Thread: Crank journal

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Crank journal

I have an odd situation with the #2 main journal. All of the bearings look fine, both rod and main, but the #2 crank journal has faint grooves in it. I can feel the lines with my fingernail. The old bearing plastigages at .002" on that journal, and a new bearing gauges the same. It seems very strange to me that the journal could have visibly worn without any bearing wear! I can polish it out with some 400 grit and a shoelace, but if the bearings are doing fine as is, why would it matter? Opinions please!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

turbo addict

Re: Crank journal

as long as its In and not out then it will be fine. Just make sure there are no burrs.

This is a newly rebuilt engine? It could be some sand or something got in there or it was from a previous rebuild.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    as long as its In and not out then it will be fine. Just make sure there are no burrs.

This is a newly rebuilt engine? It could be some sand or something got in there or it was from a previous rebuild.
    A negative impression of sorts is fine, but if it's raised, then it will score the bearing right from the get-go. Usually I see a scratch or digger, even though it leaves an impression, ends up throwing a burr as that scratch typically has to displace that groove somewheres... so it throw it at both sides of the scratch like an old time plow in a field.

Best thing is to ALWAYS have your crank polished (especially at a reputable shop) If you do it yourself... you can put taper/out of round into it real fast as the "by hand" methods I've seen published here are not fail safe and don't ensure even polishing/sanding.

So... doing it by hand, use the finest grade paper you got and wear it down on something else 1st. But do not rub your crank by hand (hehehe) in the areas only where the scratches are.... do it totally evenly no matter what.

Lastly.... use a brush through all the oil holes as there is shat in there (and in the oil galleys in your block, most likely, too)
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

OK, thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

HEHEHEHEHE...he said, "rub your crank"........HEHEHEHEHE.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

^^There he goes again!

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    HEHEHEHEHE...he said, "rub your crank"........HEHEHEHEHE.
    I sure did!

BTW: the possible reason why you had some scores on the journal, yet the bearing showed no wear: very small particles of debris most likely are embedded into the "babbit" surface bearing. Bearings are made to have embeddibility (sp?) characteristics so as to not heavily damage journals. The small spec simply embeds into the babbit and out of harm's way. On all out race motors, we sometimes use what I seem to recall an "H" bearing, which actually looks like a smoked used bearing. It's gone through heat treatment and the babbit area isn't very forgiving like a stock bearing we are using. (they can take a pounding w/out getting out of shape vs. a normal bearing)

If it were me... I'd make sure to not re-use those bearings no matter how well they may look.

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    If it were me... I'd make sure to not re-use those bearings no matter how well they may look.
    I'm using all new bearings (except #5 main...), but I plastigage the old ones first just to see what I'm starting with for clearance. I am going back with standard and -.001" depending.
    Last edited by John B; 04-14-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Yeah, just polish it and you'll be ok.

Bryan, dude, you gotta get laid,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Yeah, just polish it and you'll be ok.

Bryan, dude, you gotta get laid,
    I'm polishing the journal today. BTW, my name's not Bryan but your point is well taken...

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I'm polishing the journal today. BTW, my name's not Bryan but your point is well taken...
    He's talking to Bryan that got all horned up about my comment....

Remember to measure a lot as you do this and polish evenly, not just where the scratch is (so everything still measures the same)

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Sorry John, but it wasn't aimed at you. Actually, him and Juggy need to get together,

BUT there is nothing wrong with polishing your crank once in awhile,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info