Thread: Convertible Top Replacement Questions!

Garrett booster

Exclamation Convertible Top Replacement Questions!

Hey, I am planning on replacing my convertible top on my 1987 Chrysler Lebaron.
    I ordered the step by step DVD and just finished watching it before I order the new top.
    I do understand that they do recommend professional installation but it is possible to do it by following this DVD, also money issues are reasons for this for myself.
    Has anyone replaced a top on 1987 Lebaron? If so is there any tips you have for me?
    Also, mentioned in the DVD was that the window weather strips cannot be reused if they are damaged so I need to be careful removing them because they are no longer available to buy anymore for my car. Does anyone know if that is true? I have done a bit of research and cannot find any dealer who sells them.
    Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you
    -Mike

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Convertible Top Replacement Questions!

I don't have any tips to offer, but I do need to replace my top also. I know there are a few here who have done it themselves. IIRC most suggest that they would have paid someone if they would have known how bad it would be.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

arizona parts guy (marty mopar: martin kohler) probably has everything weatherstrip wise NOS if you wanna pay for it. Otherwise I would suggest if possible hit up any salvage yards that are the self serve variety and start practicing on a junker to develop your technique for removing the rubber stuff without ruining it. might even get a couple pieces off that you can put in your spares stash.

Garrett booster

That is a great idea to practice at a junk yard. And yes, the video looks like it is an extreme amount of work but it'll save me $1300.

Hybrid booster

I had the top replaced on my 89, top was $500 and instilation was about $400, so not sure how your saving so much.

Garrett booster

Well the company I found is quoting me $1700 including the top. I'm going to search around for other company's but I can't seem to find many in calgary.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by LeBaronMike View Post
    Well the company I found is quoting me $1700 including the top. I'm going to search around for other company's but I can't seem to find many in calgary.
    That is insane!

I have done probably 10 or so lebaron tops. The shop I work at charges about 900 installed for that top and that includes a glass rear window. The weather stripping is not hard to remove, just make sure you find all of the screws, you can either slide it off the channel or use a non sharp tool such as a tuck tool to lift it out. The hardest part is getting it tight, but not too loose. Electron makes the best tops, but Im pretty sure you cant order from them direct, you need to be a shop.

Garrett booster

yah im probably going to order through topsonline or the auto top shop. Hopefully i can reuse the weather strips I currently have, that would save some hassle. If anything goes wrong doing the project, do you think that an install company would be able to finish the job for cheaper price? or would they not bother finishing something that was already started?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by LeBaronMike View Post
    yah im probably going to order through topsonline or the auto top shop. Hopefully i can reuse the weather strips I currently have, that would save some hassle. If anything goes wrong doing the project, do you think that an install company would be able to finish the job for cheaper price? or would they not bother finishing something that was already started?
    A shop could finish it, but its a real pain if somebody messed with it. So you would probably get charged more.