Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone fast running air/water intercooler?

turbo addict

Anyone fast running air/water intercooler?

Considering an air/water intercooler for one of my GLHT's. This would be for a high 11 to low 12 second, drive anywhere car. Would rather not cut up radiator support as it is a very nice, low mileage car. Also wanting to retain A/C, so no huge FMIC is in plans. There are lots of challenges from a heat exchanger packaging standpoint in a 4 dr. L-body, I'm sort of surprised more L-bodies aren't running them? Anyone have any feedback?

Not wanting to debate which is better or more efficient etc., but if you have some pertinent info on why this would be a good or bad system, I welcome your comments.

Not interested in a drag/dyno only running ice bath. We all know the advantages there. This is for a quick street car that will see a dragstrip occasionally. Don't really want to discuss alky injection here either.

I'm not talking about running some hodge podge system running your uncles bilge pump, a welded up air/air intercooler, with a Honda Civic condenser now used as a front heat exchanger. Rather a well thought out, efficient, made for this purpose, system.

Todd

Re: Anyone fast running air/water intercooler?

Not mine, but on a local forum:
    I've got a water to air intercooler for sale. Comes with a bosch electric pump and water resevior. 300$ + shipping.

You will probably have to join to view the thread:
    http://www.turbo-2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1166
    later Dick Westerhof

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

One of the only setups i have seen on this forum is on c2xejk's turbo 3.0 spirit. Its not a low 12 second car, but if the motor was in an omni it probably would be. AFAIK he max'd out his small injectors and stock fuel pump at 240whp and hasnt been back on the dyno since then.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...of-Stein-Lives

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Many moons ago I saw a Buick turbo where the guy ran a huge cool can full of ice and ran a fuel line in a coil through it to a tranny cooler that he had mounted on his IC. He had ice cold water circulating through his system using an electric fuel pump. He also coiled quite a bit of that coolant line around his CAI piping! He said he could run a lot more boost without detonation and the car picked up over a 1/2 second...he'd drive it to and from the tack and it finally hit 10s...a black GN named Vadar on his plates! He had under $100 in the whole set up.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I just finished installing a AWIC setup on Bozo's Lebaron, we are taking the car soon (maybe today) to get it inspected so he can get new stickers for the tag so I can drive and tune it. Then I'll have some real world info for you. I drove it up and down the road a bit yesterday after warming it up, intercooler was still cool after a couple minutes of playing around with it. It was only at 10 psi though. It has the same intercooler and Bosch pump as what boost geek posted and a 26"x7"x2" heat exchanger from frozenboost.com .
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    I just finished installing a AWIC setup on Bozo's Lebaron, we are taking the car soon (maybe today) to get it inspected so he can get new stickers for the tag so I can drive and tune it. Then I'll have some real world info for you. I drove it up and down the road a bit yesterday after warming it up, intercooler was still cool after a couple minutes of playing around with it. It was only at 10 psi though. It has the same intercooler and Bosch pump as what boost geek posted and a 26"x7"x2" heat exchanger from frozenboost.com .
    Okay thanks Rob. I'll look forward to hearing some results.

Hybrid booster

I did a fair amount of reading and thinking about this last year. was getting ready for an i/c upgrade, and wanted whatever would produce reasonable results for a moderate expense and mostly hardcore street use. really didn't want to get into cutting the rad support, and keeping a/c (like you, but on a g-body). the pictures boost geek posted are pretty much the standard system for what is out there. as far as actual results, I really couldn't find much. most of what I read indicated it results were more consistent air charge temps across the spectrum (maybe a couple degrees cooler than air-to-air on strip runs, apples to apples) and better control at extreme boost. then I started factoring in plumbing, a good heat exchanger, and the occasional pump replacement, I decided bang for the buck just wasn't there, and fabrication (cutting) would be unavoidable. if you look at the dimensions of that unit, and start poking around in the engine bay, you'll see what I mean. relocate the battery (probably means putting it in back on a GLH-T with a/c), maybe then. just seemed like more work and expense than benefits. I ended up going with a better air-to-air setup.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ATaylorRacing View Post
    Many moons ago I saw a Buick turbo where the guy ran a huge cool can full of ice and ran a fuel line in a coil through it to a tranny cooler that he had mounted on his IC. He had ice cold water circulating through his system using an electric fuel pump. He also coiled quite a bit of that coolant line around his CAI piping! He said he could run a lot more boost without detonation and the car picked up over a 1/2 second...he'd drive it to and from the tack and it finally hit 10s...a black GN named Vadar on his plates! He had under $100 in the whole set up.
    Angelo,
    At Car craft Summer Nationals last year guy had big inch TT V-8 big with 5" intercooler pipes running to ice bath chest located in back seat and reservoir in trunk of a full interior GN. Dyno'd like 1400-1600 HP! Dyno session lasted like 2 seconds. I seem to remember first shake down run was like 8 flat at 180 MPH on very low boost setting. Balls made of steel to drive that thing...
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by x.Gen View Post
    I did a fair amount of reading and thinking about this last year. was getting ready for an i/c upgrade, and wanted whatever would produce reasonable results for a moderate expense and mostly hardcore street use. really didn't want to get into cutting the rad support, and keeping a/c (like you, but on a g-body). the pictures boost geek posted are pretty much the standard system for what is out there. as far as actual results, I really couldn't find much. most of what I read indicated it results were more consistent air charge temps across the spectrum (maybe a couple degrees cooler than air-to-air on strip runs, apples to apples) and better control at extreme boost. then I started factoring in plumbing, a good heat exchanger, and the occasional pump replacement, I decided bang for the buck just wasn't there, and fabrication (cutting) would be unavoidable. if you look at the dimensions of that unit, and start poking around in the engine bay, you'll see what I mean. relocate the battery (probably means putting it in back on a GLH-T with a/c), maybe then. just seemed like more work and expense than benefits. I ended up going with a better air-to-air setup.
    I didn't cut anything on the Lebaron, A/C was retained. Battery was relocated into the trunk, air filter is where the battery was. Although you might could route the cai pipes differently and still have a small battery up front, but it would extremely cramped in that corner then.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

turbo addict

I know this one does. It's in the passenger area where a seat would be.

Hybrid booster

^^ If you could figure out a way to plumb it... I always figured the heater core or passenger footwell/glovebox would be an awesome place to hide an air/water setup... plumbing could get tricky though... But done just right... that could be a real sleeper... even under the hood...

turbo addict

There was a guy with a red shadow that had an air to water. I know there's a video on youtube and I *think* the guy has the same username. It's worth a look on youtube and then you can see how it's done too. It's a great idea and works very very well, but it's more complex than most people want to get into. I think that's the main reason why it's not more common amongst our crowd.

T3rse has a AWIC setup in his Omni along with a 2.4. He put it under the dash.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    I didn't cut anything on the Lebaron, A/C was retained. Battery was relocated into the trunk, air filter is where the battery was. Although you might could route the cai pipes differently and still have a small battery up front, but it would extremely cramped in that corner then.
    on the bigger bodies, it is do-able...I just didn't think it was worth it, personally. other ways to squeeze the lemon for efficiency. if it was on a car with a mismatched turbo, like a TO4B (small cover), where you'd really need it, I would say otherwise. my budget was restrictive, his might be different - that was the larger factor. funds unlimited, you could fabricate your own A/W core that would fit without cutting. just wasn't for me.

when I was searching, I ran across a straight pipe i/c that was A/W (short run pipe with a core inside it and jacketed with fittings). basically something you could install in a confined spot in a system with or without an A/A cooler already. again, no real-world results available. I can't imagine with a short run a single unit would be too effective, and we have flow considerations on our stock coolers already.

Hybrid booster

turbo addict

There's a Garrett heat exchanger that I believe comes on the newer ford lightnings (can't spell that) It is practically made to fit in the middle of the GLH air dam. One hose would go right through where there's already a hole, might be able to route the other hose through the same hole. I was going to run it on my GLH with a water to air i/c system when I was thinking about putting the 16v in the back.

turbo addict

This was the guy I had in mind.

This same guy did a modified intake manifold with a raised roof and a 3.3l elbow. Actually, this intake inspried me to do mine, so if the guy reads this, THANKS!

Hybrid booster

Here is a link to the build pics for the above air to water install.

http://boostedmopar.com/forums/showt...water-air-unit

turbo addict

that live welll pump moves more water than any other pump I've seen. And it's cheap.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Good idea Todd. I think many jump to just cutting the core support for a FMIC. I like your style. The only concern would be the efficiency on 100° day with hot water in it.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast