Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1987 New Yorker

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

1987 New Yorker

With the summer upon us, i wanted to start and document my car, and what i will be doing to my car. To start i will give a slight history of what i know so far. Its a 87 New Yorker which i purchased from 87Yorker which used to be on the forum. I orginally bought it as a DD/toy, but it will now be a toy.

It is a T1 Converted T2 system. 413 auto. the car came from out west, so i am lucky enough to have a rust free new yorker in Michigan. From what i was told. the lower end is a 2.2 T1, the car has a stock T1 garret turbo with T2 adapter for IC. T2 Injectors, Completely Rebuilt/ported and polished head. Ported to match newer t2 1 piece intake, Stage 2 Cal. 2.5 side exit exhaust.

Car did have more issues then i planned.

Mechanical issues are- transmission is going. multiple oil leaks. exhaust sounds like crap. could use new struts and rear shocks. motor/trans mounts seem weak.

Cosmetic- bad paint fade, lots of dings. top is faded and has 1 very small tear, wheels are ugly and rub on full steers. post chrome is good. but the plastic stuff in bumpers is bad, needs windshield, interior panels are made of that felt material and have lots of scuffs. seats are good shape and just need good cleaning. headliner and visors need to be redone.

My plans for the car to start will be all mechanical. my goals for this car for power is medium. i would be happy with maybe a stage 4 ecu system. Over the next couple months these are what i would like to redo/replace.

Transmission, bought one from trannybuster on forum with very low miles on rebuild, and simon is doing up a valve body to go with it. i do not know yet on converter since they are expensive, but maybe after some more research and advice i may go with one when trans is put in.

I will be replacing multiple gaskets to fix oil leaks. Oil pan, and valve cover to start. Going to get a 1 piece gasket valve cover. Oil Turbo line is leaking and i will be putting a kit from one of our vendors since the price to build one seems to have went up in price for parts.

as for engine i would like to get a stage 4 cal, go with larger injectors(dont know if i should go +20 or 40), fuel pump, regulator, 3 bar map, and maybe upgrade the turbo to something bigger, but with my plans being not that drastic, may just stick with current till it goes(fresh rebuild atm)

Exhaust is whats been holding me back on buying parts. i was going to keep 2.5 side exit but to many people have told me to go 3" and upgrade SV and downpipe as well. i have been trying to find a used 2.5 SV to save some money but i have not had any luck.

My total goal is to have a 250-280ish HP new yorker, that might get me into 13's i do not know if what i have planned can get me there but we will see. i am open to all recommendations on my build. recommendations would be greatfully appreciated. ty in advanced

Interior goals and update pictures to come

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Motor 1.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	30145

Name:	motor 2.jpg 
Views:	908 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	30146

Name:	CIMG1674.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	160.9 KB 
ID:	30147

Name:	CIMG1679.jpg 
Views:	945 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	30148
    Rich Bollei 1987 New Yorker T2 "Poor planning on your part does not make it an emergency on mine"

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: 1987 New Yorker

You should keep that interior stock looking. That is too nice to go changing on such a rare color combo. I'm all for the turbo vent hood though.

I'm looking forward to following your progress and the new pics. You've been out of the TM game for WAY too long now.

I really need to find both Vented hood and fenders. haven't decided on wheels. backed out on a set of pizzas. dont know what would look good. maybe 14" steel with wirecaps? tire choices would be tough. as for interior. keeping it that color affects paint. dont know how well that would look with black paint. maybe go back with the turd brown :-)
    Rich Bollei 1987 New Yorker T2 "Poor planning on your part does not make it an emergency on mine"

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Id leave the interior AND exterior colors the way they are and just get some wheels that go with it.

Looks like a fun car.

IMO there's no point in spending money on +40s if you're keeping a 1pc intake on it, it would just make your life harder to move enough air to need that much fuel.

With a stock garret and 1pc and +20s you can comfortably 250hp. You can easily run high 13s that way. Hell, a LOT of people seem to have run low 14s with nearly stock 2.2/auto ~t2 setups.

You definitely dont need a 3" exhaust for that. And, just for some perspective, 8valves trapped 108 in a full weight daytona on a 2.25" sv. For 250hp i wouldnt worry too much about 2.5 SV, 3" exhaust, etc.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by V8GremlinX View Post
    I really need to find both Vented hood and fenders. haven't decided on wheels. backed out on a set of pizzas. dont know what would look good. maybe 14" steel with wirecaps? tire choices would be tough. as for interior. keeping it that color affects paint. dont know how well that would look with black paint. maybe go back with the turd brown :-)
    I agree that the wheels are a tough choice. I would almost think some mesh wheels off of a Lebaron GTC would be really nice. Didn't they make them in gold? That would look sweet IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Id leave the interior AND exterior colors the way they are and just get some wheels that go with it.

Looks like a fun car.

IMO there's no point in spending money on +40s if you're keeping a 1pc intake on it, it would just make your life harder to move enough air to need that much fuel.

With a stock garret and 1pc and +20s you can comfortably 250hp. You can easily run high 13s that way. Hell, a LOT of people seem to have run low 14s with nearly stock 2.2/auto ~t2 setups.

You definitely dont need a 3" exhaust for that. And, just for some perspective, 8valves trapped 108 in a full weight daytona on a 2.25" sv. For 250hp i wouldnt worry too much about 2.5 SV, 3" exhaust, etc.
    I agree with everything but the injectors. +40s don't cost much more if any, and they offer a ton of head room for when +20s won't cut it. I've already suggested that he hunt down a two piece and that will help a lot.

yeah im gonna look for a 2piece. as for wheels, i have considered these. what do u think? i know ive seen the right ones on lebarons. saw that left on a caravan. any others? do they have names?

Name:	20110319173904.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	361.5 KB 
ID:	30168Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20110309162854.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	387.1 KB 
ID:	30169

[IMG]I agree with everything but the injectors. +40s don't cost much more if any,[/IMG]

If you are buying them new, then yes the price difference is small. However im of the opinion that ~450cc injectors (+20s) arent worth much, and i have never paid much either. Ive found 2 sets of flex fuels in the junkyards even. I tend to forget that people pay full price for things sometimes..

Either one of those wheels will work well imo. I would just call the left ones mesh or lace wheels and the right ones iirc are called cathedral wheels, but i doubt enough people call them that to where it would help to know what they are called Ive seen them on 94-95 spirits iirc.

On the van wheels, be careful that you dont get ones with the bigger 5x114.3 pattern. Some wheels for caravans were made the same style in both lug patterns.

the wheels on the left in your post are called lace wheels quite often.

Here is a link to the KC section on wheels. It's not all of them, but it is a good start. Note that the later Caravan wheels are a different bolt pattern than the cars.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/co...ck-Wheel-Guide!!!

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

Beaten by three minutes...

you've still got me beat by 4,800 posts.

turbo addict

yeah im gonna look for a 2piece. as for wheels, i have considered these. what do u think? i know ive seen the right ones on lebarons. saw that left on a caravan. any others? do they have names?

Name:	20110319173904.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	361.5 KB 
ID:	30168Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20110309162854.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	387.1 KB 
ID:	30169
    I have the wheels on the left in white on my new yorker.

http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/v/Me..._0651.jpg.html

what I'd love to find is a set from a Berretta GT in white.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    I have the wheels on the left in white on my new yorker.

http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/v/Me..._0651.jpg.html

what I'd love to find is a set from a Berretta GT in white.
    i really like how those look. would love to find a set of them in gold

i really like how those look. would love to find a set of them in gold
    That would be sweet!

Nice looking New Yorker Rich, the color scheme is awesome...I'd love to have those seats for the sin wagon!

The Factory installed lace wheels that were 16" on some of the LeBaron "J" bodies. Here's a picture of a set on my wagon...it should have similar fenderwells, so you can see how they fill them up.

Again, you have a great looking ride, and I look forward to more pictures and info
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

considering going back to steels and hub caps but upgrading to 15" i can get new 15x6.5 steel wheels and i found these 15" aftermarket wire cap which i think would look good. looking for opinions :-)

Name:	90012-15c.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	30215

I think wire wheels/caps could look great on a new yorker, as long as they arent the stock ones. Going to a bigger wheel diameter (and a smaller tire diameter too) and a hubcap thats not as convex as the stock wire caps would work well imo.

turbo addict

I don't know, I guess I'm not old enough, or maybe the wrong color but I've never been found of wires.

Wrong color? Hmm lol.anyways I'm gonna try to go more to the stock look.let alone I found some 15x6.5 steel wheels. So I can get a decent size tire on

unfortunately there arent a lot of cool sizes to pick from that work well on 15s. 205/50 is too short, 205/55 is kinda skinny, 215/60 is on the tall side, and 225/50 would preferably go on a 7+ wide rim.

Id say 225/50 on 6.5 is the best wide/tall 15" compromise you can get on these things considering nobody makes a 215/55/15. :/

I was going to consider going 215/60R15. it is .03 taller. it will still have nice width and a bit more comfort with slightly larger sidewall. I manage a Costco Tire Center. my program shows this to be right on for speedometer all the way too 100 i will be doing 99

Ive had several sets of 215/60r15s on my k-cars, i think its the best tire size you can get for a factory 15x6 unless the car is lowered a lot. If its lowered a lot the tire looks too big, but your car doesnt look lowered at all.

Although, after you get the new wheels and tires on, i would bring the front down a little bit to level it out and get rid of some of that wheelgap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast