Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '99 Neon R/T

Hybrid booster

'99 Neon R/T

Was wondering if anyone knows of a bigger throttle body to run on the DOHC motor?
    ex:52mm off a 3.0L fits on our 2.2L

boostaholic

Re: '99 Neon R/T

Jeep 4.0 TB

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

might as well run a 58mm off of a 98-00 3.8L high output town and country caravan. some grands have em too

both the 58mm and the 60mm both neck down to like 54mm.

also im pretty sure the 60mm jeep 4 bolt pattern is a tad smaller. you would just need to open up the 2 holes on the TB to make it work.

the 58mm can be bored out to a true 58mm. i did that to my TB here. I also got a 60mm jeep TB bored and plated to 62mm

turbo addict

One from a auto neon is bigger, doesnt matter if it is sohc or dohc. They bolt up, and give decent gains, Ive done that mod to two of the neons I have owned. The auto TB and a 3.0 intake is a good upgrade for a SOHC or DOHC neon.

Hybrid booster

A 3.o intake bolts up? Really?

turbo addict

Yup

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.ph...1998&p=2788902

Ive ran that style intake on all my neons, works great!

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Not really the intake mnaifold, just the pre-TB intake stuff....don't get confused....LOL.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Hybrid booster

Got ya,now the 3.0 TB bolts up?Aren't the connectors different?

turbo addict

Yup, but honestly if you are just looking for a little more pep I think you would be better of with just the auto TB. My neon is a 97 DOHC sport with 3.94's (same as your r/t) and the throttle is touchy with the the larger auto TB. I dont know If I would want to go any bigger or if it is even needed.

Hybrid booster

OK,now does anyone know what lb. injectors these have and what are good upgrades and from what vehicle to get them from?

turbo addict

Upgrade? Are you boosting it or something? No need to upgrade otherwise.

Hybrid booster

Ok,didn't know if the whole more air/fuel-out the exhaust would make a diff on a n/a car.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff dodgeshadowchik's Avatar

CAI Intake, header, exhaust, Mopar Performance ECU, Auto TB, and you'll love it. That's what was done to my old R/T and it was a blast to drive. It ran low 15's spinning tires through 3 gears... pretty sure it would've been a 14-sec car if it had slicks.

No need for larger injectors unless at that point..

"I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

turbo addict

From the small gains these cars seem to get from intake and exhaust mods it makes me wonder if some mild cams wouldnt be a better first mod then a header or even mopar ECU.

turbo addict

The second gen R/T got hp gain from a cam, exhaust, and premium fuel. I would think the DOHC engine is leaving a lot on the table.

turbo addict

Yeah, there is a lot to gain with the 1st gen neon's. I went the easy way out. As far as N/A performance, mine had a long tube header, Iceman CAI, and Mopar pcm and it was very quick. It was also a 2.4!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0192.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	30101

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    Yeah, there is a lot to gain with the 1st gen neon's. I went the easy way out. As far as N/A performance, mine had a long tube header, Iceman CAI, and Mopar pcm and it was very quick. It was also a 2.4!

Name:	IMG_0192.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	30101
    A buddy of mine had a "bolt on" 2.4 years ago in the neon I now have. Had everything you had, but it still wasn't as fast as I thought it should have been. I think a set of cams would have REALLY woke it up, nothing crazy like 22's but maybe some 14's or something like that. I would be curious how well a neon like mine that has nothing more then a auto tb and 3.0 intake would do with a set of cams. From the numbers I have seen "big" bolt on's like a long tube dont really add that much power. I think the stock cams are tying up ALOT of power even in a bone stock motor.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by dodgeshadowchik View Post
    CAI Intake, header, exhaust, Mopar Performance ECU, Auto TB, and you'll love it. That's what was done to my old R/T and it was a blast to drive. It ran low 15's spinning tires through 3 gears... pretty sure it would've been a 14-sec car if it had slicks.

No need for larger injectors unless at that point..
    I had all of that done to my 98 SOHC Micromachine...but also ran the injectors from the automatic car...a bit larger. The best the car ran on motor was 14.80 on slicks....addded 125 hp shot of nitrous to it and it ran a best of 12.17 at 119...a hair more mph than my non-nitrous 05 SRT4 Pit Bull..12.17 at 115.

I used this car (the 98) to win Car and Driver Magazines 50th Anniversary Drag Race in 05...it had a problem and was running on 3 cylinders, running low 17s, but the heat index for the two days was in the 116 degree range and it was the only car I had with AC...ran it all day long except when on the track. They limited it to 500 cars which would have been 9 rounds..but when we got down to 8 they tossed in 8 Car and Driver editors to try and take us out....after two days and 10 rounds a certain old fart was the winner...the car went over 100,000 miles the last day on the home. They had film crews there and the whole 9 yards...they even stuck a incar camera in my car for a pass and interviewed me after the event. When the Hour Oower was finally televised they ran almost the entire drag strip section about a BMW Isetta that ran 40 something mph!!! He didn't even race! I think they were ticked that at the end a lowly Neon and a FourRunner met in the finals...both being 17 second slugs...all the high $$$ stuff went home early. I must say though, before evry Auto Meter TV ad during the show they ran my incar camera...CLEARLY showing all my AM gauges! Thank God I didn't miss a shift!

Name:	50th_anniversary_party_bracket_racing_image_0131_gallery_image_large.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	138.3 KB 
ID:	30106
    Csaba Csere handing me a Rolex Daytona!
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ATaylorRacing View Post
    but also ran the injectors from the automatic car
    This is the first time I heard of this, not that I am doubting you but what is your source for this info? The neon crowd is such a mess (compared to here) I dont visit their forums much, so it wouldnt surprise me if this was a new bit of info .

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

Also... congrats on the win with the neon. I had a old sohc mtx sedan years ago and it was one of my favorite cars to drag race, really couldn't tell you why. It ran a 15.8 on a bog (DR's) with nothing more then a punched cat, fart cannon, and 3.0 intake. Car definitely could have got a 15.5 out of it with another pass, but we got rained out and I sold it a few weeks later. All my other neon buddies were pissed that their dohc cars that were modded were slower then my almost stock SOHC, and my buddy that had a 2.4 with a ton of bolton's only ran .2 faster!

Hybrid booster

Does anyone know the lb. difference from the manual to the auto?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast