Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1987 Shelby CSX #115 Restoration and Build Thread

Garrett booster

1987 Shelby CSX #115 Restoration and Build Thread

Hey everyone,

I figured it was about time to start a build thread to chronicle the work I'm doing to my 1987 Shelby CSX.

The car is CSX #115, sold at Norwood Dodge (now Central Dodge) in Norwood, MA. It made its rounds around New England, and eventually I ended up buying it as a rusty, abandoned project car with lots of extra parts for $100. Along the way, it received a host of speed parts, including some sort of upgraded turbo, a CSX/Lancer Mopar Stage II ECU, 42lb/hr injectors, and some other odds and ends like intake and throttle body port work. It also had a paint job at some point, making it all black and adding some cheesy lettering instead of the cool stock graphics.

Also, along the way, it received some other "mods" that were not so great, like the 25 pounds of redundant stereo wiring I pulled out of the car, the cold air intake made of dryer ducting that went right behind the lower front bumper hole that probably just sucked up water, and (my personal favorite) replacing the stock radiator with one that was too wide, and bolting the intercooler directly to the inside of the radiator. You guys know how turbos LOVE hot air, right?

Here are a few pics from right after I picked it up. Yes, I have the 4th wheel, it was in the trunk.

Arrrgh... hate those graphics! They are clear coated on too, so I can't peel them off.

See the passenger's seat and how it's not bolted on? I'll show you guys why in a little while...

This is an engine bay shot from the former owner. He kept the blow off valve, but I have another cheapo one from another project that will work. Check out that intercooler and where its bolted!

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

Part 2:

Those pics above were mostly taken at my buddy's house last July. I had to store it there because I was in the process of buying a house, and I had nowhere to put it. After finally closing on my place after a 6-month short sale process...

There it sits in my garage.

Oh, and anyone still ogling over how the hell I got this thing for $100... one word: RUST. There's definitely a good amount of rust on this thing.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: 1987 Shelby CSX #115 Restoration and Build Thread

Really glad to see you starting a log on this one. First in.

Garrett booster

The rust on this car is located in a few spots. Most of it is in the front floors. The passenger side outer rocker is gone, and the spare tire well has a nice chunk missing. Let's start with those floors:

Here's the passenger side.

You think that's bad? Look at the driver's side floor!!!

Luckily, the frame rails are still somehow solid. I started cutting that rust out a few days ago. It was my first time ever doing any sort of rust repair on my own. I usually have a friend do it, but I figured that this car would be good to learn on. I had a friend come over and guide me through using an angle grinder, and it's now my favorite tool ever.

Here's a pic of the driver's side after poking it with a screw driver for a while. Is that panel to the left of the frame rail original? It looks like a botched patch to me.

Here's how high up it goes. Scary.

After cutting:

I didn't mess with the section by the toeboards because it looks like a tough spot to fabricate. I'm going to grind that area down a bit to bare metal instead of cutting it.

Here's a nice spot behind the middle crossmember on the driver's side:

Love that it's a new access point to that compression fitting there.

Here's the passenger side after some cutting:

...and the whole floor overall:

Here's the spare tire well..

I was thinking of actually cutting the whole spare tire well out and making an aluminum plate to go over the hole. It would save weight, but is that a bad idea?

I've heard some guys say that the spare tire well helps to keep air out from underneath that part of the car and that removing it without some sort of a ramp if you will, can hinder you.

I don't know how true that is though. In all honesty, I would keep it in there just because the P body tire wells usually rot out all the way. I don't know how my spare stays in there.

Garrett booster

I forgot to mention something earlier. I *might* be entering this car in a future Grassroots Motorsports $20xx Challenge. My friends and I have been there the past few years under the name Team External Combustion. Some of you here (like Pat, Vigo, and a few others) should recognize my screen name from posting on the GRM boards. In the past, we have been responsible for these:

1987 BMW 325is

1991 Turbo Miata running Megasquirt

And the infamous Auto-X Cherokee that we turboed overnight in the hotel parking lot

If this car makes it, it's going to probably be in 2012. I'm getting married on the Challenge weekend this year, so most of the team will be at the wedding. If I bring it, I'm shooting for the "Under $1000" class win. Everything that gets done to the car will be done in compliance to be within that budget. It works out because I'm not made of money anyway.

I remember that Cherokee. Awesome work. I really hope to hear reports of another TM at the event.

Garrett booster

Some more pics...

I tried to make some sense out of the engine bay over the weekend. I removed the crappy intake tube and most of the intercooler and turbo tubes to clean up the engine bay. It was filled with pine needles, leaves, and acorns. I also moved the coil back to where it's supposed to be. Looks a little better now.

This isn't an original coolant overflow bottle, is it? Also, can I get a timing belt cover off of any 2.2-2.5L, even a non-turbo car?

Another shot of that spare tire well and the hole.. the rest of it looks like it's about ready to go too:

The timing belt covers are all the same, but not too many folks put the top one back on.

That is not the original coolant overflow bottle.

Garrett booster

Thanks for the heads-up!

I've got some plans for it this weekend. I'm picking up some sheet metal to make patch panels, and if it's nice out, I may hit up the junkyards around here to look for some odds and ends.

Hybrid booster

Looking good.

Garrett booster

So, when are you gonna post a thread on yours?

I'm going to need your help getting this car running when I get to that point. I just need to get those floors patched.

Hybrid booster

I actually started typing up a log, but then I got distracted so maybe one of these days I will.

Getting it running wont be hard, I have learned a lot with the electronics and ins and outs of these cars from the omnis.

Did you ever yank the head?

Garrett booster

I haven't yanked the head yet. I've been trying to focus on the rust repair for now. I want to make sure I don't disassemble it so much that I forget how to put it all back together.

Also, the previous owner had the car running until the fuel rail started to leak. He replaced the rail, but never hooked it all back up because he said the clutch was gone. He said that it was at the point where the car wouldn't shift at all. I'm not sure if it would be a good idea at this point to pull the motor and tranny and just go nuts, or to pull the head and do the clutch after and try to do as little as possible to get it going.

It also needs a lot of work before I can drive it at all, which includes doing the brakes, replacing the E-brake lines, getting tires that aren't bald and/or flat, finding some new seats for it, etc.

Garrett booster

Glad to see another TD at the challenge, especially with the track record of your team!

Dropping the motor and transmission isn't that difficult on these cars, or at least it's not after the first time.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by StraX22 View Post
    Glad to see another TD at the challenge, especially with the track record of your team!

Dropping the motor and transmission isn't that difficult on these cars, or at least it's not after the first time.
    Thanks! Hopefully, I can get it whipped into shape for the 2012 event.

I'm jumping a little ahead, but I was thinking about the front seats situation. My stock seats are junk. Both sides look like Wolverine used them for a scratching post. What are some popular "junkyard budget" (i.e. cheap) swaps for these? I actually like the stock seats, but they are hard to find in the salvage yards around here. If anyone has some good pics of some different seats in a P-body (or other Mopar FWD product), post 'em up.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Glad to see you posting!

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Garrett booster

Vigo, nice to hear from you dude!

I almost started parting the car out when I saw how bad the floors really were! But then again, I paid a whopping $100 for the whole thing with a ton of parts, so I wasn't too upset.

I more or less bought it to learn how to do body work, because my other car (1979 Trans Am) needs a lot of that, and I have no clue how to do that stuff yet. I've always liked turbo Dodges, Shelbys, and 80's awesomeness, but never thought I would end up with one myself. When this car came along, I jumped on it because of the price and my "Challenge" experience. In the process of working on this CSX, I've really taken a liking to it. Even if it doesn't end up as a Challenge car, I still want to see this car's restoration through to the end.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFleet View Post
    If anyone has some good pics of some different seats in a P-body (or other Mopar FWD product), post 'em up.
    The fabric on those seats does not wear well at all. The last time I checked the only remaining original fabric was bought quite some time ago, but then again that's rumor.
    On my last van we installed stock seats out of a later year model shadow. They were quite comfy and even had a good bit of bolster. Here's a pic:

If you need any detailed photos of a specific part of a CSX let me know.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

For a stock application those Shadow ES seats are hard to beat. I mine!

Garrett booster

What about Dodge Neon seats? I'm sure there are lots of those still in the salvage yards around here.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast