Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hybrid still king?

turbo addict

Re: Hybrid still king?

With a messed up wastegate. Dunno if you read that or not. I build boost around 2300. Not much but it's more than 0. His was 0 till 5k. I get around 15psi in 1st. My peak is 21

I think it's telling that lots of racers are switching to BW setups, even without ball bearings. Especially in classes with inducer restrictions. With the extended tips and better designed wheels the BW is able to make more power. They have a funky new wave in the inducer as well, batmowheel.

http://www.theboostlab.com/products/...atmowheel.html

looks like 150hp over a GT42. With a 1mm smaller inducer, that's nothing to sneeze at. Would be nice if they would have shown the graphs overlayed to show spool up.

Speaking of spool up, I would MUCH rather have a divided twin scroll over ball bearings. You can have both, but if it's between having a $200 holset with a $900 TS manifold or a ported stocker with an $1100 BB turbo, I'll take the holset. Ball bearings don't offer you anything in the power department.

I don't think old hybrids have been left in the dust though. If you are competitively racing you need to keep up with the technology. If you are on the street, the 3-500rpm and 50?hp you may be giving up by not having the latest and the greatest will never be missed. Money invested in tuning and VE will most likely win over putting it into turbo technology.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Holy shitt, 137 whp with that new batman turbo, damn.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly27 View Post
    Money invested in tuning and VE will most likely win over putting it into turbo technology.
    +1!!!

that batmowheel is sick!! i wonder how well that 71mm would fit my GT30

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly27 View Post
    I don't think old hybrids have been left in the dust though. If you are competitively racing you need to keep up with the technology. If you are on the street, the 3-500rpm and 50?hp you may be giving up by not having the latest and the greatest will never be missed. Money invested in tuning and VE will most likely win over putting it into turbo technology.

I will hope that. I can't imagine all the mods required to put one of the new generation wonder turbos on an old 8 valve. The hybrid was a big enough PITA to install, and I bought the complete kit designed for my engine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

Garrett booster

Anyone have any experience with the GTX line of turbos? The GTX3071R looks interesting.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234