Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Anyone fast running air/water intercooler?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Anyone fast running air/water intercooler?

The steel bumper is coming out of the Ramerati so this aluminum SC bumper can go in; as you can see, the heat exchanger from a F150 Lightening with its rubber mounting/corner pads can be finessed into that bumper; then the two fans came from what was left of a couple of KZ500 Kawasaki twins that were rotting away at the yard. I've plumbed Asa's two probe thermometer kit into the high and low sides of the over trans A/W IC, so that will tell me the delta in intake air temp that the set up delivers.

I might even get back to work on the Ramerati now that, after three years, I finally got the two post lift installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Two Post Lift 008 (2).JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	55812   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dual Ht Exchanger Fans.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	55811  
    Last edited by johnl; 08-05-2015 at 06:38 PM.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

Aren't you supposed to put the lift, you know, in the garage? Or is it too tall.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

i have one of those 2 core honda radiators as an air/water heat exchanger sitting there if my massive air/air intercooler makes my car overheat. and a air/water cooler and a mustang pump of course too.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Why is there so much *SPACE* around your lift John?? Can I park some stuff there

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

Oh Sh1t! Alan found empty space in Socal

turbo addict

So what's everyone running for pumps? Anyone had any failures?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, has anyone found a pump that could be engine driven? I think that would be the best way to go but I've never seen anything like that.

turbo addict

Why would you want it engine driven? We got rid of engine driven fans long time ago.

The setups I've delt with have both had the Bosch pump. 1 was brand new and is still up and running, the other is used sounds a bit funky just testing it dry, I have yet to install it and we'll see how long it lasts.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I have the Bosch pump also, still going strong. It is an OE grade pump, so it's made to last.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I have both the Bosch pump (in my van) and the bilge pump (in my wagon) that Frozen Boost sells. Both, so far are going strong.

I ran tests of a new Bosch/Ford pump against a Chinese 3 phase 12 volt pump off of ebay, see the pdf for its claimed specs. I concluded that the two pumps are equivalent in head and volume delivered over time.

The photo is of my test notes - at the top you can see that both pumps at 15 volts lifted 8 gallons straight up through 5 feet of 3/4" heater hose in just over 1 minute - the water shot out/cleared the end of the hose, carrying another 8" before turning and falling. 8 gallons, not ten, because that was the size of the tub I had.

Then, I note that the Bosch weighs two pounds, the Chinese 1.25.

Then, to test the pumps' ability to push through my system, I plumbed it all up on the engine stand, duplicating, or at least estimating, the runs of heater hose to and from the AWIC, pump, and the heat exchanger. As you can see, the two pumps were equivalent again, both taking just over 1:30 to pump 8 gallons through the system at 12 volts and just under that at 15 volts. The clear vinyl hose confirmed that I will be able to purge the air by way of a 1/8th NPT port on the IC tank that I will use to fill/top up the system.

I'll be using the Chinese pump because it has a far lower draw and because it is smaller lighter, smoother, and quieter. The say that it's rated for just about any fluid, including gasoline.

Welding of plate for DSM BOV onto the IC resulted in warpage that a mill file fixed.

Wrinkle paint on IC to match Masi VC and IM. The fill tank came from Shelby Thompson, IIRC he said it was out of a Saab turbo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AWIC Test 002.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	55883   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AW IC Pump Testing 030.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	55884   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polk Water 013.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	55885   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polk Water 055.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	780.0 KB 
ID:	55886  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by johnl; 08-11-2015 at 04:23 PM.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."

turbo addict

everytime I see that setup I keep thinking of running one vs the big air/air I have planned for my masi setup.

turbo addict

Where did you get the Chinese pump from?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    Where did you get the Chinese pump from?
    If you open the pdf file that I attached, then you can note key words for your search on ebay and likely find the same one.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    everytime I see that setup I keep thinking of running one vs the big air/air I have planned for my masi setup.
    Thanks for the compliment. If you do, then order an AWIC with 2.5" I/O instead of the 3" that I have for ease of connecting it up to the IM and turbo; the runs are so short, you don't need 3" and actually the 3" is almost too big in terms of minimum radius to make the bend and to reduce to the turbo's 2.25" outlet. But then 3" is what is common, and inexpensive. There is less choice in I/O sizes in this model/type of AWIC, especially when you want one with I and the O on opposite ends.
    John Laing

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

--Ayn Rand

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678