbo P-body hood, I got a complete fuel pump assembly with a Holley 225gph pump, a complete set of Mopar Performance front strut assemblies, And some Fat Mat sound deadener. He probably got the better end of the deal, but I needed that stuff badly, especially the pump. The one I pulled out of my tank looked like an artifact from the Titanic shipwreck.

I also tried my hand at welding a small patch myself with flux core:

I need to clean it up a bit better, but I'm happy that I started trying to weld myself. I like it, and I'd like to get my own setup someday (I'm borrowing a friend's right now).

Speaking of that friend, he came over this weekend and helped weld in the rest of the passenger floor:

I still have to clean up the welds, but the passenger compartment is now all steel (and flux core) again. No more rust up there! We also started getting the replacement rockers fitted and mocked up for installation.

I have another problem: The spare tire well.

I was poking around back there and found more rust than I remember, including some under the bracket the spare tire bolts to. I'm going to try to find another car locally that has a rust free spare tire well and cut the whole thing out. Does anyone know if other Chryslers of that vintage (like the Daytona, LeBaron, Lancer, Spirit, etc) share the same spare tire well as the P-Body, just in case I can't find another Shadow locally?

You mean a 225 LPH pump not gallons..lol.. wow that would be huge.. but anyway did you get yours up and running? I'm close to getting mine running again, finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
    You mean a 225 LPH pump not gallons..lol.. wow that would be huge.. but anyway did you get yours up and running? I'm close to getting mine running again, finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Yes, that's what I meant! LOL

No, I didn't get it running yet. I want to get the tank painted up before I put it all back together. We got side tracked with welding too.

I also confirmed that I do have the +20 injectors on the car, not +40's. With the adjustable fuel pressure regulator, it should work nicely.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Subscribed! Nice car and keep up the good work bringing her back!

Garrett booster

Quick question:

I'm looking to go with a front mount intercooler on the CSX. I found a cheap one for sale that's in great shape, and the size is 28" x 7.5" x 2.5" with 2.5'' inlet/outlets (I think). Is that going to be too small, or will it work? I can't run my stock one because of the radiator that's in the car.

Also if anyone has something bigger for sale on here that's around $50 shipped, shoot me a PM.

Garrett booster

Last weekend, I shot the fuel tank with some Bondo undercoating. I only did one coat so far, but it looks good.

I also went out last weekend to just about every local junkyard looking for a spare tire well for the CSX, but found only one Shadow and it was completely thrashed. The spare tire well was rotted and crushed. I really don't know what I'm going to do about fixing mine. I wish I could just cut it out and keep the spare in the hatch when I drive it, but from what I'm told, that creates airflow issues when you are going real fast down a track or traveling at highway speeds. I may have to resort to fixing it with fiberglass for now.
    Also, another thing I have turned my attention to is looking for some new seats. While at the junkyards, I looked for seats and found nothing even remotely salvageable. Then, today, I remembered that I should probably check out my old Subaru stomping ground over on NASIOC to see if anyone is selling some WRX or 2.5 RS seats. Low and behold, I find a set of 2003 WRX seats in decent shape for $60! Not bad, right? It gets better.

My wife calls me on the way home from work tonight to talk to me like she usually does. Then, mid-sentence, she stops and tells me that there is a random set of seats on the side of the road. They where sitting in front of a house that I know well, because in the driveway, there is a beautiful late 90's World Rally Blue Subaru 2.5 RS as well as a late 90's red Volvo V70R, and I want both cars BAD. She stopped and snapped a few blurry pics (it was raining) and I told her to just snag them.

She came home with them and they have turned out to be mid 1990's Subaru Impreza 2-door seats.

As you can see, the driver's seat has some tears in the vinyl, but my wife wants to try and patch them up. The dilemma now is if I should also get the WRX seats too. I like these Impreza seats because they fit me nice and they are very close to the color of the rest of the interior.

Special Thanks to my wife. She is awesome.

Garrett booster

Quick update:

In addition to the seats pictured above, I did also pick up a set of 2003 WRX seats. They have bigger bolsters and are black and blue, which I can deal with. They are in perfect condition.

The biggest issue I'm going to have is getting them installed in the car. Does anyone have any tips to share for mounting a pair of junkyard seats in a P-Body? It's not as easy as just bolting the old sliders onto the new seats.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFleet View Post
    Quick update:

In addition to the seats pictured above, I did also pick up a set of 2003 WRX seats. They have bigger bolsters and are black and blue, which I can deal with. They are in perfect condition.

The biggest issue I'm going to have is getting them installed in the car. Does anyone have any tips to share for mounting a pair of junkyard seats in a P-Body? It's not as easy as just bolting the old sliders onto the new seats.
    I made an adapter out of 3" wide steel plates, bolted the rails to that and then to the seats.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...l=1#post910687

May not be that simple, really depends on where the seats and rails will bolt to the adapter.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Garrett booster

Quick update:

I just picked up everything I need, save for some high pressure fuel hose, to get the tank in and get the car up and running again! Also, at the suggestion of someone on the GRM Forum, I may have a solution for my spare tire well issues.

Someone suggested to take the spare tire carrier off of a Caravan or a PT Cruiser and cut my spare tire well out and replace it with flat steel. I thought someone mentioned to me a while ago that you cannot do this on the P-Body because it will mess up the under-car aerodynamics, but I don't see how. I'd also probably shed a few pounds in the process. Any thoughts?

Side note: I was watching the first episode of Breaking Bad (Season 5) and they were in an Arizona junkyard. The big magnet crane picked up a rust free late P-Body Duster 2 door to throw in the crusher. I couldn't help but yell at the screen about how they are crushing my parts car!!!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I too have read that taking out the spare tire well makes for a lot of drag under the car. I wouldn't do it anyways as it is some actual work for a minimal return on weight savings. I look at it as all down side.

Garrett booster

The past few months have been really busy for me, and I have had pretty much zero time to work on the CSX. The car has sat, and it's taking up space in the garage that I need for other projects.

I have decided that I'm giving myself an ultimatum: if the car is not running and driving by December 2014, it will be leaving.

The short list right now is:
    -bend up and install fuel lines
    -install fuel tank
    -hear it run, if it sounds good, then pull the drivetrain for clutch replacement/engine bay cleanup, if not, re-assess situation
    -finish installing outer rockers/fix trunk rust/seam seal + paint floor

And before you all ask if I'm selling, if it leaves, it's already spoken for. Stay tuned...

hang in there bud.. I've been very busy myself with real life things and haven't touched my car in a while but keep the faith ! we're going cruising this summer !!
    Turbo Joe

Garrett booster

So... I haven't turned a wrench on this car since last summer. My POS Dodge Dakota has sucked every second of spare wrenching time up, so this has sat. Also, it has been such a brutal winter up here that I have had zero motivation to even try to work on it. But since the weather is warming up, I want to get going with the CSX. I'm still sticking to my goal of a running and driving car by the end of the year.

The first thing that I want to do is hear it run.

To do that, I need to install the fuel tank and patch up the fuel system. Advance Auto Parts sells the correct high pressure EFI rubber fuel line, so I need to get some of that and a few rolls of steel tube and patch up my fuel system.

Anyone know what diameter the various fuel lines are? I honestly have no clue.

5/16" feed, 1/4" return.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    5/16" feed, 1/4" return.
    Thanks Pat for the quick answer! Maybe I can pick up some line this weekend.

Garrett booster

I haven't updated this thread in a while. Wow.

I've had a busy year. All my car project energy has been going into other things, and we spent a lot of time this year prepping our new AMC Spirit GRM Challenge car, so my CSX has been put to the wayside. A few weeks back after I returned from the Challenge, I kept that momentum going and began hammering out some stuff on the CSX. In essentially three Saturdays, I have done the following:

-Cleaned and painted the passenger side floorpan, still have to do the driver's side and complete seam sealing it

-Installed the fuel tank and filler neck

-Replaced the fuel feed line going to the tank and inline filter, but I need to re-do the vent and the return

-Re-did the battery terminals

You know where this is heading. I have been trying to get the car running to hear whether the engine is any good, as it would determine the direction of the project. If it sounded ok, I'd button it all up and get it road worthy ASAP. If it was bad, I would pull the drivetrain and put the car outside while I focused on my other project car (1979 Trans Am). After doing all that, I attempted to start it. It wouldn't. It kept burping but that's it. We confirmed fuel, air, and spark were happening, so it had to be bad timing.

Now keep in mind, other than pulling the camshaft and gear to clean the cam lobes up from some mild rust, the engine has not been touched by me. When I pulled the cam and cam gear, I made absolutely sure to install it EXACTLY as it came off. I then looked at setting timing at TDC. It was off by a few teeth on the cam gear. After changing that, I tried again.

Here's the result: http://youtu.be/B0lfSK6UnUw

So yeah, it runs!!! We were trying to run it on carb cleaner because we didn't know if fuel was getting to the rail, but it turns out that it was. There was some air in the system, but it bled off after it fired up. It didn't knock or anything, and sounded healthy. I ran it the next day, and it fired up immediately, attempted to idle, and even took throttle input. I feel A LOT better about the project now. My new goal is to have it registered and driving by the spring. Talk about back from the dead!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456