Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Want to get rid of drone?

Hybrid booster

Re: Want to get rid of drone?

That may help somewhat. I just put 40 sq ft of Damplifier underneath/behind my rear seat and the package tray in my 72 Pontiac to lessen the drone.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Did it work on the Pontiac?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

Yes it did help, but not as dramatic as replacing the mufflers would have helped. On old cars like that there is a lot of unsupported sheet metal. Not sure how much an effect it would have on our unibody cars.

Garrett booster

I had a 3" exhaust put on my minivan straight out the back. It had terrible drone noise from 40-60mph. I took it back and talked to the guy about it. All he did was put a slight downward bend in it and it made a HUGE difference!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Yeah, turn down positioned so the sound cannot rebound back up under the car, and soft motor mounts/dog bone. Then you can add sound deadening material in the spare tire well and around the trunk floor; just patches is all you need, in the middle of the big panels that might resonate.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Sound deadener is my next purchase. I added some more timing at the cruise table and it really helped, did this on Saturday.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12