Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid still king?

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Hybrid still king?

A couple or so years back, conventional wisdom regarded the T4/T3 S50/.63 stg. 2 hybrid as about ideal for a good breathing 2.5 8V engine. Does this still hold, or have newer turbos put the hybrid on the "flog on Ebay" shelf?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Hybrid still king?

id take my GT3076R over a t3/t4 journal bearing anyday....

it just really comes down to your HP goals, if your looking for a good street setup or track setup, or soemthin in between....yada yada....and of course, PRICE.

i think its funny how everyone jumps ship. most people are afraid to try new things but when they find out what works they are quick to go and copy....

By the time I figure out what to copy, it changes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Austrian Dodge's Avatar

i'd personally go DBB over a journal bearing t3/T4...and holsets also have a become a very good alternative for those on a budget!

but like juggy mentioned, a lot of variables come into play when choosing the right turbo

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    By the time I figure out what to copy, it changes.
    I thought u had a S50 t3/t4 judging by your sig??? i can spool my bigger turbo just as quick or faster (in some cases that i read about some setups)

Quote Originally Posted by Austrian Dodge View Post
    i'd personally go DBB over a journal bearing t3/T4...and holsets also have a become a very good alternative for those on a budget!

but like juggy mentioned, a lot of variables come into play when choosing the right turbo
    DBB FTW!!!
    they spiiin sooooooo nice tooo. they are a much better choice for a street/auto x cars as well. as they spool approx 500rpm faster then a same turbo but in non ball bearing config...
    not to mention the reliability....

if you went with a DBB turbo, id honest suggest the "disco potato" its the GT28RS its pretty much an improved S60 turbo, but will spool better and make more top end (have been pushed to 350whp) which im pretty sure the approx range your looking for? its seriously overlooked by turbo mopar'ers. id love too see someone use that turbo on a 8 valve setup....

turbo addict

Just for the hell of it I typed GT28RS into google and came up with a vendor selling it, 1100 bucks!!! ouch! no wonder people dont go that route lol
    1989 Daytona AGS CS 2.5TII A555, S60 1986 600es Convertible turbo 1969/8 Barracuda 318, 904 1966 Dart Station Wagon 1996 Dakota 5.2 4wd 1979 Honda CM400T Hard tailed Chopper

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Spool and turbo response is 90% dependant on tune and properly set-up supporting mods, 10% turbo config. You can spool a journal turbo just fine IF you set things up right.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Yes I have the S50/STG2 hybrid. I just notice that no one discusses them anymore; it's all GT this, GT that, Holset, etc.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    i think its funny how everyone jumps ship. most people are afraid to try new things but when they find out what works they are quick to go and copy....
    It's also funny how some make that dated 50 trim outperform much better turbos..... (mostly due to the setup and tune)

Look at Pat's #s in his GRM Shadow (high tens on just boost) Mathwise... he's probably pushing it around 470whp... which is supposed to be done at 380-410whp.

My opinion: if your goal is 350whp, then a 50 trim would be a great choice.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    It's also funny how some make that dated 50 trim outperform much better turbos..... (mostly due to the setup and tune)

Look at Pat's #s in his GRM Shadow (high tens on just boost) Mathwise... he's probably pushing it around 470whp... which is supposed to be done at 380-410whp.

My opinion: if your goal is 350whp, then a 50 trim would be a great choice.
    edit: (even though you could find a more better suited turbo combo that is exotic I'm sure, for more $... Ondonti would be able to chime in on that topic)
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I still love my S50 hybrid. Still a great bang-for-the-buck turbo for 400hp.

That said, if I had to replace it, I would shop some of the newer-tech turbos. I don't know much about the Precision or BW turbos myself, but friends and fellow racers rave about them.

Somebody recomended the Disco Potato... that is a pretty specific turbocharger... GT2860RS if memory serves. That has proved to be a great turbo for 2.0L DOHC engines that breathe really well, namely the Nissan SR20 family that want ~300hp, and don't run a lot of boost to get there. Like under 20psi. I don't know for sure, but I don't think it would be a good turbo for our 8v applications that need to really have the air SHOVED into the intake port to make big power. The GT2871 might be a better combo.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Im putting a gt2871 comnpressor side on my vnt. I guess we'll see how that pans out. Ideally one would want a higher-flowing turbine side to go with it, though.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1966 dart wagon
    Just for the hell of it I typed GT28RS into google and came up with a vendor selling it, 1100 bucks!!! ouch! no wonder people dont go that route lol
    You get what you pay for, a decent hybrid is $800, so is it really that much difference?

I love the DBB's, but I also never got to try the HE351, so I can't compare back to back but the GT35R is totally different animal than my old 50 trim Stage III.

John, what are you goals? The new crop of turbo's are unreal but also the 50 trim does the job well.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Yes I have the S50/STG2 hybrid. I just notice that no one discusses them anymore; it's all GT this, GT that, Holset, etc.
    Proven performer, not much more to talk about.......

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Hybrid booster

I think it is dependant on specified use of your car. I have run T3/T4. 63- 50 trims stage II on a couple cars ( all 2.2's and 5 speeds), and is what I like, for an upgraded turbo.

My cars are street driven with drag strip fun. The slightly slower spool up helps with street tires and has an impressive top end, but put a set of slick on and leave at 5k and your still good for a track day.

Greg

One of the biggest advantages of the DBB turbos is reliability. Lose oil pressure for a fraction of a second and you can kiss your journal bearing turbo "good-bye". DBB turbos can survive sans oil long enough to get through those long sweeping turns where oil is pinned up against the side of the pan and not around the P/U tube.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    DBB turbos can survive sans oil long enough to get through those long sweeping turns where oil is pinned up against the side of the pan and not around the P/U tube.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

Chris-TU
    I've got that jim-dandy deep sump pan with windage tray and trap doors you made for me, so no problem on the sweeping turns...I hope

turbo addict

Good point Chris on the DBB being good for cornering, and Simon you are right for 300 bucks more really isnt that much and to think that it would be a better designed turbo. All very good points, Wish I had the money to go DBB, 500 less rpms, yes please!
    1989 Daytona AGS CS 2.5TII A555, S60 1986 600es Convertible turbo 1969/8 Barracuda 318, 904 1966 Dart Station Wagon 1996 Dakota 5.2 4wd 1979 Honda CM400T Hard tailed Chopper

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1966 dart wagon
    Good point Chris on the DBB being good for cornering, and Simon you are right for 300 bucks more really isnt that much and to think that it would be a better designed turbo. All very good points, Wish I had the money to go DBB, 500 less rpms, yes please!
    Of course I say that buying a used GT35R, lol.

But if I had to, I probably would go DBB again, it really is nice,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Cheap Holsets ftw!
    later Dick Westerhof

turbo addict

Cheap Holsets ftw!
    yup, and the hy35 is very similar to a T04E 50 trim, i believe you can put the better flowing he341/351 turbine housing on it and have a 4" dp

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast