Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: need help, looking for 900hp a413 tranny

turbo addict

Re: need help, looking for 900hp a413 tranny

The Red Sled no longer has pinion issues, that issue is solved. Been going a couple years on his trans and his car is probably 700 pounds heavier then the VW here and going faster.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

nice race car awesome times.

I did the reinforcing thing, had my ring and pinion heat treated. I also retard my timing between gears to softin the blow. seems to work tranny lasting 2 years now. my car is no way near as fast as yours but is heavy. Brian will show you other trick to make your tranny live. good luck and glad to see your still into racing .

yeah that was the pinion support.

Can i fit the caravan stuff inside without many mods or i need to machine the case to fit

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boostedgolf View Post
    i know who he is, saw that car many times at napierville montreal.

can i take 87 up and fit it no problem into A404 case

here is what i broke last time this was foot braking in the parking lot
    I had a similar failure at the track, waiting for a noob in a BMW to stage next to me. I got distracted, and boost went sky high and BAM. My latest case has been reinforced like the pics Vigo posted.

Have you heard of the Peloquin diffs for these trannies? Way more effective than the spring block between the stock spiders.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

yeah i know about peloquin i started that tread way back into having those made since that is all we use in VW excellent product and Gary is top notch guy.

anybody know of a omni trans for sale or just the case?

Hybrid booster

just missed one at the yard a little while back, but I'll keep an eye out. Crazy what comes out of the woodwork when scrap is high.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

yeah that was the pinion support.

Can i fit the caravan stuff inside without many mods or i need to machine the case to fit
    The Caravan transmissions are basically turbo car transmissions. The only difference might be the final drives (side gear & pinion/ring gear ratios). As long as you're talking about the A413/31th 3 speed transmissions. You'll want to stay away from the non-turbo Caravan tranny's ('95 & earlier). TBI Caravan transmission parts might be weaker. I'm not 100% sure. The later ('96+ 2.4 Caravan) transmissions have the beefer internals.

A.J.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I dont know of any machining you EVER have to do to swap later parts into earlier cases.

And as far as i know ALL 3.0s got the same ratio as most of the 2.2/2.5s did, which is 3.02 final drive.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    I dont know of any machining you EVER have to do to swap later parts into earlier cases.

And as far as i know ALL 3.0s got the same ratio as most of the 2.2/2.5s did, which is 3.02 final drive.
    This is correct, No machining is required to put the latest and greatest parts into any 3 speed case.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I had a similar failure at the track, waiting for a noob in a BMW to stage next to me. I got distracted, and boost went sky high and BAM. My latest case has been reinforced like the pics Vigo posted.

Have you heard of the Peloquin diffs for these trannies? Way more effective than the spring block between the stock spiders.
    We even got full spool for are trans now.
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ction&p=431047
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ghlight=spools

That might be a good option for this kind of car....

i prefer the LSD a bit safer if a axle lets go, and easier in the pits.

That is good news for fitting the 96 parts into omni case.

final drive is 3.02 what are the 1-2-3 gear ratio on those.

Shipping that tranny from Cali to Canada is gonna cost me alot, maybe if you want check teh shipping cost to Ogdensburg NY it's about 1 hour from me i could cross border to pick it up

Thanks

The 1-2-3 ratios are the same no matter what. 2.69:1, 1.55:1, and 1:1 are the gear ratios.

The FD (final drive) ratio is basically the transfer gear ratio X the ring and pinion ratio. The transfer gears are the big ones under the cover at the end of the transmission near the front left tire.

There are two ring and pinion sets and an assortment of transfer gear sets so you can get FD ratios (effectively the differential ratio in any other car) between 2.6:1 to ~3.7:1.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Did you use the source I gave you? They better not be out, I have a tranny to build for my Dad still.

A.J.
    Alto no longer sells the kit with both clutch packs and apparently the kit with the low/rev clutch is hard to get and its pointless getting that clutch as the A404 steels add one more clutch disc, so no need for the alto version, not to mention, this clutch is also on with the 1-2 clutch. Its the 1-2 clutch that needs help but so far, I haven't destroyed any clutch pack yet. I tried Carls trick and gave up, lol. Slowe and others might have more options.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Forward Motion is good with the A413's too. IIR, DCR used to get his autos' from FM...
    There is only so many ways to build one, with all the info here, anyone can do it,

yeah i know about peloquin i started that tread way back into having those made since that is all we use in VW excellent product and Gary is top notch guy.

anybody know of a omni trans for sale or just the case?
    I can get you a case if you need it, cheaper than getting one in the US or just go to any junk yard or trans shop, they probably have tons. Any one will work, no need to get a turbo case.
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 04-19-2011 at 01:14 PM.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

You mean any one case with the VW bellhousing that only came in omnis for a few years 30 years ago and nobody ruins a case or spends $1k+ rebuilding a trans in a $100 car so why would parts sellers hang on to them??

Its not an easy case to find. Best of luck with the search. Hopefully if you do the pinion bracing it'll be the last case you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    You mean any one case with the VW bellhousing that only came in omnis for a few years 30 years ago and nobody ruins a case or spends $1k+ rebuilding a trans in a $100 car so why would parts sellers hang on to them??

Its not an easy case to find. Best of luck with the search. Hopefully if you do the pinion bracing it'll be the last case you need.
    True if he only wants the A404 case.

I did have a line on the A404 cases a few years ago, I found 2 for him but he didn't need or want them, hmmmmmmm, wonder if the guy still has them.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

yeah A404 case is what im looking for

And did the Peloquin drop right in the A404 case.

So Where can i get the 300m inputshaft and is it better to run LU or No.

Who have you dealt with to get all upgrade clutches, bands, valvebody.

Heard Nan converter are pretty good, any other places

---------- Post added at 07:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 AM ----------

Also we trapped 164mph before i know the auto takes some out of it but what year would i find the 3.5 or 3.7

Car weighs 2200lbs with me in it, but should be around 2k since i now have 7lbs doors and carbon hatch.

We rev to 8900rpm but we go to 9500rpm running now 26" instead of 28"

3.5fd
    73mph
    127mph
    177mph

3.7fd
    69mph
    120mph
    168mph

I like the 3.7 since i can rev to 9500rpm no problem wich gives me room to 179mph wich is way more then i will ever need.
    With your experience how much does the torque slip, is it best to take shorter gears and if it slips im still ok

what tranny could i find that 3.7

To get the 3.72 gearing you need to run the 3.05:1 ring and pinion set, and the 1.22:1 transfer gear set.

I am not sure about this but i think the a404 CAME with the 1.22 transfer gear set. The 3.05 ring and pinion you should be able to find in some TBI 2.2/2.5 trannies, maybe carb too. Im pretty sure that ring and pinion never came in a turbo or v6 trans.

Simon has a link to the old Robskorner page that had all the gearing broken down by year and application.. right Simon?

Quote Originally Posted by boostedgolf
    yeah A404 case is what im looking for

And did the Peloquin drop right in the A404 case.

So Where can i get the 300m inputshaft and is it better to run LU or No.

Who have you dealt with to get all upgrade clutches, bands, valvebody.

Heard Nan converter are pretty good, any other places
    Nan, Hugh's. PM Reeves too, he has someone as well.

Get the resusable pan gasket too, makes life easier-

05011113AA

I covered the LU pro's and con's in my first post, so you can decide what's best for you,

I know i am not making the power of Slowe and others but I simply use stock stuff, and I offer a rear sun gear with a needle trust bearing instead of the crap copper thrust washer.

Ohio Rob or maybe slow has a contact for the 300M shaft or

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...upplier-listed.

Quote Originally Posted by vigo
    To get the 3.72 gearing you need to run the 3.05:1 ring and pinion set, and the 1.22:1 transfer gear set.

I am not sure about this but i think the a404 CAME with the 1.22 transfer gear set. The 3.05 ring and pinion you should be able to find in some TBI 2.2/2.5 trannies, maybe carb too. Im pretty sure that ring and pinion never came in a turbo or v6 trans.

Simon has a link to the old Robskorner page that had all the gearing broken down by year and application.. right Simon?
    I am looking for some 1.22 gears, so far, no go,

Link to Rob's page-

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Let it be known that there is NOT a set of .94 transfer gears. The person who put that info together did the math wrong.

Don't for get that the 1.22 xfer gears out of the VW cases need to be shimmed to work in the A413 case if you go that route.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast