Thread: Sigh. Intake manifold bolts too long. 2.2 Log

Hybrid booster

Sigh. Intake manifold bolts too long. 2.2 Log

I ordered the only intake manifold bolts listed. Unfortunately, they are too long and extend into the head bolt holes. Of course I did notice this until I had it all assembled and I was bolting it down to the block in the car.

So now I have to take it all apart, again. I now need to know where to get the right length bolts? This is a 1987 2.2 Turbo I, Log Intake. I would prefer to get this from the dealer for time reasons, assuming they still sell them.

Intake Manifold Bolts - part number? Or aftermarket?
    New manifold gasket (I have installed it twice already, so now I want a new one)
    I also need a c clip for the wastegate arm - where can I get this, or can someone offer me one? I lost it somewhere over the past year...

HELP! Thanks to local TM member Devobuzz (Ralph) for coming over to help me, but it was to no avail...

Derek

turbo addict

Re: Sigh. Intake manifold bolts too long. 2.2 Log

Yeah the blow through intakes are longer unfortunately. I'd just run to the hardware store and pick some shorter bolts

Hybrid booster

Measured the ones I bought, they are 60mm. My old ones are 50mm. I am just going to use my old ones, they look fine, and they are not high torque so I assume they are good - right?

Or yeah, I can go get them at the local hardware store - true Mike...

Anyone have this C-Clip, or know a hardware store equivalent? I think sell little clips that are similar at the hardware store as well.

Derek

Derek

turbo addict

Idk the correct size of the c clip but its fairly small. Can you just take it with you? Or buy a small assortment at an auto parts store. They are usually pretty cheap.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetona View Post
    Idk the correct size of the c clip but its fairly small. Can you just take it with you? Or buy a small assortment at an auto parts store. They are usually pretty cheap.
    Yeah I will buy a few sizes if I can find them. Gotta get this back together before the weekend so I can get some real work done.

Arg, I have had everything go wrong every step of the way. But this is part of the indoctrination... everyone here has gone through it I think.

turbo addict

Pretty much. I remember the biggest PITA thing of the first time I did anything with a TM was putting the turbo oil drainback hose on. Those darn things are too close together!! lol Oh...and forgetting to put the oil feed from the block to turbo on. Thats not easy with the head on. An 1/8th of a turn every 20 sec when you finally manage to get the wrench on there takes a while LOL.

turbo addict

yea just use the old ones.

turbo addict

Derek,
    Well it could be worse. You could have tried to use the one piece bolts on a two piece manifold. This is why there are so many stripped out threads on turbo cylinder heads. IIRC, the 2 piece are like 58mm long. 60 is too long and will bottom out on head bolts. 55mm a bit short. I trim 60mm to fit. I would have mentioned that to you when we spoke, but since you weren't replacing the manifold, I didn't think you would have replaced the bolts. If that is the worse thing to happen, then not so bad. Have some help when setting that cylinder head on the dowel pins. You don't want to drag the cylinder head across those pins. they are very close to the sealing surface for the fire ring (headgasket). Seen that done about 50 times before.
    Todd

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Derek,
    This is why there are so many stripped out threads on turbo cylinder heads.
    Todd
    That's why I like to make studs for my heads, much less likely to strip a thread although I have on one. Pulled the threads right off.

Hybrid booster

Derek,
    I would have mentioned that to you when we spoke, but since you weren't replacing the manifold, I didn't think you would have replaced the bolts. If that is the worse thing to happen, then not so bad. Have some help when setting that cylinder head on the dowel pins. You don't want to drag the cylinder head across those pins. they are very close to the sealing surface for the fire ring (headgasket). Seen that done about 50 times before.
    Todd
    The old ones just looked a little rusty, figured I'd replace them. Since I only saw one option to purchase, I figured that must be right - never measured. Just another sad mistake. On the bright side, I did find the intake manifold bolt holes that you said intruded into the had bolt cavities... I'll use some RTV on those next go around.

I had a local TM member come by to help me placed. We placed it perfectly in one shot, right onto the pins. Then it went downhill from there. It's all back apart again. Heading to Mopar tomorrow morning for the gasket, which you said was "4105745 maybe superseded to 42832000".

Derek

turbo addict

I wouldnt take my chances with rusty ones. If you plan on leaving that together for a while it can be a problem in the future.

+1 on studs, but regular correct size bolts from the hardware store will work fine also.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by ohlarikd View Post
    The old ones just looked a little rusty, figured I'd replace them. Since I only saw one option to purchase, I figured that must be right - never measured. Just another sad mistake. On the bright side, I did find the intake manifold bolt holes that you said intruded into the had bolt cavities... I'll use some RTV on those next go around.

Derek
    I'd use Permatex Thread Sealer where the bolts go through to the head bolt holes.
    1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr. R.I.P. 2.2 T1 log intake, modified to intercool Best 1/8th 9.03@77mph / Best 1/4 14.16@93.55mph Running on E85:nod:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '93 Spirit 2.5 TBI 5 Spd(sold), '85 Ramcharger, 360 4brl, NP435 4 Spd. The new ride; '90 Sundance 2.5 T1/5 spd. FMIC(from Ford Probe) new Mitsu; Best 1/8th 8.96@79.16 / Best 1/4 14.06@101.27

Hybrid booster

Had to get Felpro Intake/Exhaust gasket. All Dodge Dealers are out of stock, and it will take over a week to get from 'central warehouse'. Using original bolts (only surface rust on outer head surface).

Derek

turbo addict

Had to get Felpro Intake/Exhaust gasket. All Dodge Dealers are out of stock, and it will take over a week to get from 'central warehouse'. Using original bolts (only surface rust on outer head surface).

Derek
    Derek just make sure gasket is not hanging in port area on cylinder head. Your port walls more than likely have been brought out close to the gasket edge on the cylinder head. Some aftermarket gaskets are smaller in this area. Probably will be okay, just check it.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

Derek just make sure gasket is not hanging in port area on cylinder head. Your port walls more than likely have been brought out close to the gasket edge on the cylinder head. Some aftermarket gaskets are smaller in this area. Probably will be okay, just check it.
    Todd
    Yes, I remember you saying that. I don't think any work was done enlarging those areas, but I will make sure there is no blockage for sure.

What should I put on the head bolts when I put them in - copper anti-seize, oil, etc?

Thanks!
    Derek

turbo addict

Yes, I remember you saying that. I don't think any work was done enlarging those areas, but I will make sure there is no blockage for sure.

What should I put on the head bolts when I put them in - copper anti-seize, oil, etc?

Thanks!
    Derek
    Very thin film of oil. Dunking bolts in motor oil? No, way too much. oil under/over washers too.
    Todd

turbo addict

Very thin film of oil. Dunking bolts in motor oil? No, way too much. oil under/over washers too.
    Todd
    +1, and make sure the threaded hole is CLEAN you can do some serious damage if theres water/dirt/debris in there.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I always have the problem that whenever i am putting a blowthrough intake on, all i can find are log intake bolts. Of course i have ~100lbs of bolts in 2 5gal buckets so if my organizational system was better i might not have that problem.

But i do agree with todd.. the different lengths of intake bolts result in a lot of messed up threads.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

I just bought the e-clip at the hardware store, if I remember it was the 3/16th one. But I would get one bigger and one smaller just in case.

Hybrid booster

Everything is all back together with the old bolts and the head is torqued down on the car... thanks for the help! I got the clip from Chris at TU which worked great, but I also had a bunch I got from HW stores if that one didn't work.

Derek