Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: increase power HELP

Garrett booster

Cool increase power HELP

hi there. i drive a 1987 chrysler lebaron 2.2L turbo I and am looking into increasing the power to it.
    Yes i have done a lot of research on this through forums and the dodge garage, but I dont seem to find the answers i need, just information.
    1. I want to install an intercooler but cant find any information on the right one/size/even if i am able to install one on my car.
    2. I hear upgrading the calibration will help the performance of my car. the ones i see on FWD performance seem legit. I am not sure what stage # i should get, or if it will be bad for my car. Any suggestions on what to do if i do replace my calibration with maybe a stage 3 cal?
    3. What are some easy/basic tune ups i can do to help the performance of my car?
    I have many plans for my car, right now we are in the middle of doing body work and painting it. I am doing all the "artsy look" stuff and possibly installing a cherry bomb exhaust, but i eventually want to increase the performance of it. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you, mike.

turbo addict

Re: increase power HELP

The 87 should be a blow through set up right? Not a log intake?

Considering that. A few things that make life easier for you would be to put a remote cone filter on it (taking the airbox out) It makes it really easy to work around. Add a manual boost controller, and an intercooler. Go to the junkyard and check around for intercoolers in there. You will need to do some mods to make them fit regardless what kind of intercooler. If you find an intercooled TII setup from a turbo mopar, be sure to grab the intercooler and radiator combo, intercooler couplers, bottom hose and any mounting hardware. You'll need a short 2 1/4" pipe to connect the two couplers to the throttle body. Another easy thing is, chop the muffler off and run just a pipe back, no muffler.

If you add a boost controller, and you dont intercool it DO NOT run anything over id say 12psi. If you fool around with the boost setting atleast get yourself an a/f gauge. :-)

Also, if you're talking about cals, i'd get it intercooled first. You see way better results when its intercooled. Just read the description on the cal and determine your goal. However, if you plan on doing more on it in the future, I wouldnt waste the money on one to start.

Thatll get you started. Then you will keep wanting more lol.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

87 would still be a log if it is still the stock setup. 88 was the first year for 1pc intakes on t1s.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Garrett booster

thanks for your input! i will look into going to the junk yard and hopefully finding an intercooler system I can use.
    What are your guys ideas on cold air intake instead? It seems easier, but I am not sure if itll be worth it or if intercooling is better.

turbo addict

Unfortunately since your car is a log intake according to Vigo. Intercooling it is quite a bit tougher than the blow through systems on 88-up TI or 86-upTII. Someone can point you in the right direction here, but I cant really. The only log we ever had we converted to TII spec.

Cold air intakes really seem to not do much, however it makes it easier to work around. I do them on every turbo mopar ive owned.

You can still turn the boost up a little and chop the muffler off too. Thats an easy $30 mod. Dont go overboard on the boost though.

Mike.

Garrett booster

ya i feel like intercooling will be extremely difficult, so i might just cold air intake it. Any preferred cold air systems that you recommend i use for best results?
    and by "turning the boost up" what do you mean?
    also i am planning on putting a cherry bomb exhaust.

There are no pre-made systems that i know of for your car. However, it is very easy to build one, ESPECIALLY on a log intake car because it has a 3" diameter inlet in a very convenient place.

For about $50 or less you can go to autozone or whatever is near you and buy a 3" intake accordion hose that accomodates a WIDE range of lengths and bends, and a 3" high flow cone filter for the end of it. The only 'cold' air intake i have on any of mine, i put the filter down low under the battery. The accordion hose gives you many options out of just those 2 basic parts.

Bah, just convert it to blow through, Ive got a T1 intake you can have, and I have the cover for the turbo to make T2 style and a exhaust manny. Id hit a junk yard..Adding the extra wires is no big deal either....then later if you want csx style T2 electronics itll be pretty easy.

That might be the best option, depending on your expectations. To make what i consider a fair generalization, 2.2/log/auto k-cars like yours generally do not get much faster than mid 15s in the 1/4 with basic mods. Past that, there is a steep diminishing rate of returns. People HAVE intercooled motors with that intake manifold by cutting and rewelding the inlet, and in lighter cars a few people have even gone very fast with it. However, it's a lot easier to get more power from the same amount of work if you replace it with the newer-style intake system.

So, depending on your goals you may either want to stick to the basic mods and have a mildly quick car, or put more work and time in up front in return for having more potential in the long run.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by trannybuster View Post
    Bah, just convert it to blow through, Ive got a T1 intake you can have, and I have the cover for the turbo to make T2 style and a exhaust manny. Id hit a junk yard..Adding the extra wires is no big deal either....then later if you want csx style T2 electronics itll be pretty easy.

He should already be on CSX-t type electronics. sotra...... He just needs to add the wires for the AIS and pop a new chip in his LM... Or buy a LM and run the AIS wires.... 87's are very easy to swap to T2 status...

Don't forget the 33pph injectors at least...

and yeah... Converting to blow through needs to be the first step for sure...

Garrett booster

I have been told many times that i need to convert to a blow through system first. So I figure i need to do so. I just honestly dont have a clue how to. I do have people with mechanical experience that will help me. I just need to do the research and find out step by step instructions. Is there any website that teach you how? or do you have any tips/suggestions for me? thanks.

turbo addict

thedodgegarage.com, turbo database, and number 24 I believe. How to convert 85-87 TI to TII status. Its fairly easy, just time consuming. If you havent done much mechanical work, its a job but itll really make you learn your car.

I prolly have everything you need. let me know if your truly interested. But hit the junk yard to get any parts you can to save on shipping.

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vipernbox View Post
    He should already be on CSX-t type electronics. sotra...... He just needs to add the wires for the AIS and pop a new chip in his LM... Or buy a LM and run the AIS wires.... 87's are very easy to swap to T2 status...

Don't forget the 33pph injectors at least...

and yeah... Converting to blow through needs to be the first step for sure...
    Well he'll need throttle body, turbo adapter and exhaust manny..he wont need 33pph injectors unless he runs T2 cal..yes..no...he could run 88 T1 cal?

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetona View Post
    thedodgegarage.com, turbo database, and number 24 I believe. How to convert 85-87 TI to TII status. Its fairly easy, just time consuming. If you havent done much mechanical work, its a job but itll really make you learn your car.
    True, true!
    Last edited by trannybuster; 03-22-2011 at 07:52 PM. Reason: add

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by LeBaronMike View Post
    I have been told many times that i need to convert to a blow through system first. So I figure i need to do so. I just honestly dont have a clue how to. I do have people with mechanical experience that will help me. I just need to do the research and find out step by step instructions. Is there any website that teach you how? or do you have any tips/suggestions for me? thanks.
    http://fwdmopar.50megs.com/cgi-bin/f...09/T2conv.html

Hybrid booster

Well there WAS one log type intercooler kit, the Spearco. I have one. A guy near me just parted his kit out unfortunately. But honestly, I have it for nostalgia reasons, plus it was already on the car when I bought it. If I had a stock T1, I would convert it as well. I don't have huge power aspirations either, mainly due to FWD traction limitations.

Derek

All the kit really does is have you pay waaaaaaaay more money to get the same result as just handing your manifold over to someone who can weld/braze aluminum. It's physically very easy to mod the manifold for intercooling since the design is so simple and the intake manifold comes off without taking much else apart. Then you have to mount your intercooler and route your plumbing of course, but that part is pretty similar to putting an intercooler on any other kind of car anyway.

But if you are OK with the idea of a 't2 swap', i think thats a better option in the long run anyway.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    All the kit really does is have you pay waaaaaaaay more money to get the same result as just handing your manifold over to someone who can weld/braze aluminum. It's physically very easy to mod the manifold for intercooling since the design is so simple and the intake manifold comes off without taking much else apart. Then you have to mount your intercooler and route your plumbing of course, but that part is pretty similar to putting an intercooler on any other kind of car anyway.

But if you are OK with the idea of a 't2 swap', i think thats a better option in the long run anyway.
    Yeah, there isn't much to the 'kit', but there was no T2 at the time, I believe. I was just stating that there was a kit, cause someone said there wasn't. Again - T2 conversion is the better way to go. UNLESS you don't want to go through all the trouble of removing just about everything but the block from the car. It's not the cost, it's the labor. But doing it yourself is 'free', and you learn a lot. I easily could have gone T2 since I have the whole thing apart, but decided not to. My 'next' car...

Derek

Pulling the head isnt a big deal, you might as well get pratice now I would install some head studs, itll save you some cash in the long run. The parts you need are not that spendy, and I prolly have most of it, so lmk if you need anything or maybe someone can set you up that lives nearby..?? DO some reading on it, there is plenty of it.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by trannybuster View Post
    Pulling the head isnt a big deal, you might as well get pratice now I would install some head studs, itll save you some cash in the long run. The parts you need are not that spendy, and I prolly have most of it, so lmk if you need anything or maybe someone can set you up that lives nearby..?? DO some reading on it, there is plenty of it.
    Exactly. When I was 16 it was my first car related project.

Garrett booster

Thanks everyone for your input and help. I may plan on converting it to a t2 status but that is a lot of labour work. Just for consideration, if I were to not forego doing the t2 swap, what other things do you all reccommend I can do to increase the power?Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast