Thread: VNT Rear Crossmember Fix Suggestions

Threaded View

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

VNT Rear Crossmember Fix Suggestions

My car is a '90 VNT Competition Package Shadow that I have owned since April of '96, and it's currently the "project" car that I started 5 years ago, and went on hiatus since '07.

As you can see from the pix, the rear crossmember frame section needs some TLC. (you can also tell that I sandblasted the areas and never got around to sealing them back then, too) The car only saw a few winters, so believe it or not.... that's the only rust areas on the car! I tend to see these fwd Mopars all rust right in that area as it's between the spare tire well, and the fuel tank.

I have some ideas on the fix: Hammer into shape some thin steel (1/16" or 1/32") into a "U" shape as a repair cover piece that will fit right over the existing u-channel frame section with the rotted hole in it. Weld it over so it's structual, too... but not before treating the rusted thick steel reinforcement inside the actual frame. On the driver's and passenger's ends where this crossmember ties into the R+L frame rails, will need addressing, too. When they stamped it into it's shape (like wings) it made it thin, so it also rusted through easier. Before I sandblasted it all in '07, I used a needle gun to break away the scale, not knowing it would actually blow away all the punky parts of the frame's ends.

I also plan to hammer into shape a "cover" section for each end, as well, and weld it into place.

So, what's everyone's input?

Some may also notice the gas tank strap studs and the panhard bar's brace/bracket's stud sheared off, too. (I was impatient in '07 and didn't use heat... duhhh!)

How did any of you guys fix the broken panhard bracket's stud? I am going to have to cut open through the floor on top of the frame and drill out the old one, and make/weld in a new one. I plan to use something much better than mild steel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear Crossmember.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	30032   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear Crossmember 3.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	30033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear Crossmember 2.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	30034  
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....