Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1987 New Yorker

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: 1987 New Yorker

is that hard to do? the rear sags it seems. seems all yorks look the same? should i removed and install normal shocks in rear to bring up? i dont know if that air system is evening working. i dont think there upgraded struts etc for this car is there?
    Rich Bollei 1987 New Yorker T2 "Poor planning on your part does not make it an emergency on mine"

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Well lowering it is not HARD, you just cut the spring and put it back together. Whats hard is knowing how much to cut or getting it perfect on the first try. You do need some kind of spring compressor, too. I use the ones harbor freight sells for $15.

As for the struts, there are no 'performance' struts that will bolt right into the car, other than the discontinued Konis. Only stock-replacement stuff like KYB gr2/excel-g, monroe sensatrac, gabriel struts, etc. There are different kinds of struts you can modify to work in a k-car with varying degrees of effort, but if you are keeping stock springs any stock replacement strut will work and get the job done, it just wont be stiff or adjustable or anything like that.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Shadowfromhell has some flex fuel injectors for sale for $75. They are basically +20s and could get you up to 250hp.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...-of-everything

Hybrid booster

I didn't see if it was mentioned, but the stock intercooler was holding me back in my k-car, big time.

This car has a front mount already installed. FTW!

finally decided on a hubcap. Ordered today. should have 15x6.5 steel wheels by tuesday. I recieved my 2.5SV Going to order 3" DP and 3" Round Magnaflow muffler monday so i can get exhaust situated. going to keep side exit. i know it will be louder still. debating if i should get a hi-flow cat to mat up also? to reduce noise.. would i have the room with muffler for side exit?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!BzJq6ZQB2k~$(KGrHqUOKj0E)OikY4ZQBMUv-!L-kw~~_12.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	30340
    Rich Bollei 1987 New Yorker T2 "Poor planning on your part does not make it an emergency on mine"

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by V8GremlinX View Post
    finally decided on a hubcap. Ordered today. should have 15x6.5 steel wheels by tuesday. I recieved my 2.5SV Going to order 3" DP and 3" Round Magnaflow muffler monday so i can get exhaust situated. going to keep side exit. i know it will be louder still. debating if i should get a hi-flow cat to mat up also? to reduce noise.. would i have the room with muffler for side exit?

Name:	!BzJq6ZQB2k~$(KGrHqUOKj0E)OikY4ZQBMUv-!L-kw~~_12.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	30340
    Cats are way too expensive to use as mufflers. If you have a decent muffler on there it can't be that bad.

Cheap cats arent any pricier than expensive mufflers..

My 3.3 dynasty has a 3" high flow cat and a SS mesh-packed magnaflow oval case and that thing is QUIET at low rpms. My aries has a 3" side exit with no cat, but a round case magnaflow followed by a glasspack, and it is sorta loud.

In my experience running side exit on the aries, the real noise problem comes from highway RPMs with the auto. I didnt really like my first side-exit exhaust until i swapped to 5spd and suddenly i couldnt hear it anymore, and its been fine ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Cheap cats arent any pricier than expensive mufflers..

My 3.3 dynasty has a 3" high flow cat and a SS mesh-packed magnaflow oval case and that thing is QUIET at low rpms. My aries has a 3" side exit with no cat, but a round case magnaflow followed by a glasspack, and it is sorta loud.

In my experience running side exit on the aries, the real noise problem comes from highway RPMs with the auto. I didnt really like my first side-exit exhaust until i swapped to 5spd and suddenly i couldnt hear it anymore, and its been fine ever since.
    I suppose that's true. I've never seen the point of running a cat when not in an area that is emissions tested though. Just a personal thing.

Have you run a TM with the .91 transfer gears before? I think I'm going to start pulling those from the local yard for guys. They have been awesome in my Neon.

My aries actually had the 2.78 FD in it when it was auto so it was a bit taller than the usual 3.02. Still, i drive 75mph for 80% of my driving time, so the rpms were up there a bit.
    Last edited by Vigo; 04-18-2011 at 01:07 AM.

Talking Re: 1987 New Yorker

as i mentioned before i was trying to stay stock looking with my wheel options. went ahead and got some very nice aftermarket steel wheels 15"x 6.5 that actually are not a universal bolt pattern and fit snug on hub. After some research i went with some http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes Took them for a ride. and was very impressed on there handling and quietness. i feel they are a perfect fit for my car in a 215/60R15 94H

Name:	20110422194329.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	344.9 KB 
ID:	30507

These are how they look on car

Name:	20110422194859.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	308.4 KB 
ID:	30508

know with my wire caps for the stock sleeper type look

Name:	20110422193257.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	483.4 KB 
ID:	30509Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20110422193307.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	453.9 KB 
ID:	30510Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20110422193326.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	342.4 KB 
ID:	30511

i like how they turned out, guess thats all that matters :-) opinions are apreciated

I like that tire size, its a good fit for all the k-cars.

As far as the wire caps, they look like stock, just slightly bigger. I dont like stock but i guess that is what you were going for. The performance is going to WAAAAAY better even with the same looks.

That's a great sleeper look for sure.

But you're killing the stealth with your blacked out front end!!

Arrow Re: 1987 New Yorker

considering using this car as my primary now and switching my motor in. only downfall with this car is that it would need to have the I/C ran. dents in the roof, light surface rust on bottom and it needs a K-Frame since the current has a hole. my other york just got hit in road, and the only reason im debating is i plan on taking entire interior, doors,fenders and hood and swaping them onto my 86, and since the 86 needs the new trans put in, i gotta do some major overhauling. so i was considering maybe just using this 87 that was intended for parts. im more concerned on removing the surface rust from bottom and how or who would do it. just looking for thoughts :-) give me something to do read while i wait for my wife to go in labor.

Name:	20110611190206.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	462.7 KB 
ID:	33078

Congrats on the kid.

Surely there must be some place which does soda blasting etc. that could remove all the surface rust from underneath the car in your area.

Talk to Stodola who works in the bakery over at mad heights. He could send you to his guy. He does nice work.

wow i havent heard that name in a long time. figured he would of moved on to better things than the bakery. he still into the buick turbo's? you happen to have his e-mail or maybe a cell number?

Quote Originally Posted by V8GremlinX View Post
    wow i havent heard that name in a long time. figured he would of moved on to better things than the bakery. he still into the buick turbo's? you happen to have his e-mail or maybe a cell number?
    When you're making what those guys in the bakery do topped out and live a mile from the warehouse it's pretty easy to stay in an entry level position.

Last I was at his place he had the WE4 all dressed up with no place to go. I think he just has to put the big turbo and IC in it and he's read to hit the streets looking super sharp.

well the project is over and im out of turbo dodge's again. so my car and parts and donar car will be up forsale shortly. A close forum member is interested so im going to try to give him a good deal as i did when he bought my shadow back in 2003. Im going to stay a member since i really enjoy these cars. Hey, maybe i will have a 3rd crack at this later down the road. My replacement to my TD is a 85 Corvette, really notta a project as its in really good shape. I will say this, my new yorker with the trans flaring feels faster. I also look forward to staying a member of the great lakes chapter as long as u dont mind a vette hanging around .

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	247321_4025297985744_1124814507_n.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	41998   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corvette1.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	41999  

well my NY is gone, sold to a member on forum from Illinois. He got a E-Body gem :-)

Rich

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast